The Student Room Group

Mi5 careers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Robbolo
Are all positions at MI5 'Intelligence Officer'? Cause thats the only position it requires discretion for, surely there must be more than one job there, all of which im guessing can be freely discussed with that one exception

No, the discretion quote applies to all positions at MI5.
Reply 41
MI5
Discretion is an integral part of working for MI5, so before you consider applying, ask yourself this: would you be content for your own and your team's successes to remain unknown outside the intelligence community?.
how do people feel about this? i mean all that effort and NO recognition outside. tough

plus the pays are rather low, no?
Reply 42
Worzo
No, the discretion quote applies to all positions at MI5.

Well then now I'm getting confused :confused:

MI5

[RE: Intelligence Officer positons] Discretion is important to the Service, so please only discuss this application with your partner and/or immediate family.
Reply 43
Robbolo
Well then now I'm getting confused :confused:

https://www.mi5careers.gov.uk/jobs.aspx

Click on any of the jobs - the discretion thing applies to them all.
Reply 44
trxy
how do people feel about this? i mean all that effort and NO recognition outside. tough

Ages ago I was looking at the jobs they offer and I imagine it would be quite a good job to have but not being able to tell anyone what you do (apart from a few exceptions) would just be a bit weird. You'd have to make your life up when you meet new people etc and I don't think I could do it. I'd probably end up getting caught out eventually too.
Reply 45
No recognition
Low Pay
Bad hours
Potential danger
A life of dishonesty with friends and extended family.

Wow, i'm dying to join!....not...it's a **** job people!

And also, all those argueing about it, get out more folks, you're being complete losers!
Reply 46
Cortez
Ages ago I was looking at the jobs they offer and I imagine it would be quite a good job to have but not being able to tell anyone what you do (apart from a few exceptions) would just be a bit weird. You'd have to make your life up when you meet new people etc and I don't think I could do it. I'd probably end up getting caught out eventually too.

That or you could say, 'I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you...'

:biggrin: ok, I've watched too much tv in my gap year....

I think the job appeals to me, although I think the pay is quite low. I doubt anyone does, but anyone know how the pay progresses within your career? They also say, there's alot of scope for career progression, but from the site, there aren't that many other positions there... can anyone shed light on this?
Worzo
Would you say that it is fine for me to tell everyone that I'm applying to MI5 then?

how on earth has it all escalated to this?

The OP wanted information. End of. He never mentioned about applying...

dear oh dear :rolleyes:
Reply 48
Cortez
yh, and i mean how would you go about making up your life, somtimes you need proof and ****. would they tailor it all for you? also playing dumb about something you know really well just seems, unfair i guess? 0 recognition can make things seem pointless.
trxy
yh, and i mean how would you go about making up your life, somtimes you need proof and ****. would they tailor it all for you? also playing dumb about something you know really well just seems, unfair i guess? 0 recognition can make things seem pointless.

it seems a life pretty unappealing. The maintainance of a lie, of a life full of lies...that's one hell of a tall order. Not a life that would appeal to me anyway. You could really begin to hate yourself because of it, or maybe not...:confused: Yes, you could say "it's part and parcel of the occupation" but, to maintain a life of deceit and secrecy, can't be particularly ideal...

you'd have to write a diary detailing your lies...so as not to forget what lie/s you've said, when you said them, where you said them, who you said it/them to....total mind-**** :confused:
Reply 50
white_haired_wizard

you'd have to write a diary detailing your lies...so as not to forget what lie/s you've said, when you said them, where you said them, who you said it/them to....total mind-**** :confused:

Yeah and then make sure no one finds it lol.
Reply 51
For the poster who said something about James Bond. He was in MI6 not MI5. And...their website has EVERYTHING you need to know about careers in MI5. Not that I've been researching it or anything. Related jobs are things like positions within SOCA, or the special branch of the police force.

ALSO although MI5 does requaire a certain amount of descretion from its employees its not as secretive as many have been describing on here, you make it sound like some sort of underground organisation. You don't have to make up a new life and lie to everyone around you. Mi6 albeit is much more 'secret service' stylee. Jeez people watch far to much TV these days.
Cortez
Yeah and then make sure no one finds it lol.

aha but then you'd make several fake diaries :wink: :biggrin:

i.e. leave 4-5 different set of 'footprints', and praying that the real mccoy won't be found/stolen etc, innit :cool:
Reply 53
trxy

Most people who work in these places just say that they're civil servants. If you've ever met a civil servant and asked them what they do, you'll know that once they give you this response, you have absolutely no desire to enquire about the details of their job :smile:
Reply 54
Can i just say for all we know he could apply to be a chef in their catering ar an IT problem solving person or a cleaner.
Reply 55
dan1613
Can i just say for all we know he could apply to be a chef in their catering ar an IT problem solving person or a cleaner.

1st post and you've brought back a two year old thread with a pointless comment.

Nice.
Reply 56
Original post by icklebrov
No recognition
Low Pay
Bad hours
Potential danger
A life of dishonesty with friends and extended family.

Wow, i'm dying to join!....not...it's a **** job people!

And also, all those argueing about it, get out more folks, you're being complete losers!

There's no reason to attack others simply because you think its a bad job. I would happily get involved, some people would gladly earn just enough to live if it meant working to protect others. Satisfaction in life does not just come from earning a good wage. Look around you, there is a great deal of suffering in this world, a huge amount caused by criminals, terrorism etc. Would you not receive quiet gratification in knowing you had helped protect others from potential harm? I would, and many others would too. People are not drawn to such roles purely through media hype. These people allow your high paying, safe, 'honest' job to sit safely in society with little danger. Without such roles it would be a more dangerous world to live in. It is foolish to belittle such people. They work extremely hard doing good work, it is a shame some people don't appreciate it. We should respect these people and the roles they play. In my opinion, to work in a job that involves protecting the nation is the pinnacle of all potential employment. I would be proud to work in a role such as this with absolutely no recognition. In relation to your specific points of what makes this a bad job, what you consider to be limitations when choosing these roles further shows the calibre of the people who work them, they are prepared to help and protect without being told 'good boy' (or girl) by everyone, for everything they do. Knowledge that they are doing so much for us is enough. I wouldn't want anyone else watching my back. So do not criticise or attempt to belittle others for wanting to be involved in such a brilliant and integral part of our society. To the intelligence forces, keep up the good work.
Reply 57
Original post by sadfasedf
There's no reason to attack others simply because you think its a bad job. I would happily get involved, some people would gladly earn just enough to live if it meant working to protect others. Satisfaction in life does not just come from earning a good wage. Look around you, there is a great deal of suffering in this world, a huge amount caused by criminals, terrorism etc. Would you not receive quiet gratification in knowing you had helped protect others from potential harm? I would, and many others would too. People are not drawn to such roles purely through media hype. These people allow your high paying, safe, 'honest' job to sit safely in society with little danger. Without such roles it would be a more dangerous world to live in. It is foolish to belittle such people. They work extremely hard doing good work, it is a shame some people don't appreciate it. We should respect these people and the roles they play. In my opinion, to work in a job that involves protecting the nation is the pinnacle of all potential employment. I would be proud to work in a role such as this with absolutely no recognition. In relation to your specific points of what makes this a bad job, what you consider to be limitations when choosing these roles further shows the calibre of the people who work them, they are prepared to help and protect without being told 'good boy' (or girl) by everyone, for everything they do. Knowledge that they are doing so much for us is enough. I wouldn't want anyone else watching my back. So do not criticise or attempt to belittle others for wanting to be involved in such a brilliant and integral part of our society. To the intelligence forces, keep up the good work.

Are you really expecting them to read that four years on?

----------------------
Edit: Also when you say 'keep up the good work' within two months of that post there was a terrorist attack that killed over 40 people...
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by Quady
Are you really expecting them to read that four years on?

----------------------
Edit: Also when you say 'keep up the good work' within two months of that post there was a terrorist attack that killed over 40 people...

I was making a point to whoever reads it. Without the security forces there would be many more problems. They work hard. They deserve respect.

A lot more bad would have and will happen, without their efforts, this is obvious. I don't mean to be rude but I really do think that was an ill thought out response that was not thought through, merely using a well placed blunt fact to attempt to argue a point. It is a tragedy that terrorists have managed to get through the net and commit acts of such atrocity and murder in our country, or anywhere for that matter. I feel for them and their families. However humans are not infallible and therefore neither are the security forces, I did not claim they were.

It is not right to suggest, however subtly, they are ineffective with that argument.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 59
Original post by sadfasedf
I was making a point to whoever reads it. Without the security forces there would be many more problems. They work hard. They deserve respect.

You say that but your argument works in line with the reasoning of people who are all about the '**** the police' well in actual fact the only reason they can live safely is because the police force exists.

A lot more bad would have and will happen, without their efforts. They do good work and protect us.

How can you ever measure that?

We have a much worse track record of having terrorist attacks than say the states, does that mean their intelligence forces are better than ours?

Likewise Germany.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending