The Student Room Group
I went to a workshop where they talked through it, so I havent actually done it but know what is involved.

In tray is basically a simulated inbox so you will have a laptop and you will get emails into the inbox and relevant case information and you have to reply to them. There are some longer report emails at the end as well.

For the group presentation you are sat in a group and given information and a few tasks (the example we did had 3) and you all had to work on each task. The prep lasts 35 mins and then you have about 5 mins to present it.

I hope that helps.
Reply 2
If anyone can shed light on what the partnet interview entails, that would be much appreciated!
Reply 3
I have just been invited to attend the assessment centre (KPMG). I have a few questions about the process. I have already searched wikijobs and read a section on assessment centers there.

First of all, I was wondering if anybody could share their experience about the e-tray exercise. Some people seem to find it extremely hard and challenging, something you can't prepare for etc, while others claim that all you need to do it keep your cool and work though e-mails one by one. It is true that the booklet accompanying the exercise is 30 pages long, loaded with information and impossible to read in 15 minutes? Perhaps it's better to read the e-mails first and then skim the booklet for the relevant content. Honestly speaking, I had a go at the e-tray practice exercise provided by FastStream and found it quite challenging. Most of the e-mails require you to make judgment calls rather than data analysis. I am certain about 3-4 e-mails at best and as far as I know Fast Stream does not provide model answers/explanations. Does anybody know if at KPMG’s e-tray there is only one possible answer or you need to choose both the most/least appropriate ones. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.
Reply 4
1. Prioritise your emails.
2. You cannot prepare. It just comes from experience and a touch of common sense.
3. As far as I remember you get a booklet with some basic info and then the emails will ask for info which you need to get from the booklets. I'm fairly certain they were multiple choice options for how appropriate the reply was.
4. I'd say the final part of the e-tray was the hardest because you're pushed for time. Spend a bit making a plan first. They don't look for how much you write but if you get the main points fired out in a well structured manner with some good business sense.

I didn't do the partner presentation because mine was only for the internship. It was the exact same e-tray as the graduates got though. I've gotta do a partner presentation at the end of my internship if my senior manager is happy with the work I've done.
Reply 5
from my feedback (I was made an offer) the things that impressed them most were my commercial awareness and leadership skills. I did do my presentation on a bank so could talk about alot of relevant issues and really show good commercial awareness. but if you do decide to do anything like that make sure you really know the area because you will get asked some difficult questions but if you do then its a good way to show off some good understanding of some complex issues. you cant really prepare for the etray so dont really bother. its not really like faststream, you just need common sense. also no one in the assessment finished it so dont worry if you didnt, tho we all only had a couple of emails we didnt have time for so dont leave too many. with the group exercise, again you cant practice for. just make sure you contrubite enough good points, and get on with everyone. Also a good idea is maybe to try to encourage quieter people to join in, would show good leadership, as well as making sure everyone knows what their part is and dividing the work up for the presentation.
Reply 6
I finished my e-tray lol.

Pick a company which is small, someone they may have not heard of before and someone you know well. It limits the questions they might ask that you don't know the answer to. They get bored of FTSE 100 companies too.

The benefit for me working at KPMG though, is that I get to use all their different programs to research companies.
Reply 7
well clearly it doesnt actually matter how big the company is as long as ur confident talking about it. you obviously chose a small one and i chose a huge international one but did my research and i knew alot more about the industry and about the current issues affecting it that i would about a small company so just make sure you REALLY understand the company you choose and that you are quite comfortable in answering some difficult questions. A partner is clearly going to try to challange you as much as he can regardless of the company.
Reply 8
chungal
well clearly it doesnt actually matter how big the company is as long as ur confident talking about it. you obviously chose a small one and i chose a huge international one but did my research and i knew alot more about the industry and about the current issues affecting it that i would about a small company so just make sure you REALLY understand the company you choose and that you are quite comfortable in answering some difficult questions. A partner is clearly going to try to challange you as much as he can regardless of the company.

No offence but I'm just telling you what my senior manager told me. Go for the smaller, more unknown companies as it keeps the partners interested. Obviously it's better if you like the company and follow it in the news.
Reply 9
hmmm

Latest

Trending

Trending