The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge for Medicine: AS: Physics and Math A2: Bio and Chem

Which university do I have a better chance of getting an interview at with A-level Biology and Chemistry and only AS level Physics and Mathematics.

I don't have GCSE's.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ib_hopeful
Which university do I have a better chance of getting an interview at with A-level Biology and Chemistry and only AS level Physics and Mathematics.

I don't have GCSE's.

? are you doing IB and A-Levels?

Why?

But in general terms Cambridge interviews a higher proportion (approx 80%) of medicine candidates compared to Oxford (30%).
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I believe you need 3 full A levels to even be considered for entry. I think Cambridge wants 3 Science/Maths subjects to A2, one of which must be Chemistry. Not sure about Oxford though.
Reply 3
Original post by STLJA
I believe you need 3 full A levels to even be considered for entry. I think Cambridge wants 3 Science/Maths subjects to A2, one of which must be Chemistry. Not sure about Oxford though.

In other threads the OP says they are doing IB... (and so does their username...)
Reply 4
Original post by jneill
In other threads the OP says they are doing IB... (and so does their username...)

*facepalm*

My apologies. Ignore my post. If I wasn't black I'd be blushing red right now.
Original post by jneill

Then why are they talking about A Levels and AS Levels?

I'm confused...
Reply 6
Original post by Chief Wiggum

I'm confused...

So am I...

We await some clarity from the OP...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Chief Wiggum

I'm confused...

Perhaps theyre considering all their options

I don't have GCSE's.

In all honesty, neither. I mean if we're just talking about probability then prpbably cambridge because they interview a lot more applicants

Without three a levels, and i dont mean to be so blunt, but it seems incredibly unlikely. And most medic hopefuls will be doing 4 or even 5 A2s. Id assume all med schools require atleast 3 to evem consider you either. You could get away with 2 good a level grades at a less competitive university (e.g. those that offer in points)
Reply 9
Original post by timelizard
You could get away with 2 good a level grades at a less competitive university (e.g. those that offer in points)

Do any med schools make UCAS points offers? I doubt it.

Anyway this is all moot until OP clarifies their situation. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im almost certain they dont, but I wasnt talking about med schools, just that 2 a levels would only be enough if you applied to a course that gave offers in points
Reply 11
Original post by jneill
? are you doing IB and A-Levels?

Why?

But in general terms Cambridge interviews a higher proportion (approx 80%) of medicine candidates compared to Oxford (30%).

IB SL is equivalent to AS-level and IB HL is equivalent to HL, so I tried to make it easier since most people are more familiar with A-levels than IB.

I am in fact in IB :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

I realise I just complicated things by trying to simplify them!

To be clear, my IB subjects are

(HL= higher level. SL= standard level) (HL= A-level. SL=AS-level)

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
English HL

Physics SL
Math SL
French SL

Normally, you can only do two sciences in IB but they made an exception. IB is extremely demanding and I would not be able to take Math or Physics at HL on top of my current HLs.

What to do, what to do...
Reply 13

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
English HL

Physics SL
Math SL
French SL

Normally, you can only do two sciences in IB but they made an exception. IB is extremely demanding and I would not be able to take Math or Physics at HL on top of my current HLs.

2 science HLs is fine. One must be Chem.

e.g. King's Cambridge requirements (check other colleges if you need to):
http://www.kings.cam.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/subjects/medicine/subject-requirements.html

(BTW, stop trying to complicate things by saying HL is equivalent to an A-level. They are different exam regimes. Just stick to talking about IB. TSR is very familiar with it...)
(edited 8 years ago)

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
English HL

Physics SL
Math SL
French SL

That changes things a lot - there is a big difference between A-levels and IB.
Regardless of what subjects you study, you have a much greater chance of getting an interview at Cambridge, simply because they interview more applicants. If you have decent predictions, you have a very good chance at a Cambridge interview. However, your chances of getting into one or the other are similar. How much emphasis they each place on admissions tests probably affects your chances more than what subjects you are doing.

It's also important to remember that Oxbridge is only really better for medicine if you want to go into research, and medicine in general is very competitive, so it is more important to carefully decide whether to apply for medicine than for other subjects.
Reply 15
Original post by sweeneyrod

It's also important to remember that Oxbridge is only really better for medicine if you want to go into research, and medicine in general is very competitive, so it is more important to carefully decide whether to apply for medicine than for other subjects.

^this
Reply 16
Original post by sweeneyrod
That changes things a lot - there is a big difference between A-levels and IB.
Regardless of what subjects you study, you have a much greater chance of getting an interview at Cambridge, simply because they interview more applicants. If you have decent predictions, you have a very good chance at a Cambridge interview. However, your chances of getting into one or the other are similar. How much emphasis they each place on admissions tests probably affects your chances more than what subjects you are doing.

Main reason I'm applying is because the first three years are all science. The more theory the better! Thanks so much for your help!

Biology HL
Chemistry HL
English HL

Physics SL
Math SL
French SL

You can't achieve the baccalaureate without a Group 3 subject - are you doing certificate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Main reason I'm applying is because the first three years are all science. The more theory the better! Thanks so much for your help!

Cambridge require 3 sciences (including maths) at HL. If you apply I'd expect a pre-interview rejection unless you do phenomenally well on the BMAT. Apply to Oxford, get good grades, and become an brilliant doctor. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
Original post by A Square
Cambridge require 3 sciences (including maths) at HL. If you apply I'd expect a pre-interview rejection unless you do phenomenally well on the BMAT. Apply to Oxford, get good grades, and become an brilliant doctor. 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile

No they don't.

See my King's info above

"...you must take Chemistry, and two further subjects from Biology, Mathematics, Physics. At least one subject out of Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics and Physics must be studied at Higher Level."

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending