The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Mth15
for the last question you needed to talk about the amylase in the saliva breaking down the starch into the soluble glucose, which dissolves in the saliva and is sucked back up, using the muscles in the throat

i put that about breaking down the food outside of the body then i crossed it out uh oh:p:

but that question and diagram was really bad...they should have put something more familiar to the syllabus like mosquitoes
Reply 41
most people at my school found the exam q hard, compared to all of the past papers, but i found it ok :smile:
so i hope the grade boudaries are low.
although they normally are quite low - 79% last year for an A*

btw that Q with the carbon and nitrogen cycle, what did the carbon cycle have to do with the putrifying and nitrifying bacteria? :confused:
Reply 42
uggg dotn you hate the way the topics your okay at...liek the eye and heart for me dont come up! and silly fossils and flies do!
oh well tho wasn't too bad though i thought :smile:
Reply 43
yeah, no heart and no eye :frown:
Reply 44
/\

LOL, that's the first thing I said to my mum when I came in!

There weren't any questions on nice, classic topics like that e.g. the nervous system etc.

heh no no give him ready made antibodies

Yeah but I got confused! I remember with rabbies you did that, but I didn't think rabbies was a virus, and he definatley had a virus.

I just remember reading 'you have to let them pass' or something in CGP.

*Sniff*

I'd be a great GP. :p:
Reply 45
Actually i have to agree with you Pink101, the question was about the nitrogen cycle and the carbon cycle seemed sort of tacked on, so i just said the putrefying bacteria also break sown the carbon compunds to use for respiration which produces CO2, which is then re used by a new plant for photosynthesis
Reply 46
earlier in the paper there was a question on genetic engineering which gave the name of a substance that stops virus' spreading...i used that in the polio answer haha =p
Reply 47
Artificial passive immunity - inject the correct antibodies into his bloodstream :smile:
Passive immunity is always artificial!

Don't you hate those questions that are open ended like: What is a virus's structure? What are hormones?

ARGH! And AQA are so stupid like this - when you had to describe cancer I basically put all the explanations of what you had to explain in the next parts of the questions - like how it can spread to other parts etc. Then it just looks like I didn't know what to say and copied the questions from other bits!
Reply 49
Cackhandedchimp
Passive immunity is always artificial!

No its not. What about the passive immunity a foetus gets through the placenta while its in the womb. And also from the mother's milk.
izzy510
No its not. What about the passive immunity a foetus gets through the placenta while its in the womb. And also from the mother's milk.

Oh yeah, good point.
Reply 51
The virus structure question seemed to give you about 4 lines to get two marks, which would just have been: protein coat and genetic material inside
Reply 52
HELP~~~

Guys, you know the question about cancers in the smoking question..

What's the answer for that?

I only mentioned the carcinogens
I thought that it was pretty hard in places...the polio one at the end was the worst for me though I think. TO be honest, I think the boundaries should be relatively low-I've not seen anyone that found it easy (apart from on here).
Mth15
The virus structure question seemed to give you about 4 lines to get two marks, which would just have been: protein coat and genetic material inside

Yeah exactly lol I was worried about that. I put ONLY a DNA strand inside and protein coat.
Reply 55
Yep, same... but its just the exam board's thing - they have to put a certain amount of lines per mark. It's something like at least a line and a half per mark. Stupid sometimes, but hey...
Reply 56
I did bloody well I think, as I only got 69% in the Mock I checked over which questions I was positive in getting right and it came to about 75-85%... realized a huge mistake though, well it was only 1 mark ... accidentally put cytoplasm instead of chloroplast, rushing because I thought they were easy questions was a mistake.

And for all the people discussing it I got;
8%

and for the "restriction enzyme" answer I put "specific enzyme that blah blah blah explanation"... wonder if it'll still get a mark, though I remember it being only 1 mark so I doubt I will... ah well.

My friends and I were so irritated by one question though, the "How does water leave the leaves." (what process, whatever) - is it just me or is that terrible wording? I mean it could have been transpiration or evaporation, just for the hell of it I put Transpiration is the SYSTEM and Evaporation is the PROCESS (a bit of explanation aswell but you get the point.) Anyone get irritated by that? Also the smoking question was ambiguous to be honest... either they WANTED an accurate answer or they wanted an estimate, they should have made it obvious either way because I spent a while contemplating on it after the exam, I saw it was way over the 0.5 mark but still it could have been 8.5 or 8... but I'm guessing they'd have to give a bit of leeway as it was only a 1 mark question.

Overall, phwoar, with the 75-80% or so I got here along with my 60/60 coursework I can afford to "suckhard" on Chemistry, which I most likely will... my teacher sucked D:... Physics should be okay...

Oh and for the virus question I put a DNA strand/protein coat. Virus is 1/100th times smaller than bacterium. Just in case the extra space was there for something extra... heh.

Aaaand; for the genetic engineering where you had to do a little diagram I did;

Rr Rr
R r - R r
RR Rr Rr rr (with lines of course)

Then added in the labels phenotype (I put Resistant under the first 3 and then non-resistant under "rr", also circled and explained "rr")
Added Genotype and "F1"... anyone else do this? Was a 4 mark question so I thought more was needed than just the initial diagram.

Bring on English A (AQA)!
Reply 57
For the cancer question i put that it is a mutated cell that divides uncontrollably and forms tumours. HAve to say i was little lucky in that question as id done a past paper with similar questions in so i knew that cancer cells could travel in the blood for the next question. The restiction enzymes question, you just had to put enzymes for the one mark i think
Reply 58
Daisuke

And for all the people discussing it I got;
8%

anyone remember the exact questions for these cos i cant remember what i put, but those numbers sound familiar. All i remember is that there were 22 rbc in the picture thingy and the question about the percentage the section we were supposed to calculate took 1.5 sectors of the pie chart
overall i found it not bad though like some people said, a few questions were ambigious
Reply 59
Mth15
Actually i have to agree with you Pink101, the question was about the nitrogen cycle and the carbon cycle seemed sort of tacked on, so i just said the putrefying bacteria also break sown the carbon compunds to use for respiration which produces CO2, which is then re used by a new plant for photosynthesis

that's exactly what i put. :rolleyes:
let's just hope that's right lol.

Latest