The Student Room Group

Why do you walk past homeless people or beggars?

Scroll to see replies

I do my bit occasionally, but where I live I see them smoking or drinking. I'm not having my money go to waste like that.
Original post by Quantex
People do turn to substances or substance abuse becomes worse when they end up on the street. But I'm not sure it's a question of begrudging them, rather that you are potentially enabling them by giving them money. You've already mentioned the problem, the cold. Alcoholics have short life spans on the street, they either sober up and start to sort themselves out or they get wasted and freeze to death. Alcohol/substance abuse problems account for around 1/3 of homeless deaths.

http://www.crisis.org.uk/data/files/publications/Homelessness%20-%20a%20silent%20killer.pdf

So would you suggest just not to give them money? Alcoholic or not, they still need to eat and drink.
I've barely got enough to live on myself, so as much as I do feel bad about not giving them money I've also seen the campaign Newcastle council has been doing about there being no 'truly' homeless people in the city.

I've got quite a few heat packs (rip them open, after a few minutes they heat up and can keep you warm for up to 20 hours) left over from my trip to Japan though, so if I've got one of those on me I'll give them to someone who's on the street. No-one deserves to be freezing, alcoholic/addict or not.
Original post by Anonymous
Walking through town, obviously very few people give money to EVERY beggar or homeless person or charity collector that they see.
but if you walk past or ignore a homeless man sitting on the ground with a cup for money, and you DO have money with you, what is your reason for not donating?

I always feel terrible for walking past someone like this and sometimes I have very bad excuses such as "my wallet is in my bag, I'd have to rummage for it and it would take too long\not worth the effort."

Also some people say that some "beggars" are pretending and arent actually homeless (?)
I know I'm not alone in this, but does it make us bad people ?

the booze feels better in my stomach.
Because they make me erect and it's awks to stand there with a boner
Reply 65
I feel bad but being a student I don't have money to give every homeless person I see. There's a lot of fake homeless people/beggars in London as well.
Reply 66
Because I don't have any money. If I was richer maybe I would give something.

6 years ago, when I started as a student I used to give a lot. Not much, but I always gave something. I was thinking "I won't give anything to beggars" then one comes and I just had to give them something. Sometimes I only had 20 cents, so I would grab them and tell them I'm sorry but that's all I have. And most of the time they would say something like: "that's it? You think I'll do something with only 20 cents?". Hmm yeah, shouldn't have given anything they would have been nicer.
Once I watched this woman beg with her husband for money in west London. By 5pm they upped their stuff and walked off for the day - I can't believe some people actually make some sort of profit just sitting and begging people for some even though they're not actually in the deepest pitfall of poverty

And a lot of the time, the people you see aren't really homeless homeless, they're just don't have a set place they'd call home and sofa surf

I felt good when I bought one elderly man a pot of mixed fruits from Tesco, though. But it's not a regular thing.
Reply 68
Reading on these comments, I just want to suggest a couple of things1. When it comes to smiling at them, it's a bit tricky, however I remember speaking to a homeless man and he said he doesn't even mind if people don't want to give him money, he just wishes people would treat him more of a human being and stop for a chat or anything like that. 2. Never think giving them small change is bad, they have nothing and every little helps, even if it's just 20p it may mean that was the 20p that they needed to be able to afford a sandwich3. I think it is also naive to think that homeless people always spend it on drugs/alcohol. And if you do feel so strongly about this why not buy them a meal or provide them with a small bag of necessities?4. People that are complaining that the government should be dealing with this problem with their tax money, don't use that as a excuse. We all know the problem of homeless people in the UK is very serious and it is clear that the government aren't helping much. I would say if your intentions are pure and you really do want to help them, wouldn't it be better to directly give them money (or buy a meal) and know that your money went to a good cause.
Reply 69
Original post by Justmoll28
i don't think it makes us bad people at all, i mean, sure there are some people that have been made homeless for no reason at all, but usually the majority of people on the streets are there through bad life choices of their own, why should i give them money that i have worked hard for just for them to spend on drugs/alcohol. you'd be naive to think the homeless only spend the money they receive on food/drink that they actually need.

You be naive if you think every homeless person spend money the get on drink and drugs.
Reply 70
That's why I usually only give them spare food if I have it. Often they seem much less ungrateful to get food rather than money. The nerve!
Reply 71
I don't like denying beggars money, though when a bit skint I must confess that one of my ways of skimming the selection to find the 'worthiest' - preposterous as an idea to begin with, heh - I'd pick the ones which didn't have dogs over than those that did.

But, my friend told me that - apart from company's sake - they have dogs mainly as they can claim a little bit of money for its upkeep, which helps. Then I felt a bit of a chump.

Nowadays the only beggars I'll turn down are most of those in my home city of Preston - in keeping with the city's nature in general, I know some of them which are right thuggish, heckling, ungrateful gits and though I'm not entirely comfortable with my solution, I'm not going to give my money to a feller I know treats me and everyone else like an arse.
Because I don't have to

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't have money to give. I have to receive money to give it first. Some of em scare me. I don't see how giving homeless people money makes me or anyone else mean I lack morals. Even I did give money to them does that make me morally superior to those who don't? No. And you can never be too sure they will use that money for food so it is like a gamble. Will they get high or buy food? I don't know. It is not anyone job's to pay the homeless. Just sayin. It is thoughtful but not like a job you have to do.
(edited 8 years ago)
I try to help out when i can. Just hope that one day it doesn't happen to you/!?
Original post by Anonymous
Walking through town, obviously very few people give money to EVERY beggar or homeless person or charity collector that they see.
but if you walk past or ignore a homeless man sitting on the ground with a cup for money, and you DO have money with you, what is your reason for not donating?

I always feel terrible for walking past someone like this and sometimes I have very bad excuses such as "my wallet is in my bag, I'd have to rummage for it and it would take too long\not worth the effort."

Also some people say that some "beggars" are pretending and arent actually homeless (?)
I know I'm not alone in this, but does it make us bad people ?

tbh I don't give a s*it. Homeless people are not my responsibility, and I don't owe them anything, also I don't work a 7 hour shift on my feet all day to give my money to a stranger on the street. I have my own stuff going on and it kinda pisses me off when hard-working people are made to feel guilty about not giving money...
Original post by digitalangel18
tbh I don't give a s*it. Homeless people are not my responsibility, and I don't owe them anything, also I don't work a 7 hour shift on my feet all day to give my money to a stranger on the street. I have my own stuff going on and it kinda pisses me off when hard-working people are made to feel guilty about not giving money...

my wife also has a full time job. Your point being?
Reply 77
I think the 2p coin has been especially designed to be given to beggars, since it takes a lot of space in the wallet/pocket and is worth nothing.
When I'm in the UK, I'm happy to find a beggar to get rid of these.
I rarely carry any cash with me and doubt homeless carry an ATM with them. Anyways, I've given one guy who asked me for money my last £10.. But if I gave every homeless person I met a note, I'd have no money for myself either. If I had more money, I'd give it to them but not all of us live in palaces, have cars and earn loads of money..
I rarely go out and if I do I don't really have cash on me anyway. Also I'm usually quite short of money myself. My friend is homeless so I help her out with bits but that's about it.

Last time I tried to help a homeless guy in Manchester he was asking everyone for spare change to buy a burger so I went in a cafe nearby and got a burger for him. He took it poked it a bit and just went nah I don't eat meat and gave it back. I got kinda annoyed tbh and that's the kinda stuff that puts people off.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending