The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
kasey3000
what did people put for the last question about the housefly and starch? that wasn't in the spec or any of my books!

The flies secrete saliva onto the food until it disolves, then use their muscular mouth things to take it up and digest it.

I didn't put that though :mad:
Reply 21
for the last question you needed to talk about the amylase in the saliva breaking down the starch into the soluble glucose, which dissolves in the saliva and is sucked back up, using the muscles in the throat
Reply 22
Hehe, so glad I crammed the housefly bit before the exam. I would have preferred a mosquito/malaria question though hehe :smile:
Reply 23
I went over the 'line limit' in my exam. I.e. I worte more than we had space for and then I went and wrote underneath it. I also used more paper and wrote on them which was way more than we were supposed to write. I wont get penalised will I?
i had to write under the lines a few times... i dont think u would get penalised, coz the examiner can read it and they just need to know whether u can answer or not

the only thing i can think of i went wrong is the nutrients question (i wrote only 1 nutrient), and also the fly question, i got the amylase bit right, but i said that the fly would put water on the glucose to dissolve it and then suck it, but actually it just gets dissolved in saliva... so i think i lost about 5 marks in total - but ofcourse theres always the mistakes and the things that you know but not mentioned
Reply 25
Yeah I'm around the same... I reckon I lost anywhere between 5-20 marks depending on how lucky I am :p: which means its probably more like 20 marks lost but hey
For the nutrients could you have put penicillium and amoxycillin?

Also the first question were you had to plot points on a graph - the label was in the way!
Reply 27
No, Im afraid penicillium (and the other one) are moulds. I put glucose for respiratio and proteins for manufacturing new DNA for growth
What did you put for the kidney transplant question? I said chemotherapy and blood transfusion I think.
Reply 29
The flies secrete saliva onto the food until it disolves, then use their muscular mouth things to take it up and digest it.

I just decided to write a load of random statements one after the other in the hope that one or two might be on the marksheme and I might scrape some marks.

I wrote about amaylse breaking down starch and being in the salava, about the fleshy pad alowing food to 'stick' to it, about the long slavary gland being positioned so there was a lot to flow through the tubes to the mouth pads because of gravity, I said something vague about the muscles I can't even remember... gernal rubbish.

And what was everyone's suggestion on what to do with the man exposed to polio who hadn't been vacinated?

I just wrote, 'hospitalise him?'. :s-smilie:
Reply 30
For the kidney transplant question, i put radiation of the bone marrow to stop white blood cell production and immuno-supressant drugs to shut down the immune system, so the kidney is not attacked.

For the man with polio you have to give him ready made antibodies
Reply 31
sme i overran nt enuf lines nd tht graph i jus finished off the squares on top of the text so i could work out were the point went
Reply 32
I was plesantly surprised with that, hope i get an A*
It's all so obvious now. *Cries
Cackhandedchimp
Also the first question were you had to plot points on a graph - the label was in the way!

i saw that too - i thought i had plotted it wrong

and also, they didnt tell us to label the lines which is quite stupid, so i did label them C and B
Reply 35
kasey3000
what did people put for the last question about the housefly and starch? that wasn't in the spec or any of my books!

Amylase in saliva digests the starch, I think the exam went very well and was easier than expected.
Reply 36
was the 1 u had to estimate in the middle of the otherr 2?
Reply 37
lmfao hospitalise him? heh no no give him ready made antibodies, that housefly thing was easy too.. i wrote proteins for the nutrient one o-0
Reply 38
It was glucose and proteins for that.

I put glucose and oxygen haha *silly me*
Reply 39
peej
It was glucose and proteins for that.

I put glucose and oxygen haha *silly me*

oh yessss i guessed that!

Latest