The Student Room Group

Choosing my firm!

Hiya, I am an A2 student who has recently received offers from my favourite two unis (insurance and firm) to study history and politics.
From Warwick was an AAA offer, and from Birmingham an ABB offer (with an A in EPQ).
However, I am a bit stuck, because Birmingham has offered me an unconditional place if I put them as my firm!
I love both of the universities, but know that Warwick is more prestigious in my subjects and (arguably) a more respected uni.
However, an unconditional is amazing and the fact that Birmingham is near a city and has better transport links is appealing to me.
Wanted to ask anyones opinion as I am stuck!
Thank you!!! :smile:
Original post by AbbiePeasy
Hiya, I am an A2 student who has recently received offers from my favourite two unis (insurance and firm) to study history and politics.
From Warwick was an AAA offer, and from Birmingham an ABB offer (with an A in EPQ).
However, I am a bit stuck, because Birmingham has offered me an unconditional place if I put them as my firm!
I love both of the universities, but know that Warwick is more prestigious in my subjects and (arguably) a more respected uni.
However, an unconditional is amazing and the fact that Birmingham is near a city and has better transport links is appealing to me.

You shouldn't feel obliged to accept an unconditional offer.The most important thing is to select the uni that you would feel happiest at; regardless of anecdotal evidence, league tables, etc (although factors like these may influence how happy you think you'll feel)

Birmingham are throwing out unconditionals like confetti. If you prefer them to Warwick that's fine, simply firm Birmingham and that's that.

However, which course do you prefer? That's the most important thing. Look at the modules, the possibilities of a year or semester abroad. Any difference?

If you are worried about Warwick's AAA offer take a dispassionate look at your marks. You have half of them already - what did you get at AS? Are you easily on track for AAA or better or are you on the A/B borderline?

You have ages to decide! Have a long think about it and maybe go back to look again at both of them?

Hey, wonder if you can help? My pet theory is that unconditional offers are causing a depreciation in A-Level attainment. If you took the unconditional at Birmingham, would you have the same drive to achieve AAA or would you take your foot of the gas and settle with lower grades?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending