The Student Room Group

Why did we let people return back to Britain, from Syria?

Why? Its not like they could claim it was a holiday.

Deport them to...... Syria.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any examples op? Generally people aren't flying in from Damascus airport.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Aj12
Any examples op? Generally people aren't flying in from Damascus airport.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cannot remember the source (it was a trusted one) which said 400 Britains had gone to Syria and 200 had returned......
Reply 3
Original post by mmm778899
Cannot remember the source (it was a trusted one) which said 400 Britains had gone to Syria and 200 had returned......

Are you sure that wasn't St. Ives?
Reply 4
Why? Its not like they could claim it was a holiday.

Deport them to...... Syria.

Why did we let people return back to Britain after fighting in Iraq without a UN resolution? It is not like they could claim that Iraq had ever threaten the UK.
Deport them back to Iraq to face justice from the people there (not from the puppet government we put in charge there so we can steal their oil...)

Plain and simple.
tbh, for those who wish to go to join Islamic State, our government should pay to fly 'em out, and destroy their passports.
Some crazy UN rule that says that member states aren't allowed to make anyone stateless (or so I've heard anyway).
Original post by Hydeman
Some crazy UN rule that says that member states aren't allowed to make anyone stateless (or so I've heard anyway).

Makes sense to me. Making someone stateless pretty much ends their capacity to live a normal, fulfilling life.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
Makes sense to me. Making someone stateless pretty much ends their capacity to live a normal, fulfilling life.

It's alright in principle, but it's arguable that member states should be able to make an exception when following this rule poses a direct threat to national security.

You might also argue that these jihadis are now citizens/subjects of the Islamic State. It's an unrecognised state, but a state nonetheless (although I'm unsure whether they issue passports/their 7th century equivalents or not). :tongue:
Original post by Hydeman

I don't have a passport, and I'm not stateless.
Original post by Skip_Snip
I don't have a passport, and I'm not stateless.

You could get one if you applied and paid a fee; a stateless person couldn't. Not possessing a passport doesn't mean that you don't have citizenship.
Original post by Hydeman
You could get one if you applied and paid a fee; a stateless person couldn't. Not possessing a passport doesn't mean that you don't have citizenship.

There you go then. We can destroy the passports of those who wish to join Islamic State without making them look stateless.
There you go then. We can destroy the passports of those who wish to join Islamic State without making them look stateless.

I don't think the people whose citizenships the Home Office wants to revoke are people who're hoping to join the Islamic State. They're more concerned with those who've already joined the IS and they presumably took their passports with them so, yeah, it's not that simple.
Original post by Hydeman
I don't think the people whose citizenships the Home Office wants to revoke are people who're hoping to join the Islamic State. They're more concerned with those who've already joined the IS and they presumably took their passports with them so, yeah, it's not that simple.

Sorry I should have been clearer, I was following on from my first post in the thread, where I said the Home Office or whoever should offer a free ride to those who wish to join, on the condition that their passports are destroyed.
Sorry I should have been clearer, I was following on from my first post in the thread, where I said the Home Office or whoever should offer a free ride to those who wish to join, on the condition that their passports are destroyed.

Ah, I see. I don't agree but what you were saying makes sense now. :wink:
:rolleyes:
Reply 16
Original post by TeeEm
Why did we let people return back to Britain after fighting in Iraq without a UN resolution? It is not like they could claim that Iraq had ever threaten the UK.
Deport them back to Iraq to face justice from the people there (not from the puppet government we put in charge there so we can steal their oil...)

Plain and simple.

You do realise how pathetic that comeback is I take it?
Reply 17
Original post by Hydeman

Why couldn't we make them members of "state" ISIS?
Reply 18
You do realise how pathetic that comeback is I take it?

I am awfully sorry you found it pathetic.
Thank you for educating me ...
Why couldn't we make them members of "state" ISIS?

What?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending