The Student Room Group

Do universities ask for your GCSE certificates?

Hello Uni students! ,

I have a quick question regarding my situation, Did you have to verify your GCSEs with the uni to enrol?

Do they accept transcripts? as some of my GCSE certificates are damaged/lost

But UCAS have accepted and verified my GCSEs from the transcript(results statement) so would it be okay right?

Please Help! Thank you x

Scroll to see replies

Original post by visionarychild
Hello Uni students! ,

I have a quick question regarding my situation, Did you have to verify your GCSEs with the uni to enrol?

Do they accept transcripts? as some of my GCSE certificates are damaged/lost

But UCAS have accepted and verified my GCSEs from the transcript(results statement) so would it be okay right?

Please Help! Thank you x

Unis only accept certificates but unless you have an interview it's unlikely that they would ask to see them.
Original post by claireestelle
Unis only accept certificates but unless you have an interview it's unlikely that they would ask to see them.

Yes I have 3 interviews, one this year and two in February. Does that mean it won't be required?

They are applicant days and interviews as they mention but they said nothing about certificates?
They are applicant days and interviews as they mention but they said nothing about certificates?

I would get them replaced just in case they ask for them, what is it you applied for? :smile:
I would get them replaced just in case they ask for them, what is it you applied for? :smile:

Okay I will try as it's going to be a lot of money from different exam boards :frown: and it takes ages,
I applied for pharmacy :smile:
Probably depends on the uni, I was never asked to show mine at either my undergrad or postgrad university. Neither of them even asked to see my A levels. Postgrad accepted a scan of my degree cert.
Reply 7
Okay I will try as it's going to be a lot of money from different exam boards :frown: and it takes ages,

you probably will need them yes

Depends on the exam board but I got replacements back in under 2 weeks. Give admissions a call if you want to check they definetly need to see them.
Depends on the exam board but I got replacements back in under 2 weeks. Give admissions a call if you want to check they definetly need to see them.

wow that's a lot faster than what they told me! and I have emailed all my choices regarding my situation. I'm just waiting for someone to respond as they are open tomorrow
Original post by infairverona
Probably depends on the uni, I was never asked to show mine at either my undergrad or postgrad university. Neither of them even asked to see my A levels. Postgrad accepted a scan of my degree cert.

Loving the username LOL :smile:

Which university did you go to?
Loving the username LOL :smile:

Which university did you go to?

Thanks :smile: made years ago when I was obsessed with eng. lit.

Undergrad Southampton, postgrad KCL.
Thanks :smile: made years ago when I was obsessed with eng. lit.

Undergrad Southampton, postgrad KCL.

Ahh right that's awesome! for me it's Sussex,Portsmouth or Brighton
Ahh right that's awesome! for me it's Sussex,Portsmouth or Brighton

You could email them to ask but I imagine they would say they expect you to have a copy in case you are asked (i.e. they won't openly say you won't need them) but you probably won't need them. I would suggest wait until the time and when you go to enrol deal with it then. Otherwise you're going to spend loads on copies that it's quite likely you won't even need.
You could email them to ask but I imagine they would say they expect you to have a copy in case you are asked (i.e. they won't openly say you won't need them) but you probably won't need them. I would suggest wait until the time and when you go to enrol deal with it then. Otherwise you're going to spend loads on copies that it's quite likely you won't even need.

I will do just that! thank you so much for the advice :smile: I don't really want to spend almost £200 on copies :/ tbh and I'm sure if UCAS have it on record then I won't need too
I will do just that! thank you so much for the advice :smile: I don't really want to spend almost £200 on copies :/ tbh and I'm sure if UCAS have it on record then I won't need too

Yeah I wouldn't wanna pay that either, I've never had to show anyone my A levels or GCSEs once I had my degree. My most recent job asked for A levels but I have no idea where they are and I said look I've got my degree cert, if I didn't get these A levels I wouldn't have got in the uni isn't that enough? And they accepted it.

Probably a good idea to keep your A level certs safe until you've got your degree cert though...
If you took your GCSEs in the UK, your Firm University will receive your existing GCSE grades/subjects online from UCAS before you enrol. They will spot at that point if you dont have what you said you did on your UCAS application. You will therefore NOT need to have your original GCSE certificates at enrolment. You certainly wont need to produce them at any Offer Day or Interview.
Yeah I wouldn't wanna pay that either, I've never had to show anyone my A levels or GCSEs once I had my degree. My most recent job asked for A levels but I have no idea where they are and I said look I've got my degree cert, if I didn't get these A levels I wouldn't have got in the uni isn't that enough? And they accepted it.

Probably a good idea to keep your A level certs safe until you've got your degree cert though...

Oh don't worry I have all of my A-level certificates with me lol
but I know exactly what you mean, like how can I possibly achieve science and maths A levels without decent or any GCSEs? so I guess I won't worry too much at the moment. Just out of curiosity what degree did you do? those Unis are amazing
Original post by returnmigrant
If you took your GCSEs in the UK, your Firm University will receive your existing GCSE grades/subjects online from UCAS before you enrol. They will spot at that point if you dont have what you said you did on your UCAS application. You will therefore NOT need to have your original GCSE certificates at enrolment. You certainly wont need to produce them at any Offer Day or Interview.

Thank you!! I appreciate this informative reply
Oh don't worry I have all of my A-level certificates with me lol
but I know exactly what you mean, like how can I possibly achieve science and maths A levels without decent or any GCSEs? so I guess I won't worry too much at the moment. Just out of curiosity what degree did you do? those Unis are amazing

Yeah keep them safe, I know mine are around somewhere but I have no idea where. I did Law undergrad and doing Medical Law postgrad

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending