The Student Room Group

Classics (Latin and Greek) or Art History?

I'm approaching the end of my first year at St Andrews (which is amazing by the way, would definitely not be happier anywhere else), and have just learnt that the two subjects I was planning to take to honours (i.e. take as my actual degree in the last 2 years of my course) have a timetable clash in years 2, 3 and 4, and so I cannot take them as a joint degree.

The course I applied through UCAS to do, and which I am officially enrolled in here, is Classics (Latin and Greek), though in their first two years, everyone takes a module in three different subjects, so, thinking I'd like it, I chose Art History as my third. I've come to love it so much that I wanted to make it part of my degree but Latin and Art History clash so this is impossible.

I am better at Art History, getting consistently high grades, but with Classics I'm not doing amazingly. I also think I enjoy Art History a little more, but I would still miss Latin dearly if I were to drop it. However, I am concerned about how disrespected I would be if I were to complete a degree in Art History - not just in my social life but employability-wise, as it is usually known as a subject for 'dumb rich girls'. Classics on the other hand is highly respected in any field.

So I am faced with this decision: do Art History, which is not respectable but I may be able to get a first in? Or do Classics, which is highly respectable but in which it is unlikely I'll get a first? Any help/opinions/discussion would be greatly appreciated!
Original post by daisytreloar27
I'm approaching the end of my first year at St Andrews (which is amazing by the way, would definitely not be happier anywhere else), and have just learnt that the two subjects I was planning to take to honours (i.e. take as my actual degree in the last 2 years of my course) have a timetable clash in years 2, 3 and 4, and so I cannot take them as a joint degree.

The course I applied through UCAS to do, and which I am officially enrolled in here, is Classics (Latin and Greek), though in their first two years, everyone takes a module in three different subjects, so, thinking I'd like it, I chose Art History as my third. I've come to love it so much that I wanted to make it part of my degree but Latin and Art History clash so this is impossible.

I am better at Art History, getting consistently high grades, but with Classics I'm not doing amazingly. I also think I enjoy Art History a little more, but I would still miss Latin dearly if I were to drop it. However, I am concerned about how disrespected I would be if I were to complete a degree in Art History - not just in my social life but employability-wise, as it is usually known as a subject for 'dumb rich girls'. Classics on the other hand is highly respected in any field.

So I am faced with this decision: do Art History, which is not respectable but I may be able to get a first in? Or do Classics, which is highly respectable but in which it is unlikely I'll get a first? Any help/opinions/discussion would be greatly appreciated!

St Andrews has a degree in Art History and Classical Studies, is there a reason you can't do that? Not sure why you think Art History isn't respected, it is. Having an Art History degree rather than a Classics degree is not going to make any difference to your career prospects.
The thing is Classical Studies isn't very respected either, as its studying the ancient texts in translation unlike Classics where it's the raw Latin and Greek. Therefore you don't get the language skills as well as the essay skills. I'm just worried about the stigmatism of being rich and dumb (neither of which I am) being thrust upon me when I start looking for jobs. I don't want my only job opportunities to be in PR and curating. Thanks for the reply :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by daisytreloar27
The thing is Classical Studies isn't very respected either, as its studying the ancient texts in translation unlike Classics where it's the raw Latin and Greek. Therefore you don't get the language skills as well as the essay skills. I'm just worried about the stigmatism of being rich and dumb (neither of which I am) being thrust upon me when I start looking for jobs. I don't want my only job opportunities to be in PR and curating. Thanks for the reply :smile:

Nobody will care. Really. A humanities degree is a humanities degree. Art History/Classics/Classical Studies are all equally respected.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending