The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

A pessimist's view of grades & "the offer"

I admit it, I'm a bit of a pessimist when it comes to exams, so I can't help thinking... if you miss the grades of your offer by, say, one grade (eg, ABB is the offer, you get ABC or AAC), what is the likelihood of Durham still allowing you to come? If they say no to the subject you applied for, would they consider you for a different subject that you fulfilled the grade requirements in (eg, apply for physics with offer of AAB, get ABB with C in phys, but you've got ABB in, say, chem, maths and bio, to change to chem).

I hope I'm making sense. My clarity of speech and typing has gone somewhat down the pan since I started exams. :tongue:
Reply 1
Very unlikely, depending upon your subject. They've already filled up their places and are reliant on some people missing their offers. For some subjects they might offer you a different course (e.g for Psych, they might offer Applied Psych at Stockton).
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
id have thought that if they had any spare spaces in chem they'd give them to people who applied for chem and just missed the grades as opposed to someone who did make the grades but wanted to do phys...
Reply 4
Be optimistic!
I try, but it's easier (and a great deal nicer!) to be pessimistic and be wrong than be optimistic and be wrong.

But never mind! Woot for grades. :tongue:
Reply 6
I am the same to be honest :frown:

I honestly do not think I have got into Durham, but I have no idea what to expect on results day.
Reply 7
Bahhhhhhhhhhh this is my thread!! I well dont think ive ot in! Theres nowt else like law though that they could offer me, bahhhhhh optimistic optimistic!!!!

Although, bit of advice, when i went there to speak to the law dept after my offer, he said that if a candidate missed the grades, thewn it is entirely dependent upon how many people miss the grades. if they ahve exactly 135 places then they have to fill that amount and no less. Last year the law dept took on over 10 people of the 135 places, that didnt make the grades they got AAB. they look at how close you are to mkissing the grades. Dont worry! : )
Reply 8
At this point, what's done is done, so you'll just have to keep your fingers crossed and hopefully you won't have to deal with missing your grades.
:ditto: exactly, no use fretting about what you can't change
Speak for yourself! I have two exams to go that determine whether I make it to uni at all - eek! I'm terrified of either not revising enough or over-revising. But never mind. Come August, at least I'll know.
Reply 11
I fail to understand how one can over revise.
Reply 12
It's entirely possible. You can tire yourself out, e.g. you could revise for 15 hours a day with no breaks, but that would be pointless because after the frst few hours you'd be so tired and bored of revision nothing would go in! It's the same as over training for a sports event. If you train so much you tire yourself out physically, you won't do very well in the race. Your brain works in pretty much the same way.
Well, it's all over now. Just a case of playing the waiting game. :smile:
Reply 14
It's not over!!!!! Exam at 2pm today then an AEA on thursday.

I should be doing some last minute cramming...
AEA - eek! Good luck. :smile:
Reply 16
Ray Oceanweaver
Well, it's all over now. Just a case of playing the waiting game. :smile:

haha definitely not over! exam tomorrow, 9am and then one on weds, 9am, before it's all over for me! :frown:
and yet im here instead of cramming some last minute revision...

i'm down with the whole 'being pessimistic and wrong is better than being optimistic and wrong' thing. it's less disappointing.

but you seem like someone who has probably work their butt off for exams and so will almost definitely get the grades. you will be fine, i'm sure! :smile:
Reply 17
I know how you feel. It is highly unlikely I would get in for Durham (history) if I didn't get AAA. And I want it SO much.

Latest