The Student Room Group

How to get a programmer, developer job without a degree

There are two guys who are junior programmers.

After getting information on them on how they achieved to get a good job without a degree, this is what they informed me:

1) Develop one good complex project, this could be a video game, flight simulator, algorithm or anything of your choice.

Learn one/two language, such as C#, Java, C++, Python, there are many resources on the internet such as YouTube, Piscera, UDemy, Google, Tutorials point to achieve this, also Google C++ tutorials, etc.

Learn Python free ebook: http://learnpythonthehardway.org/book/
Free Javascript ebook learning Javascript and programming in general: http://eloquentjavascript.net/

Or

2) They both developed projects on their own about 30, however, 15-20 good, solid projects are better than 30 average projects. Show your projects on Github.

3) Learn Javascript, JQuery, Angular JS, Node JS, MySQL, NoSQL (MongoDB, Cassandra), PHP- some employers do require a candidate to have knowledge of and this will boost your CV.

4) Learn querying data and analytics's such as SAS, Hibernate.

5) Contributing on open source projects. Not required, however it can help.

6) Using test driven development to test your projects.

7) Use Object Orientated Programming

8) Knowledge of Agile

9) Knowledge of Apache (such as Hive, Tomcat etc)

10) Use source/version control such as Git or SVN

Most of these programmer, developer jobs don't require a degree, once you have completed your projects, send a github link to your CV so employers can access your projects and start applying for junior C#, Java, Python programmer/developer jobs.

Also if you learn PHP, MySQL, Javascript and develop projects, you can get a programming, developer job in that too.

Good luck!
(edited 7 years ago)
Tl;dr experience.
Reply 2
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Free Javascript ebook: http://eloquentjavascript.net/
Reply 4
Learn NoSQL (MongoDB, Cassandra), developers are required to have proficiency in databases.
Reply 5
Also learning big analytic such as SAS will help and gaining knowledge, proficiency in Hive, Hibernate in querying data will boost your CV.
This thread needs sticking, it's awesome.

Thank you @CompSci89
Reply 7
Your very welcome.

Once you have experience, you can switch from Java to C# developer or get a job in another language since most programming concepts are the same, the syntax is just different.

This field is also very flexible, you can do remote work from home or with some experience, run your own business.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
For the people who want to get into Java, you should also try to gain knowledge and skills of Jira, Hira, JSP, Hadoop.

Also knowledge of SOAP and software development models, life cycle can help with general programming.
Reply 9
Learn Apache (Hive, etc), Agile (Scrum) and OOP (object oritentated programming).

For Java learn JSP, JIRA, HIRA.

For Python learn Linux.
Reply 10
Also for C# learn MVC and for C++ DirectX.
Reply 11
oh didn't read OP oops :lol:
(edited 7 years ago)
Great thread! Just wanted to add MongoDB, Redis and RabbitMQ are very hot at the moment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Can I ask what sort of general time frame people would give for learning the suggested stuff here? I'm considering doing a Conversion MSc as detailed in another thread I've just posted but I'd also consider being self-taught if I thought there was a reasonable chance of landing a developer/programmer job or being able to run my own business at the end of it all. As a newcomer to the software development world (with very basic skills in HTML and Python) I'd like to know how long it would take (just a really rough estimate) for me to learn enough of the above recommended languages to a point where I'd be confident and able enough to compete with those having done a compsci level of programming etc?
Reply 14
You don't need 30 projects.

5/6 projects in your chosen language will do the job.

Projects on a simulation of a video game, epos system(google how to create one in Java, c#), apps, web apis(REST) will do the job.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
Also you can use Treehouse's, Pluralsight, Udacity, Lynda software, web developments projects after you learn it in the language as your own projects in your portfolio.
Agree with the above and codeacademy have web developer, javacript projects for you to use in your portfolio.

Also you can learn and use Udemy projects in c++, c# etc.
Reply 17
Hey..
May be its late to answer this but may be it helps you.
You can learn java , php , R , Python languages . rather then all these languages you can go for some most popular like big data , hadoop , spark , scala and can complete your project with learning from coursera , cloudera , mapr ,dataflair, hortonworks , udacity etc.
Hope it helps. Good luck:smile:
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending