The Student Room Group

Lying on UCAS statement question

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fefssdf
just think of how many people claim to have read books for their subject *cough* and don't get round to actually doing it

Honestly mentioning that you have read a book isn't really going to show anything to make you look more competitive. So often admission tutors skip the mention of books and may just mention it as a quick question at interview. So if you haven't read it they could probably tell. however work Experiance is a lot more important medical school are looking for what you have learnt from it etc therefore by lying you are claiming you have skills you don't have. At interview you will struggle when they ask you a question about your work Experiance and test the skills you claim you have.

Stick to the truth at least if it's less it's gonna be quality.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vashappeninkira
Honestly mentioning that you have read a book isn't really going to show anything to make you look more competitive. So often admission tutors skip the mention of books and may just mention it as a quick question at interview. So if you haven't read it they could probably tell. however work Experiance is a lot more important medical school are looking for what you have learnt from it etc therefore by lying you are claiming you have skills you don't have. At interview you will struggle when they ask you a question about your work Experiance and test the skills you claim you have.

Stick to the truth at least if it's less it's gonna be quality.

yh i mean i wouldn't ever lie about something that significant but its just aboutt reading a book then nobody can really know if you have or not tbh
Original post by super_kawaii
If the work experience is relevant to and expected for your degree course, uni admissions will often check with where you say you did your experience to make sure you did it.

If it's not expected for your degree, why are you wasting precious space on your application talking about it?

THIS

If it matters they'll check for it.

If it doesn't matter it isn't worth lying about.

Your referee will read your PS. If there's lies in there and they slip past the referee you damage the reputation of your entire school. For no benefit.

If you can't write a PS on what you enjoy about a subject without lying how on EARTH do you think you're going to stay motivated to study the subject for 3+ years.

Super curriculars can be done in a handful of afternoons that are far more compelling than made up possible maybe future work experience.
Original post by fefssdf
yh i mean i wouldn't ever lie about something that significant but its just aboutt reading a book then nobody can really know if you have or not tbh

If all you say in your PS is "I read this book " then you're doing it wrong. Further reading is about "I read this book and really enjoyed the chapter on xxxxx. The contrast with how this topic was covered in otherbook was interesting and helped me better understand how xxxxx leads to yyyyyy"
My advice is u can make sth up as long as it is relevant, and you could go along with it. Make sure its not too obvious and dnt let them find out. Some tutors can be asking u about it so embrace urself. Good luck
You could say 'I'm hoping to set up work experience placements with A, B and C' but as others have said there are better ways of using the space and proving your interest in the subject. Don't lie, applications staff aren't stupid and you'll get caught out one day.
Original post by 9423562374613
But since that cant prove it, it can only improve my application right?
What course are you applying for?
Original post by 9423562374613
I know it is wrong to lie about some things e.g. saying "I did Duke of Edinburgh gold...." because you could get caught out in an interview but is there anything wrong with saying something like "I arranged work experience to do this summer and..."? Thanks

here is a thought- why not arrange some work experience for the summer? Or is that too radical ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending