The Student Room Group

Dentistry personal statement

Hello,

I'm aware of what is needed in my personal statement, apart from the technical requirement about work experience--specifically what qualified as "two weeks".

By "2 weeks", what does it mean exactly?
A) 14 days at a GDP.
B) 10 days at a GDP (working week)
.C) 2 days for a couple of hours over two weeks.
D) 2 days for a couple of hours over 3+ weeks.
Can anyone clarify pleaseeeee?
Original post by Marrow
Hello,

I'm aware of what is needed in my personal statement, apart from the technical requirement about work experience--specifically what qualified as "two weeks".

By "2 weeks", what does it mean exactly?
A) 14 days at a GDP.
B) 10 days at a GDP (working week)
.C) 2 days for a couple of hours over two weeks.
D) 2 days for a couple of hours over 3+ weeks.
Can anyone clarify pleaseeeee?

I would assume 10 days would be sufficient as this is two working weeks (Mon-Fri). If you are in doubt, universities have specific requirements and you are better off contacting them to get a definite answer as to what they would view two weeks as. The more experience you can get, the better so 2 weeks is a minimum requirement and more would be beneficial if you can get it.

This article may be of use to you:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Work_Experience
Reply 2
Original post by Charlotte49
I would assume 10 days would be sufficient as this is two working weeks (Mon-Fri). If you are in doubt, universities have specific requirements and you are better off contacting them to get a definite answer as to what they would view two weeks as. The more experience you can get, the better so 2 weeks is a minimum requirement and more would be beneficial if you can get it.

This article may be of use to you:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Dentistry_Work_Experience

Its bizarre how such an important part of application can be so vague in its requirements: this includes that link you posted haha

Maybe I'll send them an e-mail or can someone who has applied tell me what they did.
Original post by Marrow
Its bizarre how such an important part of application can be so vague in its requirements: this includes that link you posted haha

Maybe I'll send them an e-mail or can someone who has applied tell me what they did.

I would advise to email the universities you are applying to to get a definitive answer (especially since requirements can change from year to year). Because the requirements are so vague they are open to interpretation from the universities themselves so each could have a different idea of what two weeks means to them. Generally more is better, and additional experience of other specialities will strengthen your application if you can manage to arrange it.

Quick Reply

Latest