The Student Room Group

Vet Nursing Personal Statement

Hey! I was wondering if anyone else is applying to veterinary nursing next year and also what you guys are putting in your personal statements? I'm having trouble starting it because I have lots to write but I just don't know how to start.
Help!
1) You need to explain why you want to do VN - and not just 'because I like animals and enjoy science' or using examples of how the Vet saved your hamster's life when you were 6. There isn't an easy answer to this, or a 'best way' to do it. You just need to avoid sounding 'teenage' in your motivation.

2) Explain your work experience clearly. You should have at least 2 weeks of work experience in a clinical setting - preferably small animal practice. Some contrasting experience such as further experience in a vet hospital or big animal practice is useful if you can manage it. Any other 'animal experience' such as RSPCA, Stables, farming etc shows you aren't afraid of hard work and you aren't just obsessed with 'fluffy kittens'.

3) Use examples from your work experience to show what you learnt about VN work - think about the reality of dealing with owners not just the animals.

4) Show that you are a 'all round' person - other hobbies, ability to face a challenge, community involvement - anything that shows you 'join in' and enjoy hard work, or have a sense of community responsibility. Explain why you are mentioning this stuff - don't just list hobbies with no comment.

Facing a blank piece of paper is scary. Try to get round this by writing notes or headings first, then 'filling' these out more into sentences, then paragraphs. Or jump straight in and explain an important moment during your work experience when you realised or learnt something really important about veterinary work - you can start with that if you choose to, in many ways it can be attention grabbing, and revealing about you and your perceptions about VN work.

Good Luck!
Great Advice. Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending