The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Changing courses/language electives

This might be a long shot, but hopefully there's a Leeds student out there with an answer...

I'm currently having a bit of a crisis about studying English Literature and Language at University. Back in September, I didn't have a clue what I wanted to do and chose English because it's my strongest subject and what I enjoyed the most.
My circumstances have changed a bit since then, I didn't enjoy A2 English Literature at all (although this is possibly a combination of the texts and the teachers...) and I'm worrying that I won't enjoy my BA. I'm also worried about job prospects, especially considering the competition for places in English courses at Unis, what will it be like in the working world when there's an influx of English graduates?!

I've really enjoyed A2 politics this year and i'm very envious of a few of my friends who are going to be studying it. I find it fascinating and I'm very interested in the job prospects. I'd love to work in an embassy or as a civil servant and a politics degree seems to be one of the best ways into these jobs.

So, long story short, I'm seriously considering switching courses, from English Language and Literature to Political Studies.
I've briefly searched the Leeds Uni website for information about how to do this or whether it is even feasible and have found none. I know this is probably something that is unique depending on the departments involved but here's two questions just to get a general idea;

1) Are there any prospective Leeds students in my position?
2) Have you, or do you know anyone who has, successfully switched courses at this stage?

And finally, is it possible to take language electives with either of the aforementioned courses? I'd love to learn a language, having not done so at GCSE :smile:

Sorry for the massive post and thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
Reply 1
I'm not sure about changing courses. Maybe try and find an email address for someone at the department that deals with political studies?

As for languages, if you find a page describing the courses they should mention if you get extra credits for electives. Language electives are usually 20 credits spreading over both semesters (although I think there are a few 10 credit ones).
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
you should be able to pick up a language elective, although they go pretty quickly, I tried to get spanish electives but ive never done it before and the beginners classes were full by the time i went! Not sure about changing courses, I do joint honours so mine works differently but I can could have changed mine!

Latest