The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Avoids making a complete derail of the thread talking about the monotheism of the Holy Trinity :p:.

Hmm yes, maybe your friend should talk to Mystery about it :p:.

(Sorry Mystery :wink: )
maria737
i wanna go into medicine?

i'm picking chem, bio, history adn sociology.
history will be the one i'll carry on for A-level aswell as chem and bio but i might do all 4. i'm not picking maths cause i have a much better chance at doing better at history and i just can't stand physics and i heard something like history is ok to pick. i was wondering if i should change it to something like psychology? also, do you have to have a B at maths gcse to get into medicine or will a C do?

That's a great line up. Don't listen to anyone who tells you you need or will be better considered with Maths/Physics. If you enjoy these subjects, take them but they won't give you an advantage over anyone unless you're going for Cambridge or Sheffeild. History and Sociology are subjects which allow you to think analytically and focused wise and they are academic so all universities will be pleased with them...and psychology isn't a science subject so having that really won't give you a leg up either. Most unis will want a B in Maths and English Language GCSE, but some (eg peninsula) will be happy with a C.

Basically in short, take Bio + Chem and any two other academic subjects

Hope that helped :smile:

Well the best combination would be physics, biology, chemistry and maths- indeed that is the combination favoured by Cambridge and many other universities. I believe that a pass in maths gcse is required and so a C is suitable.

Umm maybe like 100 years ago. The only unis that want 3 maths/sciences are Sheffield and Cambridge.
Reply 22
thanks, it did help. i'm not sure if i'm right but i think i read Manchster only wants a C for maths too? i think i read it on the student room wiki medicine page. i could easily get a B overall in maths, i just need aout 90 maks out of around 120 i think. i'm doing intermediate, thing is i was good at maths, it was one of my strongest subjects and then i totally ****ed up on my SATS cause i didn't wanna be in set 1 again with the teacher i hated and i got put into set 3 in year 10:s-smilie: . i totally gave up then and i just can't be arsed with it anymore, i'm gonna try for a B though.
unless u wanna apply for something like b'ham or st.andrew's ur alright with a b

i know that most of the london unis don't really care about gcse's so long as it meets min. requirements.

good luck!:smile:
bio, chem, physics and maths mite not be sucha good combo cos most unis say that they prefer candidates with an art subject cos it shows your well rounded....
Reply 25
thanks. i *couldn't* stand to do all 4. i'd probably kill myself. i mean i can't stand physics at gcse. why the **** would you wanna work out a moment?:confused: i never got that crap.

funny thing is, i only wanna do medicine. i just wanna be a doctor, not a pharmacist or anything else so i kinda wish i was doing history/law instead of history/sociology cause law has always interested me. if i didn't get in for medicine i'd love to just turn to law. i know they're polar opposites but...meh. hopefully i'll get into medicine. dammit, i shouldn't even be thinking about this, i should be revising for them pointless GCSEs eh?
Reply 26
i feel old when i hear people talk about GCSEs...
Lol even I do! Even at 19 , seems ages ago, eh Revenged? :smile:
Reply 28
I did GCSEs in 2000. Half you lot were still in primary school!!! :eek:
Reply 29
Philosoraptor
Lol even I do! Even at 19 , seems ages ago, eh Revenged? :smile:

indeed... life is passing me by... the scary thing is i don't think i've changed much in all that time... i'm still wasting far too much of it playing computer games, watching tv, posting on random internet forums and avoiding work... lol...
Wow, you sound exactly like me. Too much so. And I'll be with you. This is weird. :p:

:ninja:
Helenia
I did GCSEs in 2000. Half you lot were still in primary school!!! :eek:

pah - 1995 I did mine...
Ok PQ, you win :p:
yeah i know they say that about psychology, but ironically on my course we do do dream analysis and alot of other interesting stuff to control behaviour, needless to say i think the mind reading is a far-fetched but you can definetly start to suss out peoples behaviour....
and personally is i were you

id do bio chem history and psychology.

history rocks, it may be the onli subject you have to show that you arent just a sciency person but that you are an all-rounder with analytical skills.
Those subjects are fine, do what you want (obv including bio and chem), because it will make your life so much easier. I picked maths, because I quite liked GCSE, and I was told it was a 'good subject' to do, it was a complete nightmare. If I'd chosen something I really wanted to do, it would have been a lot better and less stressful. What matters is that you get the grades, and an A in sociology or whatever will help so much more than a lower grade in maths/physics. There is no need to do extra sciences unless you want to.

Really try and get a B in maths gcse, some places will accept a C, but having a B just gives you more options. If you dont get it though, its not the end of the world.
i did mine last year lol
maria737
i wanna go into medicine?

i'm picking chem, bio, history adn sociology.
history will be the one i'll carry on for A-level aswell as chem and bio but i might do all 4. i'm not picking maths cause i have a much better chance at doing better at history and i just can't stand physics and i heard something like history is ok to pick. i was wondering if i should change it to something like psychology? also, do you have to have a B at maths gcse to get into medicine or will a C do?

I think that 1 art subject is fine e.g. history, but the arts from what I have heard is a lot to revise at As and A2 level and science is more important obviously :p: in medicine.

Biology is a KILLER you could stay revising all day and may only have revised 15 pages of a 200 page book but it is an important A level if you can take it for medicine. Obviously you need to take chemistry which I find doesn't take too long to revise.

Perhaps you should think of doing 3 AS levels instead, because really the worth of sociology I wouldn't have thought would be great to Uni's. Or do something like maths. There is virtually nothing to revise and it is a good aleviater of pressure when you are up at 12 o'clock at night cramming for the exams. I know you don't like mathsfrom what you have said but As maths isn't that more challenging than GCSE from my experience but obviously at A2 level it will get a lot harder so perhaps that would be an appropriate time to drop one.

So I would say his, bio, chem and either psychology which is a lot of work from what I have seen of the AQA syllabus or maths if you can persuade yourself to do it then do.

Or a safer option just the three AS levels but some unis like Imperial do want you to have taken 4, Cambridge would have liked you to have taken 4 and it would be a disadvantage if you only took 4 for them.

Ox won't mind 3

I am afraid I am not that clude up on many of the other medicine unis so they may want 4 As or only 3. Look at their websites to find out.

Good luck whatever :wink:
i wouldn't do sociology and wherever possible do maths!
milesalexanderappleyard
Perhaps you should think of doing 3 AS levels instead, because really the worth of sociology I wouldn't have thought would be great to Uni's.

Bad advice! Most med schools seem to look for 4 AS + 3 A2 unless your school just doesn't do 4 AS levels as a rule.

Latest

Trending

Trending