The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by anitax
If you learn it just to defend yourself?

I am thinking of doing something like kung fu, but even if I learn it I am still a skinny 5"6 woman.. For self defence purposes can a martial art for women be much use? :yep:

Would you just do it for defense purposes? I mean, sport is never useless, but if you have specific goals you want to reach than it may be another case. I have a friend who has also done championships in martial arts and she is definitely not a tall and masculine-looking woman. But she did it because of the fun factor and the exercise. Hope I could help you somehow. :smile:
Reply 81
I learn Taekwondo (Kukkiwon/WTF) for almost 15 years now since I was 9 years old & I am both international Taekwondo instructor & Hanmadang referee certified by Kukkiwon World Taekwondo Headquarters. Martial arts train you both physically & mentally. When I was 13, there was a big guy (taller & heavier than me) treated me like his male friend by simply slapped my back whenever he went through beside me for almost half-year, I had never slapped him back because I adhere to the disciplinary values teaching in martial arts by my master. One day, I was in a very bad mood & he did the same thing on me. My action was faster than my brain. I just simply slapped (not use much of my power at all) him back due to my body's natural response. I caused him a very serious big bruise behind his back until it was needed for him to get an injection from doctor to cure it & recover.
Reply 82
Original post by Howard
Martial arts is really handy is you attackers are considerate enough to come at you one at a time at the speed of a snail. Boxers will generally kick the crap out of you before you've had a chance to assume you stance.

In my view the best protection you can get is via the training you get in unarmed combat in the Army. Just shear strength, aggression, speed, and brutality.

The stances are automatically applied when someone who seriously trained in any martial arts, is dealing with the attacker without any assumption or prediction. The skills is totally irrelevant to types/forms of martial arts, in contrast, the efficiency & effectiveness of self-defense skills depend on the practitioners themselves. Besides, boxers use stances as well, just outsiders don't know about that. The efficiency for the transmission of power & the performance of body energy & explosive forces are related to the stances (motive object's centre of gravity), we called it as "sport science".
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 83
Original post by anitax

I am thinking of doing something like kung fu, but even if I learn it I am still a skinny 5"6 woman.. For self defence purposes can a martial art for women be much use? :yep:

Martial arts can be really interesting & fun actually ^^Not only learn for self-defense =P
Maybe you will change your mind or previous perception towards martial arts after you watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hcNbZQH_TE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HG9vve0Tqo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxqO2gewb2U

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwGOeN0_eFA
Original post by anitax

Depends which one you do, something like Aikido is pretty pointless but if you do something brutal like Krav Maga or Systema with stress training you have a lot more chance of surviving an actual street encounter. I remember seeing a news article about a 12 year old girl who got attacked by a 30 year old man injuring him with Krav Maga badly enough that he was caught by the police.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 85
Training martial arts for self-defence is in most cases not a good investment in my opinion. The shock and ferocity of real violence is significant. Unless your training puts you under combat stress triggering fight-or-flight response, your training won't be sufficient to cope with the adrenaline and loss of motor control that real violence will give you.

Also, the sheer amount of effort, money and opportunity cost it takes to learn a martial art to a respectable degree is not a particularly balanced trade-off, especially when the best self-defence techniques are free (exercising caution, keeping your ego in check, knowing when to leave, etc.). Even if you get into 5 fights in your life (and that's a lot for someone trying to stay out of trouble), each fight will probably last for less than 1 minute, making a total of 5 minutes in your whole life that you've spent thousands of pounds and years of your life for, that won't even necessarily significantly raise your chances of victory (factors like surprise, weapons used, multiple attackers, etc., make a huge difference).

Having said that, I've moved to Japan to study martial arts. Martial arts have a lot to give people, but I think self-defence is one of the most overrated aspects. In a lot of places in the world now, it's quite easy to avoid violence. For most of us, the chances of getting seriously injured in a fight are quite low. If you want to learn martial arts, do it for something that will make a difference in your life.
There are also other benefits of doing a martial arts.
Definitely not
Original post by anitax

Original post by therealman
Definitely not

old thread,

Latest