The Student Room Group

Ucas extra

Is it possible to use UCAS extra if you have received some offers but do not want to do those courses anymore, I really want to change to a nursing course!
Original post by DomiNateTricks
Is it possible to use UCAS extra if you have received some offers but do not want to do those courses anymore, I really want to change to a nursing course!

Yes

The only restrictions on using UCAS extra is that you hold no offers currently - so either if you were rejected by all your choices or you decline any offers you received then you'll be placed into Extra.

*However* nursing is extremely competitive so you need to be even more careful to do your research before applying anywhere for nursing through Extra.

For Extra you only apply to a single choice, if they reject you or you decline their offer then you can submit a second choice but this all takes a lot of time.....which means that you want your first Extra choice to be somewhere you really really want to go to and somewhere that is highly likely to give you an offer. Which means RESEARCH.

Phone up universities offering nursing who appear to be still open to applications through Extra on UCAS course search. Check that they're actually open and ask about your chances of getting an offer (for example you could explain your qualifications and ask what proportion of applicants this year have received offers v rejections), you'll also need to ask if they require you to submit a new nursing focused PS to them directly (get one prepared so you're ready!). Contact a LOT of universities to get a long list of possible choices and then check and double check their course content and the university environment. If possible see if you can visit *before* applying - maybe over the Easter holidays. Come up with a shortlist of your favourite choices and rank them.

When you've done your research and have your ranked list of universities to apply to then submit your official application through Extra.
Original post by DomiNateTricks

Hi DomiNateTricks

Yes, it is possible to use UCAS extra, but you'll have to decline the offers you've already received from the unis you've applied to. It's also a good idea to apply for courses that still have a fair amount of places left to increase your chances of being accepted.

If you're interested, we still have a number of places available on our Nursing courses. At present, we're still accepting applications for the following courses:

Adult Nursing (Cambridge, Chelmsford and Peterborough)
Child Nursing (Cambridge and Chelmsford)
Mental Health Nursing (Cambridge)

Hope this helps! Please don't hesitate to let me know if you need some more advice about applying for nursing courses through UCAS Extra.

Natalie :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest