The Student Room Group

2006 Freshers - how was your first year?

So now that we're nearly at the end of our first year, what have you guys made of your first year? Did Oxford live up to your expectations etc? Personally I can't believe how quickly the year has flown by! Can't believe first year is almost over already!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Agrippina
So now that we're nearly at the end of our first year, what have you guys made of your first year? Did Oxford live up to your expectations etc? Personally I can't believe how quickly the year has flown by! Can't believe first year is almost over already!

First year was excellent, I've thoroughly enjoyed it. Next year will be better though, given I won't have to do the ****e that it economics any more.

And aye, the time has flown by!
Reply 2
Yeah true dat - first year was a ****load of work but really really good fun, next year should be better though!
Reply 3
Why do you guys think the second year would be better? :confused:
Reply 4
I reckon second year will be better for me too, because we don't have any exams! :biggrin:
Reply 5
*sniff* Some of us have scary determining-which-clinical-school-we're-likely-to-end-up-at exams next year!

First year has been great on the whole. So much new stuff, a whole new sport I've accidently got sucked into (& am now on the exec for next year ... ooopps). It should be that bit better next year: we know about how much we need to prepare for tutorials; how to take notes and what to write up, what not to bother with; how to write up practicals (at the start of the year these were taking me years!); a better room with a fireplace and a kitchen larger than 2sqm; and best of all, we get children!
Reply 6
2nd year e&m sure is better than 1st year - particuarly with no exams. enjoy 2nd year whilst you can guys!!
As much as I hated it in the beginning I like it now. There are (obviously) still bits I disklike but I'm not naive enough to belive there is a prefect place somewhere :wink: Overall, coming and staying here is probably among the best decisions I ever made.

phawkins1988
Next year will be better though, given I won't have to do the ****e that it economics any more.

I can only second the first bit....next year will be better, given I'll (nearly) ONLY have to do economics :wink:
Reply 8
Yeah it was brilliant.

The most remarkable thing was how quickly it went, though...
Yeh, I'm feeling the same really.. next year will be MUCH better. Firstly because I won't have a term of trying to settle in like this year, I've already worked out the work/play balance and I've picked all of the papers I'm doing next year so hopefully will be much more interested in learning about them. This year's been pretty damn good too.. I've really enjoyed myself. Has gone so quickly though - so so strange, but kinda happy because I definitely need a break now. It's weird, Oxford has been very different to how I imagined, but in a very good way!
Reply 10
S'alright.
This year was cool. Did the minimum of work but still managed some decent grades and really enjoyed the course, got sozzled regularly, met some really cool people, became an SU officer, OUSU officer and Cherwell Editor, so it's been jokes. Looking forward to living down in Cowley next year!
Popa Dom
First year's been pretty good, nice and relaxing in terms of workload but with loads of stuff to do and loads of new things to try out. Next year looks less fun to be honest (should I make it there), as the workload's meant to go up. Having said that I'll be living on cowley road so should be a good laugh.

hmmmm, i wonder why that is?:rolleyes:

my first year has been so amazing! work has pushed me to breaking point at times, but everything about Oxford and the people here and the friends i've made have kept me going and i can't wait for next year (woooo no exams!!)
Reply 13
my first year was absolutely fucking weapon. it isn't as much work as they make out either, provided you're prepared to work HARD in the time just before exams. basically, i had the best time ever.
sea tea
my first year was absolutely fucking weapon. it isn't as much work as they make out either, provided you're prepared to work HARD in the time just before exams. basically, i had the best time ever.

i think that depends on the subject you do. for biochem, we had loads of pieces of work that had to be done every week, including lab write ups and stuff so we couldn't get away with doing very little work, but i know people who do maths and art subjects like English who you could apply the 'got away with not too much hard work' to.
Reply 15
aaah, it's over. it feels so good.
slightly delirious right now.
Reply 16
chocolatecheese
i think that depends on the subject you do. for biochem, we had loads of pieces of work that had to be done every week, including lab write ups and stuff so we couldn't get away with doing very little work, but i know people who do maths and art subjects like English who you could apply the 'got away with not too much hard work' to.

medicine was made out to be puuuure work, all year, whereas in fact, its just a massive 3 week cram at the end of trinity. having said that, the exams are haaard.
Reply 17
sea tea
medicine was made out to be puuuure work, all year, whereas in fact, its just a massive 3 week cram at the end of trinity. having said that, the exams are haaard.
And then some! Two and a bit days to go!

Medicine does have a lot of timetabled stuff though, so I've had to skip training sessions/half of summer eights (!) for lectures and tutes, so people seem to think I'm too hard working or that medicine is a particularly tough subject.
Reply 18
I waited until I was home to post this:

Oxford is an amazing place, and I love it there. Trouble is, its also a very intense, pressurised environment, which is good for me but takes its toll. Michalmas was quite difficult at times, I was scared about uni and when I got here, it wasn't what I expected, but I still didn't know what to make of it until 5th week. After some serious 5th week blues, I found my place and was comfortable with it, which is when I loved being there. Hilary term surpassed anything I had hoped to believe, it was a truly fantastic term, and I loved every second of it.

Over the Easter break, I worked for 2 weeks in Oxford for my college, on their telethon campaign. It was good fun, and I enjoyed it, but it was still a pressurised environment. Going home, I tried to catch up with all my old friends, and again that was fun, but not at all relaxing. In the following week, I became ill, and had to return to Oxford not fully recovered. I was under a lot of pressure from my tutors to do well in my collections, and, whilst not quite at my peak, I started working hard. By the end of 0th week, I was completely exhausted and facing another 9 weeks of pressure. Good weeks this term were those when I "only" had 3 essays to do, which was only 2 of them. Most of the time, I had 4, and extra revision on top of that. Given that I was tired before all this started, I found myself dragging on and on... When I'm tired and stressed, I withdraw into myself and am generally not a very nice person. I know I've hurt and upset several people, and I need to make it up to them- but first I need to recuperate and try not to let this happen again.

2nd year- better for learning from my mistakes and knowing more about myself. (and no exams! :biggrin:)
Reply 19
Jenski
Loved it 75% of the time, hated it 25% of the time. I guess that's an ok balance..

Completely agree. Have had a few "rock bottom, throw myself out of my window onto the high street moments", but that was expected I guess. All in all absolutely love it!! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending