The Student Room Group

Urgent- deadline tomorrow and need help with choices

Hi :smile: My school wants my UCAS application in for tomorrow and I'm applying to Cardiff, Bristol, Leicester and Keele (and Queen Mary's for biomed which I am not going to do). My UKCAT is 590 (I know, shoot me) so I am very limited with my choices. I'm not taking the BMAT this year as UKCAT revision has already gotten me very behind on school work. Basically, my dilemma is whether to change Keele or Leicester to Birmingham. I have 8a* and 2as at GCSE and AAAA for As. I'm applying for Keele as they accepted with 54something UCAS last year but I only have 2/4 things to put on the roles and responsibilities form and one work experience. I'm applying for Leicester as I have 57.5 which was the cut off point score thing two years ago and apparently last year's (59.5) is supposed to go down. They also sometimes interview people with one less that the cut off point. However, as these two choices are very risky I don't know whether Birmingham is a better option. My personal statement seems to be the best part of my application right now.
I understand that this is very last minute. I have constantly been switching between these choices over the last few days as people have been telling me various things, so thought I should get some other opinions. To be honest, due to my appalling UKCAT, I am pretty sure I will be having to take a gap year next year. However, I still want to try my best to get in this year.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Original post by parawitch
Hi :smile: My school wants my UCAS application in for tomorrow and I'm applying to Cardiff, Bristol, Leicester and Keele (and Queen Mary's for biomed which I am not going to do). My UKCAT is 590 (I know, shoot me) so I am very limited with my choices. I'm not taking the BMAT this year as UKCAT revision has already gotten me very behind on school work. Basically, my dilemma is whether to change Keele or Leicester to Birmingham. I have 8a* and 2as at GCSE and AAAA for As. I'm applying for Keele as they accepted with 54something UCAS last year but I only have 2/4 things to put on the roles and responsibilities form and one work experience. I'm applying for Leicester as I have 57.5 which was the cut off point score thing two years ago and apparently last year's (59.5) is supposed to go down. They also sometimes interview people with one less that the cut off point. However, as these two choices are very risky I don't know whether Birmingham is a better option. My personal statement seems to be the best part of my application right now.
I understand that this is very last minute. I have constantly been switching between these choices over the last few days as people have been telling me various things, so thought I should get some other opinions. To be honest, due to my appalling UKCAT, I am pretty sure I will be having to take a gap year next year. However, I still want to try my best to get in this year.
Any help would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Leicester is very risky. The previous 57.5 cut off was from a different scoring system where the max score was 60. I doubt it is going to drop down to 57.5 this year. Birmingham would probably also be risky, although perhaps less so as its the first time they're using the ukcat.
Get rid of Keele and replace with Birmingham. Last year my friend got rejected from everywhere except Leicester for medicine (which was his highest ranking uni anyway!) anyway he needed AAA to get in but got AABB on results day and they still accepted him! so Leicester might have a bit more flexibility than you think if the rest of your application is great and you do brill at interview. Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Get rid of Keele and replace with Birmingham. Last year my friend got rejected from everywhere except Leicester for medicine (which was his highest ranking uni anyway!) anyway he needed AAA to get in but got AABB on results day and they still accepted him! so Leicester might have a bit more flexibility than you think if the rest of your application is great and you do brill at interview. Good luck x

Posted from TSR Mobile

The problem is they would be unlikely to get an interview at Leicester with that score.
Reply 4
ok, so combining both of your ideas, would Keele and Birmingham be better than Keele and Leicester? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending