The Student Room Group

UCAS personal statement help

Recently started to write up my personal statement for my UCAS application. Im applying for Biomed and am really struggling to write it up. I thought I was making an alright start until one of the mentors told me how rubbish and terrible it was. Really knocked my confidence in trying to write it. Can anyone give me a helping hand and/or maybe take a look at it for me?
I could, if that helps, I've done my personal statement at GCSE, I can try and show you that? My teachers said it was quite good. :smile:
Reply 2
Hi!
I just finished A Levels, so I started mine last year.
I'm doing Politics so I may not be too much help subject wise, but there are some tips that will help.

1. Make sure it's written well. It may be brilliant content wise, but make sure that your SPAG is perfect, as they will look out for that.
2. Emphasise the good, never mention the bad.
3. Don't just say the stuff you've done, explain it and say how it helped you. Make sure it doesn't eat up too much of the statement.
4. Make sure your opening packs a punch- some people use quotes, we were advised against it, but it's up to you.
5. Perhaps say what got you into it.
6. Mention anything positive you've achieved, even if it isn't related to your degree.
7. Above all, make sure it isn't too similar to anyone else's. They take plagiarism seriously. Be careful in sharing it as well.
8. Ask trusted teachers and family. They'll give you honest feedback.
9. Proofread, proofread, proofread
10. Try not to be too jokey, the person on the other end may not have an amazing sense of humour.

Best of luck with it all. It is hard, but it is rewarding getting your place.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Check out the PS builder tool in my signature below :smile: Altho the requirements are different if you are applying for accredited or non-accredited courses
Original post by Reachin4TheStars
I could, if that helps, I've done my personal statement at GCSE, I can try and show you that? My teachers said it was quite good. :smile:

Could I see it too? :colondollar: Please?

That's not really very useful for a UCAS PS - the requirements and target audience are very different.
Sure, here you go. :smile:
It has a few mistakes and that,please forgive me for them. :biggrin:

Thanks! I just realised that I was looking for a UCAS PS... And thank you, @PQ
Original post by raniafern
Thanks! I just realised that I was looking for a UCAS PS... And thank you, @PQ

If you want to read other PSs there are hundreds in the PS library: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement_Library

The quality varies a lot though. I'd strongly recommend (as @*Interrobang* said above) using the PS tool to draft and write your PS: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/personal_statement_builder/make_some_notes
Original post by PQ
That's not really very useful for a UCAS PS - the requirements and target audience are very different.

I did edit it a bit and put it on UCAS but ok, sorry about that. :smile:
@raniafern :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending