The Student Room Group

GCSE Requirements

If I don't have the required GCSE grades but the required A-Level grades, should I still apply for a Dentistry course?
Reply 1
Original post by lummzie
If I don't have the required GCSE grades but the required A-Level grades, should I still apply for a Dentistry course?

I didn't have any GCSE or equivalent qualification whatsoever but I've got 3 interviews and 1 offer already 😀 Just focus on your A level and UKCAT to compensate for this!!!! And don't apply to 'GCSE heavy' uni such as Cardiff (I've got a rejection from them pre-interview 😛 shouldn't have applied there...) Good luck with your studying!!!
Reply 2
Thank you. You were saying about "GCSE Heavy" Uni's and that I shouldn't apply to them, are there universities you would advise me to apply to and which ones I should avoid applying to? :smile: And I'm guessing you're applying for dentistry too?

Original post by Aria_bui
I didn't have any GCSE or equivalent qualification whatsoever but I've got 3 interviews and 1 offer already 😀 Just focus on your A level and UKCAT to compensate for this!!!! And don't apply to 'GCSE heavy' uni such as Cardiff (I've got a rejection from them pre-interview 😛 shouldn't have applied there...) Good luck with your studying!!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by lummzie
Thank you. You were saying about "GCSE Heavy" Uni's and that I shouldn't apply to them, are there universities you would advise me to apply to and which ones I should avoid applying to? :smile: And I'm guessing you're applying for dentistry too?

No worries! Yeah I applied to Dentistry. Cardiff looks at GCSE heavily so only apply there when you got 8A*s or more. I know Newcastle doesn't look at GCSE but you need a decent UKCAT. King can still accept you if you get super high UKCAT and good A Level! I recommend emailing universities to ask them if your GCSE grades are good enough for Dentistry or not. I know some people who got into dentistry with 2As and all Bs. But at the moment, focus on your A level and try to prepare for UKCAT (You should start as soon as you finish your exam in June). Try to have a really good personal statement. Those things will help you boost your application and compensate for your low GCSE. My predicted grades were A*A*A*A*! Hope it helps!
Reply 4
Thank you again, yeah I think I'll start emailing a bunch of universities this week because I would really like to do dentistry however I don't want to apply to universities and get declined from all of them then have no offers, also I need to think of another degree course if they say my GCSE's aren't good enough.
Original post by Aria_bui
No worries! Yeah I applied to Dentistry. Cardiff looks at GCSE heavily so only apply there when you got 8A*s or more. I know Newcastle doesn't look at GCSE but you need a decent UKCAT. King can still accept you if you get super high UKCAT and good A Level! I recommend emailing universities to ask them if your GCSE grades are good enough for Dentistry or not. I know some people who got into dentistry with 2As and all Bs. But at the moment, focus on your A level and try to prepare for UKCAT (You should start as soon as you finish your exam in June). Try to have a really good personal statement. Those things will help you boost your application and compensate for your low GCSE. My predicted grades were A*A*A*A*! Hope it helps!

Quick Reply

Latest