The Student Room Group

If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Straight up G
Any type in particular?

To be honest, I am so unsure. i was thinking maybe the iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy Ace....but I look at other phones as wel and I really don't know what to go for. Also, I don't know if I wanna get a contract phone.
Original post by Dee Leigh
To be honest, I am so unsure. i was thinking maybe the iPhone or the Samsung Galaxy Ace....but I look at other phones as wel and I really don't know what to go for. Also, I don't know if I wanna get a contract phone.

iPhone and Samsung Galaxy Ace aren't in the same league haha. How many minutes/texts do you use right now, and do you think you'd make use of the internet on the go (most phones you buy now will work with a wifi system, if you have one)
Original post by Straight up G
iPhone and Samsung Galaxy Ace aren't in the same league haha. How many minutes/texts do you use right now, and do you think you'd make use of the internet on the go (most phones you buy now will work with a wifi system, if you have one)

Lol, to be honest I really don't have a clue about the best phones ever. I was also thinking of getting a blackberry, but it's the major debate between people I know - "iphone/blackberry/android is better" so I'm so clueless. At the moment I use a pay as you go phone.
Reply 183
If you pay for a certain number of texts each month but you haven't used them all by the end of the month, do the un-used texts get taken over to the next month for you to use, or do they dissappear? :smile:
Original post by Dee Leigh
Lol, to be honest I really don't have a clue about the best phones ever. I was also thinking of getting a blackberry, but it's the major debate between people I know - "iphone/blackberry/android is better" so I'm so clueless. At the moment I use a pay as you go phone.

Tbh, you just gotta think, can you afford the extra cost of iPhone? If you can, go for it. It would probably be the best choice for you, unless you REALLY REALLY want an Android, but for most people, I think the extra apps and the iphone factor etc outweigh Android... If you can't afford one (like me :P), then do you want BBM? If the answer is no, or maybe, then look at Androids.

There are LOADS of Androids, but the best idea for you is to try and get a HTC one. HTC are the best brand when it comes to ease of use and tech support if you need it bla bla bla. There are loads of HTCs, so cost isn't a big worry tbh. My mum has a pretty old one, and it's still really, really good.

How much do you top up every month? If it's more than 10 pound, you should definitely be on a contract.
Original post by BritGirl
If you pay for a certain number of texts each month but you haven't used them all by the end of the month, do the un-used texts get taken over to the next month for you to use, or do they dissappear? :smile:

Disappear.
I had my phone stolen last night so I'm on the hunt for a smartphone under £100. Thought I'd found one, the Orange San Francisco is apparently good and Orange are giving £30 off to lots of people. But since people were talking lots about that offer of HUKD and other sites Orange have set the requirement of needing a number that has topped up each month for three months. Quite annoying because my dad is an Orange user but rarely uses the phone so doesn't qualify and neither does my old Orange number I was looking to reuse. I could still buy it for £100 + £20 top up but when they're giving it away for £75 with free £10 credit I feel I should take my business elsewhere when they're suddenly being so anal about who qualifies as an Orange user.

So any recommendations for a phone around £80-100? Normally I'd wait for a good deal before buying a phone but I can't sit around and wait. Orange actually suggested I use my dad's crap phone and top it up for a few months and THEN try to purchase the phone I want from them. I mean what planet are these people on?
Reply 187
Original post by Sephiroth
I had my phone stolen last night so I'm on the hunt for a smartphone under £100. Thought I'd found one, the Orange San Francisco is apparently good and Orange are giving £30 off to lots of people. But since people were talking lots about that offer of HUKD and other sites Orange have set the requirement of needing a number that has topped up each month for three months. Quite annoying because my dad is an Orange user but rarely uses the phone so doesn't qualify and neither does my old Orange number I was looking to reuse. I could still buy it for £100 + £20 top up but when they're giving it away for £75 with free £10 credit I feel I should take my business elsewhere when they're suddenly being so anal about who qualifies as an Orange user.

So any recommendations for a phone around £80-100? Normally I'd wait for a good deal before buying a phone but I can't sit around and wait. Orange actually suggested I use my dad's crap phone and top it up for a few months and THEN try to purchase the phone I want from them. I mean what planet are these people on?

Have you considered the htc wildfire? it's dropped in price quite alot now the Wildfire S has come out, you can get it for around £100 most places. I have the orange san fran and it's a decent phone for the price (I got it for £80) but i've played around with a friends wildfire and it feels much more slick than mine, i'd choose the htc over the san fran any day.
From what I read the San Francisco is better than the Wildfire unless you get the S version so I just forked out for the San Francisco. £12 cash back and £1 phone fund means I only really paid £87 for it. I'm planning to get off Orange as soon as possible as 100mb internet allowance is retarded. They gave me a nice phone number however so I'll have to use the credit and get a PAC rather than just stick my old O2 SIM in! I'm annoyed with the Orange activation process, been nearly three hours now and still no activation texts so I can't use it. Man with other companies you can have your phone up and running in minutes, they must be using an ancient system.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm looking for a new phone, here's what I need:
- pay monthly needs to be under £15
- need a decent/unlimited texts
- need a decent amount of call time (no less than 50 mins)
- preferably a smartphone
- needs to be on either orange or t mobile
- NEEDS TO BE RELIABLE (unlike my ****ty tocco lite that doesn't seem to receive texts properly)

I was thinking maybe HTC Wildfire S?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 190
Right well i'm also looking for a new phone. I think I'm going to get a samsung 2120, It has excellent battery life, it's hard to break and it's cheap. I don't care much for smartphones (too expensive and I really don't see the point). Does anyone have any suggestions to what other phone I should consider instead of the 2120?
Get the San Fran over the Wildfire every time. Unless you have no eyes.
Original post by Melting Sugar.
I'm looking for a new phone, here's what I need:
- pay monthly needs to be under £15
- need a decent/unlimited texts
- need a decent amount of call time (no less than 50 mins)
- preferably a smartphone
- needs to be on either orange or t mobile
- NEEDS TO BE RELIABLE (unlike my ****ty tocco lite that doesn't seem to receive texts properly)

I was thinking maybe HTC Wildfire S?

Why on earth do you need Everythng Everywhere? That alone is going to limit your choice massively or waste you a lot of money.
Original post by dulcificum
Why on earth do you need Everythng Everywhere? That alone is going to limit your choice massively or waste you a lot of money.

What do you mean by Everything Everywhere? I'm willing to spend up to £20 a month, because I'm not made of money/daddy doesn't pay for everything and am an unemployed student atm (although my placement should be £13-15k it's not till the second year).

I'm applying for / will be on a placement throughout my two year contract so need a decent amount of minutes and need to be contactable (hence the amount of minutes needed, the fact that it needs to be a smartphone, the fact that it needs to be reliable and Orange/T mobile are the only networks that I can get signal in the middle of nowhere that I live AND at university).

I don't care if it limits my options, I was looking to see if there is actually a phone that can meet those requirements.
Reply 194
I am looking for:

[INDENT]A) The cheapest smartphone that has android, good battery and tough screen preferably.

B) A PAYG that has unlimited or practically unlimited data. I know of the giffgaff thing but they are supposed to end the offer sometime soon, aren't they? I'd like to be a plan or something that never ends.[/INDENT]
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 195
Original post by Melting Sugar.
What do you mean by Everything Everywhere? I'm willing to spend up to £20 a month, because I'm not made of money/daddy doesn't pay for everything and am an unemployed student atm (although my placement should be £13-15k it's not till the second year).

I'm applying for / will be on a placement throughout my two year contract so need a decent amount of minutes and need to be contactable (hence the amount of minutes needed, the fact that it needs to be a smartphone, the fact that it needs to be reliable and Orange/T mobile are the only networks that I can get signal in the middle of nowhere that I live AND at university).

I don't care if it limits my options, I was looking to see if there is actually a phone that can meet those requirements.

Do you need a data plan with the contract? If so you'll be struggling big time to meet all those requirements.
Reply 196
Original post by Hello oh
Do you need a data plan with the contract? If so you'll be struggling big time to meet all those requirements.

Thanks for the reply!

Probably I wasn't clear enough. I am willing to buy a phone separately at street price and I don't want the PAYG to come with the phone, so I need one cheap android smartphone with a battery that lasts and a PAYG sim that has an unlimited (or very hefty/generous) data plan and I don't care about the rest rates.
Reply 197
When you say you want a payg sim do you mean a sim only rolling contract? that'd be your best bet for getting decent minutes/texts/data. 3 mobile are the best value for money from £10 a month depending what you want. Check them out http://threestore.three.co.uk/simonly.aspx?id=1183

As for phones it depends how cheap... Assuming you're talking less than £150 you wanna be considering the two htc wildfires (wildfire and wildfire S), motorola defy is reasonably cheap now, and the orange san francisco and the new orange range they have coming out soon (Stockholm, monte carlo). Hope that gives you some ideas!
Reply 198
Original post by Hello oh
When you say you want a payg sim do you mean a sim only rolling contract? that'd be your best bet for getting decent minutes/texts/data. 3 mobile are the best value for money from £10 a month depending what you want. Check them out http://threestore.three.co.uk/simonly.aspx?id=1183

As for phones it depends how cheap... Assuming you're talking less than £150 you wanna be considering the two htc wildfires (wildfire and wildfire S), motorola defy is reasonably cheap now, and the orange san francisco and the new orange range they have coming out soon (Stockholm, monte carlo). Hope that gives you some ideas!

Thanks again for the reply, I'll have a look at the devices you suggested.

As for the 3mobile, their SIM only £15/month thing is what I'd like but like the giffgaff goodybags it says "offer valid until 31st July". I am coming to England in September and I would like (almost) unlimited data for the whole year so I can use skype to call home, talk to friends etc when I am not at a computer so preferably I wouldn't like to change phone numbers constantly following the offers different networks have each time. :s-smilie: Am I really asking for too much?
Reply 199
Original post by mac32
Thanks again for the reply, I'll have a look at the devices you suggested.

As for the 3mobile, their SIM only £15/month thing is what I'd like but like the giffgaff goodybags it says "offer valid until 31st July". I am coming to England in September and I would like (almost) unlimited data for the whole year so I can use skype to call home, talk to friends etc when I am not at a computer so preferably I wouldn't like to change phone numbers constantly following the offers different networks have each time. :s-smilie: Am I really asking for too much?

Have you seen the 12 month sim only contracts on the 3 website? They might suit you better lasting the whole year, and are generally better value than the 1 month rolling contracts. E.g. you can get 600 minutes, 3000 texts and 1gb of internet (that should be plenty) for £15/month.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending