The Student Room Group

Are your parents allowed to decide what college/sixth form you go to?

I am entering college this September. I want to go to a college that is very good, rates outstanding by Ofsted, nice atmosphere, good teachers etc. etc. I feel like i would be able to fit in better in this school. However, both my parents want me to go to another Sixth Form which I don't feel as comfortable attending (don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with it per se, I just don't like the atmosphere there). So, can I get into the college that I want to go into without my parents' approval or having to sign anything? Because they told me it was either the college they wanted or I couldn't take A-levels at all. And are they allowed to dictate where I can and cannot go to college? Like does their choice of school have authority over mine at 16??
They don't have any control no, but at the same time it's important you go by with that they want for you as you'll need them a lot if you go to university and afterwards. Point? Don't do anything that they massively oppose
Original post by BrianMcEgg
They don't have any control no, but at the same time it's important you go by with that they want for you as you'll need them a lot if you go to university and afterwards. Point? Don't do anything that they massively oppose

So they don't need to sign anything regarding my enrolment in the college I want to go to? It will be purely down to me? Because my mum stated she would refuse to sign anything to get me into that college.
Original post by RogueRedeemer
So they don't need to sign anything regarding my enrolment in the college I want to go to? It will be purely down to me? Because my mum stated she would refuse to sign anything to get me into that college.

Nope, they won't be required to sign anything as far as I know. However, I'd be careful because as I said earlier, you don't want to strain your relationship with your parents at 16, trust me on this one.
Only you will have to sign something to get into college not your parents but if you want to get a bursary/EMA (depending on where you live) then you'll need your parents help.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Why are they not allowing you to go to the one you want to go to?
It is a bad move by your parents to restrict your choices, you would be well within your expectations to rebel at this.
Have you tried to have in-depth talks with them about why you want to make this choice?

At the end of the day, I have a very good relationship with my parents and I would therefore take their advice very seriously. At the same time they allow me full freedom to make my final choice. I think this is how it should be, but I know some parents aren't like that.

If you haven't already, I would definitely suggest having that in-depth talk with them and see where that gets you.
Original post by RogueRedeemer
I am entering college this September. I want to go to a college that is very good, rates outstanding by Ofsted, nice atmosphere, good teachers etc. etc. I feel like i would be able to fit in better in this school. However, both my parents want me to go to another Sixth Form which I don't feel as comfortable attending (don't get me wrong, nothing wrong with it per se, I just don't like the atmosphere there). So, can I get into the college that I want to go into without my parents' approval or having to sign anything? Because they told me it was either the college they wanted or I couldn't take A-levels at all. And are they allowed to dictate where I can and cannot go to college? Like does their choice of school have authority over mine at 16??

It is fully your choice, you apply and go where you want to. Surely they should want you to go to the best sixth form and that is outstanding for a reason
Thank you for all the replies guys. And it's not as if I plan to mess around for my AS and A-levels either, I want to go into dentistry so I know how competitive it can get. And my mum hasn't given me a solid reason that she doesn't want me going other than a cousin of mine went there and converted to Muslim because the school I want to go is mixed Christian and IslamicOur family are very devout Christians so... plus she feels because the classes where she wants me to go are smaller so I can get more help. But I have no problem staying behind after class and asking the teacher for help, and the classes where I want to go aren't that much bigger than the classes where she wants me to go. And she said it would make it easier for my little brother to get into that school, but I said if he doesn't get the right grades to get into this school by himself, then he shouldn't be going there regardless. Basically, she hasn't actually given me a good reason NOT to go, and feels that just because it is more "posh" I should go
Sorry to hear this. It is important to do what's right for you and it's also hard to deal with controlling parents.

Are there any lies you can tell to manipulate the situation (for eg, the college you don't want to go to won't accept you or don't offer a career relevant subject combination. Something like that?). I say this because sometimes it pays to think creatively regarding parents who just won't budge on stuff that really matters to you.
For my college, there was a letter which my dad had to sign. Also I go to a college that is rated good and I think this is best college ever, teachers are good, they know how to teach, the people are all good and friendly.
I feel like if I went to an outstanding college/ sixth form (which I think I could based on my grades) they would put me under a lot of pressure and I wouldn't be able to do as well as I'm doing this year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending