The Student Room Group

Heyy. So about uni...

Soo I've always wanted to do med and I still do. But I'm just really worried for my GCSE grades. If I do end up getting a high A on a subject lets say, and I want to retake that to get an A*, will it affect my application or put me at any sort of disadvantage??????
I know I still have time for uni but this has been bothering me so much these past few days.
Any helpful comments would be amazing. Thanks:smile:
Getting A*s in GCSEs won't have much of an impact on your uni application. You just need to do well so that you can do the relevant A-levels, which usually just require a B or a standard A. You'll have to ask your school about their requirements for A-levels.

Once you're into A-levels, getting A*s will matter more, because unis will want to see you do well in your A-levels. (so basically, unis look at your A-levels more than GCSEs :P)
Original post by Jazzyboy
Getting A*s in GCSEs won't have much of an impact on your uni application. You just need to do well so that you can do the relevant A-levels, which usually just require a B or a standard A. You'll have to ask your school about their requirements for A-levels.

Once you're into A-levels, getting A*s will matter more, because unis will want to see you do well in your A-levels. (so basically, unis look at your A-levels more than GCSEs :P)

Thank you. But will the retake be a problem do you think?
Original post by SoDoneWithSchool
Thank you. But will the retake be a problem do you think?

I don't see why a retake would be a problem, as long as you think you can manage it.

Apparently some unis are fussy about A-level retakes when considering applications for medicine degrees, but I doubt they'd care about GCSE retakes, and your school probably won't care about GCSE retakes either. I'd ask your school though if I were you. Maybe ask your Careers advisor.(I assume your school has one)

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest