The Student Room Group

Postgraduate Student Loans: APPLICATIONS ARE OPEN

You can apply for the Postgraduate Student Loan on the Student Finance England Website!
Reply 1
Original post by Zadkiel
You can apply for the Postgraduate Student Loan on the Student Finance England Website!

Thanks for the heads-up. Apply via the page linked below, using the appropriate option under section 5:
https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan/how-to-apply
Reply 2
I put my application in on Sunday afternoon and have just signed in to find it says 'application approved'. Fastest turnaround ever!
is the post graduate loans just able to cover tuition fee loans or do they cover living cost I.e maintenance loans aswell?
Are they paid back similar to Student loans @1st undergraduate degree?
Reply 4
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
is the post graduate loans just able to cover tuition fee loans or do they cover living cost I.e maintenance loans aswell?
Are they paid back similar to Student loans @1st undergraduate degree?

They give you a lump sum up to £10,000 which is not means tested. You can use it for whatever you want - pay fees, rent, bills, whatever. It won't cover the full costs involved with doing a Masters for most courses/circumstances.

Repayments are similar to undergrad - same deductions from pay once you're earning over £21,000 - but I believe the interest rate is slightly higher. Check out the web pages I linked to above.
Original post by Klix88
They give you a lump sum up to £10,000 which is not means tested. You can use it for whatever you want - pay fees, rent, bills, whatever. It won't cover the full costs involved with doing a Masters for most courses/circumstances.

Repayments are similar to undergrad - same deductions from pay once you're earning over £21,000 - but I believe the interest rate is slightly higher. Check out the web pages I linked to above.

whats the point then since the £10,000 should be towards a FT postgrad degree
yet you still need couple £k to spend on living costs, especially if you move out.

I'd assume juggling a part-time job would be hard as hell due to contact hours though It would depend upon some courses I.e Stem subjects.
Reply 6
Anyone else's course not available on the list when applying ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by XxKingSniprxX
whats the point then since the £10,000 should be towards a FT postgrad degree
yet you still need couple £k to spend on living costs, especially if you move out.

I'd assume juggling a part-time job would be hard as hell due to contact hours though It would depend upon some courses I.e Stem subjects.

It's the same principle as undergrad Student Finance. It's not intended to cover all of your costs, just to make a contribution towards them. Either the student or their parents (maybe less so the latter at postgrad level) are expected to make some kind of financial investment in a Masters.

Something is better than nothing. The £10,000 maximum was set this time last year, so it shouldn't come as a surprise.
Reply 8
Original post by BH83

Posted from TSR Mobile

Contact your prospective uni. Each organisation is responsible for ensuring that the SF system lists all of their relevant courses. If the uni has already informed SF then it's up to them to chase SF and get it listed.
Reply 9
Original post by Klix88
Contact your prospective uni. Each organisation is responsible for ensuring that the SF system lists all of their relevant courses. If the uni has already informed SF then it's up to them to chase SF and get it listed.

Thanks, I've rang them and they're in the process of sorting it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had a problem logging in to an existing account as I wasn't sure on the email address as I was sure it was such a time ago that is was a dormant and non-existent email.

I couldn't find any student finance letters to hand so I didn't have my customer reference number either.

I clicked forgot email and it asked some security questions which were easy to answer and then it shows an email which I then replaced with the email address I wish to use now and changed the password and I was in!

Easy to sign up, need your passport and bank details, what course and how much loan etc and then you have to print off the form, sign it and send it in the post! :biggrin:
Original post by BH83

Mine didn't seem to be, but then I saw that the mouse had caught Cardiff instead of Cardiff Met when clicking on the previous screen. It's easy to do so maybe double check you've definitely chosen the right place.
Reply 12
The application is abit confusing 🤔 I've signed in with my old login however everything seems to be undergraduate focused; MBA course is not on there! It also asks questions about maintenance loans and what level this qualificatio is (foundation degree, Ba Ect) Nothing specific to the postgraduate course or loan. Is this the right application? TIA
Just applied for mine but it says Application Incomplete even though it says it's been submitted :/ anyone else having that problem?
AmiLuisa Mine said I was submitted but not finished yet, it was referring to the declaration form you have to print, sign and post to them. They will still consider your application, but they can't physically pay you until they have the declaration.

Dm87, did you go to the right section? You should choose 'higher education' and then 'postgraduate'. The page moves around a little because of the suggestion lists that pop up, so make sure you're clicking the right options when filling in the form to get the right uni and course list, but as long as you are on postgraduate you shouldn't be seeing undergrad stuff.
My applications been approved, just need to send declaration form weird they said 4-6 weeks. Unless approved means they've just seen my application.
Approved is approved, if you look in your correspondence section you will see a copy of your entitlement letter with the amount on it. I think any paperwork that is physically sent in takes 4-6 weeks to process, so if you want to be paid on time just send it in asap. It won't affect your approval, but the actual payment of money can be delayed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending