The Student Room Group

Medicine at Oxford with these GCSE's ?

I know this topic has been done to death but i never got a real answer. My goal is to study medicine at Oxford and they place heavy emphasis on gcses results. However I got 6A*s 3As and 1 B only less than 2% of people with similar results were let in last year. My school had a A* to C rate of 34 % this year if this is taken into consideration could I make it into their medical school ? as im competing with people that have 10 A*S and even 12 A*s but more averagely 9A*s.
Thank you. :smile:
Original post by ChiefKwen
I know this topic has been done to death but i never got a real answer. My goal is to study medicine at Oxford and they place heavy emphasis on gcses results. However I got 6A*s 3As and 1 B only less than 2% of people with similar results were let in last year. My school had a A* to C rate of 34 % this year if this is taken into consideration could I make it into their medical school ? as im competing with people that have 10 A*S and even 12 A*s but more averagely 9A*s.

My honest opinion is that it will be an uphill battle. As you know, the odds of someone with you GCSE profile making it to the interview is very, very low, let alone getting an offer (see http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics). By all means, you could certainly apply regardless and hope to nail the BMAT, but considering that you only have 4 choices for Medicine, I think it makes more sense to apply to your strengths and maximize your odds of getting an offer.

Personally, I would shoot for Cambridge - if you do very well in AS, that would certainly put you in good stead.
Reply 2
Original post by mishieru07
My honest opinion is that it will be an uphill battle. As you know, the odds of someone with you GCSE profile making it to the interview is very, very low, let alone getting an offer (see http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics). By all means, you could certainly apply regardless and hope to nail the BMAT, but considering that you only have 4 choices for Medicine, I think it makes more sense to apply to your strengths and maximize your odds of getting an offer.

Personally, I would shoot for Cambridge - if you do very well in AS, that would certainly put you in good stead.

Ok, thanks, what are my chances for imperial college london ?
You need to have all the information available, such as UKCAT and AS results, before making any firm decisions.

However your chances would not appear to be good, as you have already identified.
Reply 4
Ok, thanks, what are my chances for imperial college london ?

Your GCSE results are fine for Imperial, just be aware that the average is going to be higher but good AS results/BMAT/interview performance are all as important
Reply 5

I know someone who got into Oxford for medicine with the same grades as you, although I think it was 4 As. If you do well on the BMAT paper and do well at the interview I see no reason why not.
Reply 6
Hey guys,

Just asking what position these GCSEs put me in- I acknowledge there are a ton of other factors that will be looked at when applying. I received 10.5 A*s, 1 A and 1 B. Do half GCSEs get considered? And the B was received in year 9.

Also, does anyone find it difficult to manage homework and revision? Also, do you think that January is the best time to start intense revision or is that a tad early?

Many thanks for help- Hasbro
Original post by hasbro7
Hey guys,

Just asking what position these GCSEs put me in- I acknowledge there are a ton of other factors that will be looked at when applying. I received 10.5 A*s, 1 A and 1 B. Do half GCSEs get considered? And the B was received in year 9.

Also, does anyone find it difficult to manage homework and revision? Also, do you think that January is the best time to start intense revision or is that a tad early?

Many thanks for help- Hasbro

Your GCSEs are basically perfect - what are you expecting people to say? Duhhh of course you have a shot. Stop taking up someone else's thread and trying to show off

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mizzsnazzter
Your GCSEs are basically perfect - what are you expecting people to say? Duhhh of course you have a shot. Stop taking up someone else's thread and trying to show off

They're actually below average for an Oxford medicine offer holder, so I think its understandable that people get anxious.

I would agree that there is no reason to not apply though, yes.
Original post by nexttime
They're actually below average for an Oxford medicine offer holder, so I think its understandable that people get anxious.

I would agree that there is no reason to not apply though, yes.

Sorry I was meant to have quoted the person above me not the OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sorry I was meant to have quoted the person above me not the OP

You did.

I stand by my statement.
Reply 11
You did.

I stand by my statement.

What's the average?
You did.

I stand by my statement.

You're saying 10.5 A* is below standard for GCSEs? Think you're the mistaken one here... Most people only take 10 so he's already above average even if the average get straight A*

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by okey
What's the average?

10.2A*s excluding short courses.

You're saying 10.5 A* is below standard for GCSEs? Think you're the mistaken one here... Most people only take 10 so he's already above average even if the average get straight A*

See above link. The average is 10.2A*s (excluding short courses) and average proportion of A* offered is 0.94, which are both higher than his.

But obviously they are still pretty good and places him well within cohorts with reasonable (>10%) chances of getting in.
Reply 14
you hijacking my thread mane ? ........nah I'm joking. Your grades are VERY strong, don't worry about them. I'd say for now focus on as levels, work experience and a few extra curricular activities for your personal statement if you can at the moment.

Also take a look at this:
http://www.uniq.ox.ac.uk/content/medicine

I can't get in because im one grade from the boundary but you can, so go for it mane.
My experience was that they want to see upward progression academically, so if you show that GCSEs don't really matter past having a good set of them. If you have special circumstances then they take that into consideration, and they will check to see if you were amongst the best in the year.

Essentially, don't worry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending