The Student Room Group

Top Up / Upgrade from PGDip to MSc

I am looking for ways to take my formal education on a par with the skills I managed to acquire independently over 5+ as a web developer.

I currently hold

- a BA in Philosophy
- a Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism

I would like to upgrade/top-up my Postgraduate Diploma in Journalism, but it seems very hard to find a programme which would allow to do so.My idea would be to top up to a programme where I could study the Digital Media / Computation / IT part as well (journalism would either be a mandatory part of the programme or even electives).

Does anybody have any advice on specific programmes to look for? It's been very tough so far.

Thank you.
Reply 1
Must admit, I'm not sure how that would be possible. A PGDip is essentially the taught elements of a standard Masters course but without the dissertation/independent research element. A Masters would be awarded for the full year of study, so you couldn't get Uni B to award you for two-thirds of the qualification which you'd previously completed at Uni A. In addition, you've already accepted the PGDip which isn't returnable, and you can't be given more than one award for the same work.

Have you looked into less standard routes like the OU? Have you approached the uni where you originally gained your PGDip?

The most likely scenario is that if you want a Masters, you'll have to start one again from scratch.
(edited 8 years ago)
This is a really unique dilemma so it is worth contacting individual unis for their thoughts on this.
Unfortunately that uni doesn't go so "far" as awarding a Master's, only PGDip.
Original post by Mad_Griffith
Unfortunately that uni doesn't go so "far" as awarding a Master's, only PGDip.

Shop around :smile:
You can go look for the specific MScs you want to have then ask the universities directly whether you can be exempted from doing certain modules.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending