The Student Room Group

Doctors ordered to report patients to DVLA

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MichaelGreen
Not sure where you get that idea, the DVLA are a bureaucratic nightmare that will take your licence away in a flash and have you jumping through hoops for months on end for so much as ticking the wrong box.

I am well aware of that thanks. My dad had to fight to get his back, despite there being no evidence. On the flip side, I did used to know someone who was told to apply for a licence and send the rejection to the council in order to get his bus pass. He didn't send payment because he knew he would be rejected. He got accepted, despite the fact that he shouldn't have been granted a driving licence in the first place.
Original post by 41b
So if they are unsafe to drive, then surely it is the doctor's responsibility, according to your own logic, which would require them to report their patients to the DVLA.

No. When I go to see the doctor they should be focused on diagnosing and treating me. THAT is what should be at the 'forefront' of their mind. Not whether it's safe for me to drive.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
'The guidance also emphasises that when doctors diagnose a patient's condition, or provide treatment, they should keep the patient's ability to drive safely at the forefront of their minds.'

This angers me. A doctor should be focused on treating their patient to improve the patient's quality of life. Not focused on 'is my patient safe to drive?'

So presumably wrapping your car around a tree (god forbid another car) because of your poorly controlled epilepsy wouldn't impact your quality of life, then?
Original post by OU Student
I am well aware of that thanks. My dad had to fight to get his back, despite there being no evidence.

Must have been awful, all too common a story though. Until the DVLA are fit for purpose forcing patients through that bureaucratic nightmare for some the notifiable illnesses I just copy pasted from the DVLA site below is just downright nasty.
A
Absence seizures
Acoustic neuroma
Addison’s disease
Agoraphobia
AIDS
Alcohol problems
Alzheimer’s disease
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Amputations
Angina
Angioma
Angioplasty
Ankylosing spondylitis
Anorexia nervosa
Anxiety
Aortic aneurysm
Arachnoid cyst
Arnold-Chiari malformation
Arrhythmia
Arterial defibrillator
Arteriovenous malformation
Arthritis
Asperger syndrome
Ataxia
Attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Autistic spectrum disorders (ASD)
B
Balloon angioplasty (leg)
Bipolar disorder
Blackouts
Blepharospasm
Blood clots
Blood pressure
Brachial plexus injury
Brain abscess, cyst or encephalitis
Brain aneurysm
Brain angioma
Brain haemorrhage
Brain injury (traumatic)
Brain tumours
Branch retinal vein occlusion
Broken limbs and driving
Burr hole surgery
C
Caesarean section
Cancer
Cataracts
Catheter ablation
Cardiac problems
Carotid artery stenosis
Cataplexy
Cerebral palsy
Chronic aortic dissection
Cognitive problems
Congenital heart disease
Convulsions
Coronary artery bypass or disease
Coronary angioplasty
Cystic fibrosis
D
Deafness
Defibrillator
Déjà vu
Dementia
Depression
Diabetes
Diabetic retinopathy
Dilated cardiomyopathy
Diplopia (double vision)
Dizziness
Drug misuse
E
Eating disorders
Empyema (brain)
Epilepsy
Essential tremor
F
Fainting
Fits
Fractured skull
Friedrich’s ataxia
G
Giddiness (recurring)
Glaucoma
Global amnesia
Grand mal seizures
Guillain-Barré syndrome
H
Head injury
Heart attack
Heart arrhythmia
Heart failure
Heart murmurs
Heart palpitations
Heart valve disease or replacement valve
Hemianopia
High blood pressure
HIV
Hodgkin’s lymphoma
Huntington’s disease
Hydrocephalus
Hypertension
Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy
Hypoglycaemia
Hypoxic brain damage
Hysterectomy
I
Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICD)
Intracerebral haemorrhage
Ischaemic heart disease
K
Kidney dialysis
Kidney problems
Korsakoff’s syndrome
L
Labyrinthitis
Learning difficulties
Left bundle branch block
Leukaemia
Lewy body dementia
Limb disability
Low blood sugar
Lumboperitoneal shunt
Lung cancer
Lymphoma
M
Macular degeneration
Malignant brain tumours
Malignant melanoma
Manic depressive psychosis
Marfan syndrome
Medulloblastoma
Memory problems (severe)
Meningioma
Mini-stroke
Monocular vision
Motor neurone disease
Multiple sclerosis
Myasthenia gravis
Myocardial infarction
Myoclonus
N
Narcolepsy
Night blindness
Nystagmus
O
Obsessive compulsive disorder
Obstructive sleep apnoea
Optic atrophy
Optic neuritis
P
Pacemakers
Palpitations
Paranoia
Paranoid schizophrenia
Paraplegia
Parkinson’s disease
Peripheral arterial disease
Peripheral neuropathy
Personality disorder
Petit mal seizures
Pituitary tumour
Post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Psychosis
Psychotic depression
R
Renal dialysis
Retinal treatment
Retinopathy
S
Schizo-affective disorder
Schizophrenia
Scotoma
Seizures
Sight in one eye only
Sleep apnoea
Sleepiness (excessive daytime)
Spinal problems and injuries and driving
Stroke
Subarachnoid haemorrhage
Syncope
T
Tachycardia
Temporal lobe epilepsy
Tonic clonic fits
Tourette’s syndrome
Transient global amnesia
Transient ischaemic attack (TIA)
Tunnel vision
U
Usher syndrome
V
Valve disease or replacement valve
Ventricular defibrillator
Vertigo
Vision in one eye only
Visual acuity (reduced)
Visual field defects
VP shunts
W
Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome
from my reading of the advice, it is if the GP has serious concerns for safety.

It's not " the patient has admitted that in the past, they drank/took drugs"

If the GP knew that a pilot was an alcoholic who had to down half a bottle of vodka for breakfast, he would be wrong to just ignore the consequences of keeping quiet
Must have been awful, all too common a story though. Until the DVLA are fit for purpose forcing patients through that bureaucratic nightmare for some the notifiable illnesses I just copy pasted from the DVLA site below is just downright nasty.

If you flick through the list, many of those aren't blanket requirements. They often have some underlying conditions that indicate informing the DVLA. (e.g. cancer if it produces neurological symptoms, or are on medication that influences ability to drive).

A number of them specifically state that you do not need to inform the DVLA (e.g. high blood pressure).

Either way, seems reasonable to me.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by domonict
from my reading of the advice, it is if the GP has serious concerns for safety.

It's not " the patient has admitted that in the past, they drank/took drugs"

If the GP knew that a pilot was an alcoholic who had to down half a bottle of vodka for breakfast, he would be wrong to just ignore the consequences of keeping quiet

This.

The recent Germanwings pilot suicide rings a bell.

The whole thing was rather ridiculous. If you have epilepsy, you're banned for a certain amount of time. (I can never remember which way around it goes) Your ban can then be extended if during the ban, you have another seizure, which is what happened. He was banned for longer because he was supposedly still having problems. But according to him and his GP, he actually wasn't.

According to that list, I've got a scary amount of notifiable conditions. Ouch.

I think with some people, (ie, when it comes to things like sight impairment - I've got one condition which appears to be causing problems slowly) it's not always overly obvious to them as to how safe they are with driving. Hence, probably why the suggestion of the GP involvement. I've probably been watching too much TV; but there have been a few cases where some have been driving, caused accidents and it's been because of things because of their eyesight and other medical problems which affect their ability to drive.
Do you agree with this or is patient confidentially more important? Is it really a GPs job to inform the DVLA?

While there are clearly far too many people on the roads that shouldn't be there, I don't think it should be doctors responsibility and the erosion of trust it may cause will be more damaging. It will certainly make me think twice before mentioning certain things to my GP, I won't be telling them about any past drug use for instance.

There's no way they can possibly contact your GP on the timescale of 3-4 weeks(around the time taken for most people to get their provisional licenses), considering it usually takes months for them to retrieve the medical information from the GP(by which point they're almost ready for another medical questionnaire from you and to retrieve your medical information again). So it's a moot point really.

Original post by OU Student
The whole thing was rather ridiculous. If you have epilepsy, you're banned for a certain amount of time. (I can never remember which way around it goes)

One year. Of course, in addition it'll probably take 6-9 months to get a new license after the ban has passed.
(edited 8 years ago)
Disagree, patient confidentiality, loss of trust with patient and will affect ability to diagnose in future.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ekno
I can see your argument and yes its true, it could potentially harm the doctor-patient relationship and they may withhold giving all the infomation to them.

On the other hand, if that person its a potential danger to the public, its the doctors duty to inform the DVLA to avoid a potentially serious accident before it happens. Better safe than sorry imo

Evidence? All you can tell the DVLA is that you THINK he's drinking again etc. Leading further down the line of more avoidance behaviour. Long term problems to this policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 31
Original post by That Bearded Man
Evidence? All you can tell the DVLA is that you THINK he's drinking again etc. Leading further down the line of more avoidance behaviour. Long term problems to this policy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

yeah, if there's no evidence the persons driving then it can cause problems. The best way would be to advise the person to no longer drive, then there will be less negative backlash on the doctor.
Original post by Ekno
yeah, if there's no evidence the persons driving then it can cause problems. The best way would be to advise the person to no longer drive, then there will be less negative backlash on the doctor.

Yup. And that's exactly the way it is at the minute.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending