The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Official St. Hild & St. Bede college thread 2016

Scroll to see replies

I just got accepted at Hild Bede i was wondering how the postgraduate accommoddation looks like ?
If there are many activities to get to know people and have fun?
Ive never been to durham, im a little scared to be in a place i dont know anyone.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Forgot to mention, ill be studying psychology, how far is hild bede from the psychology building ?
also heard the accommodation for postgraduate looks like living in a prison... :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Nathyribeiro
Forgot to mention, ill be studying psychology, how far is hild bede from the psychology building ?
also heard the accommodation for postgraduate looks like living in a prison... :frown:

It's about a 20-25 minute walk or 10 minutes by bus. No the post grad accommodation is much nicer than undergrad :smile:
Original post by cerlohee
It's about a 20-25 minute walk or 10 minutes by bus. No the post grad accommodation is much nicer than undergrad :smile:

Oh nice! Thanks for the info! Ive never been To Durham but i look forward to it. Suppose to arrive last week of September :smile:
Original post by Nathyribeiro
I just got accepted at Hild Bede i was wondering how the postgraduate accommoddation looks like ?
If there are many activities to get to know people and have fun?
Ive never been to durham, im a little scared to be in a place i dont know anyone.

You'll get either put into the extension of Hild, bottom of Thorpe, or one of the houses. The PG accommodation will also be roughly the same as some of the UG accommodation, slightly better on average.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 85
Hello Everyone I'm studying Chemistry in October and really looking forward to it.
I was just wondering if anyone saw or knows of anywhere to safely keep a bike at Hild Bede or if its even worth bringing one to get to the departments?Pretty ecstatic to see everyone in freshers
Original post by MattSyke
Hello Everyone I'm studying Chemistry in October and really looking forward to it.
I was just wondering if anyone saw or knows of anywhere to safely keep a bike at Hild Bede or if its even worth bringing one to get to the departments?Pretty ecstatic to see everyone in freshers

When I talked to a lot of people there they said bikes are a bit of a pain because it's so hilly :smile:
Reply 87
People online have been saying it's a mare but the ambassadors when I went said it was ok.
I doubt it matters. A walk by the riverside aint that bad 😊
People online have been saying it's a mare but the ambassadors when I went said it was ok.
I doubt it matters. A walk by the riverside aint that bad 😊

I agree about the walk - it was so nice walking into town when I visited :smile:

My friends has one at it seems to be useful if you don't mind cycling uphill! There are quite a few places for bike storage though :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by cerlohee
My friends has one at it seems to be useful if you don't mind cycling uphill! There are quite a few places for bike storage though :smile:

Oh thats great news then. I was worried there wiukd be no where to keep it.
Thanks for letting me know
Reply 91
Hi, I've also been accepted into hild bede and was wondering if any current students had any photos of the undergrad rooms. The photographs on the website only show a corner and you can barely see any of the room. Thanks
Original post by maxfe
Hi, I've also been accepted into hild bede and was wondering if any current students had any photos of the undergrad rooms. The photographs on the website only show a corner and you can barely see any of the room. Thanks

I'd take a pic of mine but its a double room and not representative of a standard one.
Reply 93
Original post by maxfe

I was in a standard room almost identical to the one in the picture herehttps://www.dur.ac.uk/hild-bede/undergraduate/accommodation/when I went on the open day.If it helps there was a window immediately to the left of the photographer and behind them to their right a basin and wardrobe. If the photographer was in my room they'd be standing against the basin in the very corner. Rooms might be different as well depending on which building you're in and where I guessI know this isn't much to go on but I hope it helps.
Reply 94
Thanks, the room looks alright. Not the best but i'm sure I'll manage
Original post by maxfe

I posted the pictures I took on the visit day on this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63692039&postcount=67 :h:
Reply 96
Original post by Gingerbread101
I posted the pictures I took on the visit day on this post: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=63692039&postcount=67 :h:

That actually looks more spacious than I was expecting, thanks!
Hey everyone. I'm YC from Singapore, and I'll be studying Law. Never been to the UK before so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for the new guy.
Reply 98
In the North East it's generally pretty overcast most of the time. Its by no means cold just not pleasant. Probably the biggest thing if you're coming from Sunny Singapore 😄
Original post by Chan-Mochi
Hey everyone. I'm YC from Singapore, and I'll be studying Law. Never been to the UK before so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for the new guy.

I'll be doing Law too :h:
Be prepared for variable weather I guess; always carry an umbrella :tongue: I wouldn't say there's any massive cultural norms or things everyone does though :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest