The Student Room Group

GRE for UK students in UK unis?

Just started looking at Masters options for Computer Science for 2017 entry and noticed that Imperial are now requiring GRE scores for all applicants (not just international).

I'm familiar with the GRE having looked at studying in the US then promptly realising I'm way too poor to pay the crazy fees they have over there, plus the logistics of getting there and studying/paying for GRE exams.

Is the GRE going to become more common for home students anyway? I know it's sometimes used for international students coming to study in the UK but I'm feeling kinda pissed that if I want to apply to imperial I've got to do a US graduate test that I'm gonna have to study for alongside my final year studying CS, presumably taking the test before the end of the year to allow me to apply.

Seriously, am I the only one this seems a bit ridiculous to? Not to mention the cost, $195 out of pocket (assuming I get the score I want on the first try). Oh wait, but financial aid is available if you're a US Resident to make sure the cost of the GRE is not a barrier to postgrad study... Thanks Imperial, I'll just apply for a green card shall I? On a side note, anyone know where else is good for Computer Science at Masters level?
You'll have to do some research about which courses are available for what you want to do. Are you sure the GRE is a requirement? I can't see it from my brief search. I doubt it'll get more common in the UK though.
Reply 2
Original post by alleycat393
You'll have to do some research about which courses are available for what you want to do. Are you sure the GRE is a requirement? I can't see it from my brief search. I doubt it'll get more common in the UK though.

Confusing, isn't it? You can see that the GRE is listed here on the Computing department's how to apply page (rather than on any entry requirements section). It is listed as highly recommended but upon questioning whether this was solely for international applicants, I was told it was to be made compulsory for 2017 entry for all applicants.

It just astounds me that they'd use an American examination for entry. If anything it seems to me that they are penalising UK/EU students in an effort to recruit more overseas students (who are more likely to do a GRE test if applying to multiple western unit). I can only assume this is done to collect the £28k overseas fees where possible rather than the £12k home fees. Here I thought it was an elitism thing, but they only list the entry requirements as a 2:1 leading me to think it's nothing to do with that.
Well if it is a requirement then you're going to have to do it. Irrespective of why and how fair it is for them to ask for this test, if it's required for an application and you want to submit one then you've got to take the test unfortunately.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=70642364&highlight= hey guys, could you check this out please! need help asap

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending