The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Elles
have you applied to medical school..?

those accepting only AS/A2 chem & a lack of any Biology are a definite minority. & i think most people will admit if you later do medicine without biology it will require more work in your first year to 'catch up'

No, it's just one of the things I'm reading up on for a friend [plus readin the threads on here, you tend to pick it up :wink: ]

As I mentioned in my post, a few uni's prefer you to have it - but from what I've been told (probably unreliable) they cover most of the biology A-level stuff in about 3-6 weeks?
emom100
Even though you are fluent in one language and will obviusly get an A you'll still have work to do for it

Don't underestimate that work, either - you've got to write the essays and answer the questions by their rules. I know a native Morroccan who got a B at AS French :biggrin:
Reply 22
LS.
No, it's just one of the things I'm reading up on for a friend [plus readin the threads on here, you tend to pick it up :wink: ]

As I mentioned in my post, a few uni's prefer you to have it - but from what I've been told (probably unreliable) they cover most of the biology A-level stuff in about 3-6 weeks?

Well, they do, sort of...but the number of medical schools wanting Biology is always on the increase, and it will give you a hand in a lot of ways. That's not to say it's impossible to get in without it, but if you're interested in doing Medicine, it simply doesn't make sense to me not to do Biology.
Reply 23
Thanks for all your comments. Regarding the biology, I've obviously thought about it. If I did it, I would not be able to do maths (because of the way the columns are arranged at my school). But to be honest, 90% of the biology teachers at our school are useless and I don't think I could stand another year of them making up new theories when they can't remember the answer to the question you asked them. I'd be more worried that it would disgust me of medicine forever!
Reply 24
I think you should take Biology instead of Maths because most uni's look for biology and chemistry more than maths.
Reply 25
I think that you should just keep your languages up as a kind of hobby. If you enjoy it that much. Otherwise the additional pressures of exams in them will be a problem, not to mention coursework. Take your other subjects, maths etc, and if you wish do maybe 1 extra course. I did 6 AS levels, one was gen studies, and I think i reached my potential in them all, but it was hard work and stress. Good luck, whatever you decide.
Reply 26
Elen
Thanks for all your comments. Regarding the biology, I've obviously thought about it. If I did it, I would not be able to do maths (because of the way the columns are arranged at my school). But to be honest, 90% of the biology teachers at our school are useless and I don't think I could stand another year of them making up new theories when they can't remember the answer to the question you asked them. I'd be more worried that it would disgust me of medicine forever!

That's weird...most schools arrange it so you can do bio/chem/phys/maths (since quite a few take it for medicine...or at least they do at my 6thform)

Hmm...I can understand that you might not want to take a subject because of crap teachers, but, If I didn't take a course because of that reason I probably wouldn't be doing any A-levels :rolleyes: but I guess you know yourself best, remember that you can always put in the extra time to learn the subject yourself.
Elen
Is 8 AS-levels (I have to do general studies as well) totally impossible? Has anyone done it? HELP!!!

AS and A levels are a whole different kettle of fish to GCSE's! You can't just blab your way through it or not turn up to lessons, you have to know your stuff. On top of that you get a lot of homework, preferable about an hour or so on each subject a night. I would suggest doing 5 or 6 as this is what most people do. Plus, having more A levels doesn't give you anymore advantage at uni as it would if you had 5 A levels. Really, all you need is 3 A levels.
You don't get that much work in general stduies, in fact, i don't get any:redface:. I didn't bother turning up to lessons and still managed to do the exam without any worries, so i wouldn't worry about that:smile: Plus, with your predicted grades for GCSE you'll probably find it a joke, like most people do, lol
Reply 28
We got told that for each a level we do we should be doing as much work at home as we do in a lesson, so say you're doing 8 AS's that's like 3 hours a week at school/classes for each subject, 8 X 3= 24, double it, so at least 48 hours studying a week...

IMHO 8 is mad! Do 5 or 6 at most I'd say
me!
We got told that for each a level we do we should be doing as much work at home as we do in a lesson, so say you're doing 8 AS's that's like 3 hours a week at school/classes for each subject, 8 X 3= 24, double it, so at least 48 hours studying a week...

Yes, but my school have told me I'm supposed to be doing 24 hours a week homework. Very droll of them, I suppose :biggrin:
Reply 30
me!

Yeah we were told that, but of course no-one ends up doing that much work outside school. I've havent had anywhere near that much homework this year.

Regarding 8 AS's, well I wouldn't do it! I do 5 (including critical thinking) and I had 11 exams in the summer so God knows how many you would have! Don't just do maths and physics for the sake of it. You say your school has blocks (so does mine) can't just just do three subjects at school and have a spare block. That way you can spend that time studying for langauges. Would that work? My friend does French outside school at a different school because mine doesnt offer it

Latest

Trending

Trending