The Student Room Group

Sociology or History A level?

I just noticed that I accidentally placed this post in the GCSE section. I have reposted it in the A level section now. So far, I have know that I want to do Psychology and English Literature A levels. I want to become a lawyer. I have studied History and Sociology at GCSE. I did find Sociology more intriguing compared to History. In fact, I didn't like History because I found it dull. A few people have told me that you can get an A easily in Sociology. The History A level is about The Cold War and Tudors at my college. The Tudors seems interesting, but the Cold War doesn't. I know that History A level is a facilitating subject, but I need too make sure that I get high grades at A level. I am okay at interpreting sources. My college does AQA History and Sociology.
Original post by _aishahxo_
I just noticed that I accidentally placed this post in the GCSE section. I have reposted it in the A level section now. So far, I have know that I want to do Psychology and English Literature A levels. I want to become a lawyer. I have studied History and Sociology at GCSE. I did find Sociology more intriguing compared to History. In fact, I didn't like History because I found it dull. A few people have told me that you can get an A easily in Sociology. The History A level is about The Cold War and Tudors at my college. The Tudors seems interesting, but the Cold War doesn't. I know that History A level is a facilitating subject, but I need too make sure that I get high grades at A level. I am okay at interpreting sources. My college does AQA History and Sociology.

See my answer to you on your previous post.
I have just finished my AS History. It wasn't a difficult course, it is just packed with things you need to know, dates you need to remember and it is a shocking step up from A Leve because you are no longer looking at simple facts. Instead, you are analysing historians interpretations and looking at a range of viewpoints which adds another element that you may not be used to. A lot of people struggled in my class with that aspect.

One of my close friends studies Sociology and she found it ridiculously easy and is a set or an A. It seems as thoug it is easier to hit that mark ith sociology.

What I would recommend is that you thoroughly read the course specifications before making a decision, pick something you will enjoy as it will motivate you to work that little bit harder.

Alana x
Reply 3
Lool do Sociology, you've already got one strong subject, English Literature, so you're fine.
An A in Sociology is better than a D in History
TRUST ME I did AS Level History and I hated every minute of it. If you don't like it now, whatever the topic, chances are you will loathe it at AS.
Original post by _aishahxo_

Since law is so competitive, I'd say go with History because it's not seen as a "soft subject" like sociology is and your application will be seen as stronger, although it depends on the unis you pick. Have a look at some of the entry requirements for the unis you're considering

History is easier when you find it interesting, but it's not hard as long as you understand essay structure/how to answer the question. I did a topic for AS which I absolutely hated (Charles I) but in the end I did better in that unit than the one I really enjoyed- so you never know what might happen! Maybe the best idea is to see which subject you get better gcse results in and then decide

Quick Reply

Latest