The Student Room Group

How do you tell someone they stink?

Scroll to see replies

Lord, one time I was on a bus and there was a homeless guy on it who absolutely stank of piss. What's harsh is that 2 chavs were laughing out loud and parring him and making really exaggerated gestures of covering their noses and mouths.
Reply 21
maybe you could try writing "hey [insert name here], i know it's kind of embarrassing but you don't smell your best right now!" on a small post it note and just put it in her pencil case when she's not looking

it's best you tell her than anyone else cos they might bully her and it will hurt a lot more

she'd only be embarrassed when she reads the note but she'll appreciate it and she won't know it's you, and hopefully she'll take better care of herself and it'll be for the best
Original post by abc:)
If you hang out with her, you could bring up personal hygiene, as one of those pointless things friends talk about. At uni in my house we would have conversations like 'omg I haven't showered for three days!' (that did happen, it does happen, we probably smelled like your friend). If you say something like that, she might go 'wait what, you shower more than every three days?' and there's your opportunity to tell her yes, that's normal, that's what people should do.

Sickening.

Vile.

Nasty.
Reply 23
Original post by tehforum
Sickening.

Vile.

Nasty.

I know, I know. My friend once went to Corp (if you know, you know. If you don't know, picture the dirtiest club you've been to and multiply it by 10), pulled, had sex, and didn't shower for three days.
I remember when a guy in my class in primary (I'm in an all girls' now, so specifying this is very important :lol:) was known for being smelly. And once a guy was dared to smell his armpits and he started throwing up and the teacher thought the boy was imitating vomiting sounds until he saw what was on the floor and told Duran to put some deodorant on :rofl:

I was dead (from laughter). The armpit of death :rofl:
Pull her aside after your lesson with her and tell her.
I wouldn't say anything - spray some deodorant and man up, this will make her feel really self conscious of herself !

Original post by z33
in class, tell them to put their hand up for you because you're writing, while they have their hand up, tell them to look to the right or whatever arm they're holding up

their nose will end up right in their armpits and they'll faint

that should get the message across

Although this made me laugh so hard I nearly choked :biggrin: :rofl:
Original post by thecatwithnohat
Ew :erm:

There's one thing you can do: don't. It will really hurt their feelings and make them feel INCREDIBLY embarrassed if you mention it to them.
So? Who cares if it hurts their feelings. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

If they seriously have their feelings hurt by someone telling them they stink (which is the truth), they need to grow a thicker skin.
Reply 28
Original post by SEASHELL<3
I wouldn't say anything - spray some deodorant and man up, this will make her feel really self conscious of herself !

Although this made me laugh so hard I nearly choked :biggrin: :rofl:

:tongue: haha im glad
Original post by snowman77
So? Who cares if it hurts their feelings. Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind.

If they seriously have their feelings hurt by someone telling them they stink (which is the truth), they need to grow a thicker skin.

cruelty in ya bones
Original post by z33
:tongue: haha im glad

That's a good quote right there :smile:
cruelty in ya bones
It's better to tell people these things to their face instead of laughing behind their backs about it.

You've made on hell of a point.
It's better to tell people these things to their face instead of laughing behind their backs about it.

Yes, I do agree. But you'll also need to sit down for a bit and think about how you say will affect the person who'll need to hear it.

That's why I said just pull the girl aside and tell her. But people are timid. If I knew everyone was bothered by her smell and was too scared to say anything, I'd just go up to her after class. She'll probably be so embarrassed that she'll go :redface: and then if she's not mentally broken she'll fix it.
Original post by LondonGirl21
Thank you, I was thinking about that today. I was just wondering which one.

Tbh in a way i feel like thats a bad solution. It might relieve you of the awkwardness of telling her but you are passing it onto your teacher, its just as uncomfortable for her! Tbh you guys should tell her instead of the teacher, its less embarrassing for her as well to hear it from her classmates instead of knowing her classmates told the teacher to deal with her so now the teacher knows as well etc...
Yes, I do agree. But you'll also need to sit down for a bit and think about how you say will affect the person who'll need to hear it.
Sometimes you just need to be blunt. It's the best way of getting through to someone. Don't tiptoe around the issue - tell it to them straight.
cruelty in ya bones

Tbh no she would do her a favour by telling her.
Ask which deodorant she uses in a casual conversation and start talking about yours and how you only use a really strong one because you hate smelling and hopefully she gets the hint. Or tell her to try one and say its so good so she wants to try it
Sometimes you just need to be blunt. It's the best way of getting through to someone. Don't tiptoe around the issue - tell it to them straight.

Geez I dunno man :erm:, I just feel like it's a lot worse when someone in your class tells you rather than one of your friends. Only friends should be able to comment on your appearance and hygiene, because you could easily mistake the person in question for bad-mouthing you, even if what they said was the truth.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending