The Student Room Group

Am I a failure in life if I don't do medicine?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lularose83
Ok, so I've wanted to study medicine for the past 2 years or so. I have just come back from medical work experience abroad and I didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would- the only experience that made me feel a spark of passion was observing surgery. However, I want to have a family and understand that entering surgery, for a female doctor, can be quite tricky. My a level results come out next month and I think I have achieved AAA- AAB, but I can't know for sure. I worked as hard as I possibly could, but feel they could have done better. I don't really want to try GEM if I don't get the grades next month either. So I'm considering doing a degree in neuroscience after my gap year (this year). However, my family are really encouraging about medicine and would be a bit disappointed if I did neuroscience (because what can I actually do with my life after the degree is over??).

So basically I'm in a bit of mess. I think I want to be a doctor, but then I also want to live a happy and free life. I probably feel this way just because of nerves in relation to results day :smile:

So, does doing a science degree other than medicine make me less likely to succeed in life/ have a job I love?? :frown:

Hi Lularose

How are you feeling about things now?

This is clearly a difficult decision for you but please do try not to worry. As you said, this is probably in part related to the fast approaching results day and you might feel entirely differently after that.

It is interesting that you say that you have wanted to study medicine for the past 2 years but that now having done some medical work experience you may have changed your mind. Did something happen during the work experience that has put you off? Or was it just not what you expected?

Ultimately as others have already said to you, you need to decide for yourself what you would like to study and what your future career will be.

You might want to read this blog post as I am sure there are elements in this that you will be able to relate to.

I hope that is of some use to you. Please don't worry, I am sure you will make the right choice for you. Good luck with your results!

Do give me a shout if you have any questions I can answer.

UniAdmissions

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending