The Student Room Group

If you're looking for a new mobile phone/tariff please look here first!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm going to uni soon, and need a new phone. I figure I'll use it quite a lot in uni so it would be worth getting a contract. Can anyone recommend a reasonable phone with a relatively cheap contract? Cheers.
Help needed!

I've got myself into a bit of a mess. I currently have 2 working sim cards, both are on orange. One is a Payg which i've had for a long time and am on a tarriff they don't do anymore. The second is a sim-only 1 month rolling contract on Dolphin 15 which I've just upgraded to dolphin 20.

I got the sim only to see what I am like on contract before commiting myself, I've quickly realised I need more minutes if I am on contract.

But now I want a new phone. The phone that i want is only £73 on payg and I could use the phone fund on my payg sim to get this down to £59. However, seeing as i've just got a contract sim card, it seems silly to have a contract sim in a payg phone.

Do you think I'd be able to get this phone for free on a contract similiar to dolphin 20 or should I buy it on payg so that I'm not tied to a longer contract. As I've been with orange for a very long time I am hoping that I'll be able to get some sort of deal as they have been good to me to keep my business in the past.

Any help?
Reply 82
hey i got 500 quid worth of contract upgrades (never update my phone) so wanna use them now before i go to uni.

im on vodaphone/3g or something so can't get the iphone. any suggestions? im considering a htc hero atm.

i want basically a phone which looks nice, good easy MP3 player!!! (interface+quality) and preferably a nice video player but not neccesary.

i basically want my phone to double as an mp3 player so i dont have to carry a load of stuff in my pockets at uni... i lose stuff easily whilst drunk.
aoaaron
hey i got 500 quid worth of contract upgrades (never update my phone) so wanna use them now before i go to uni.

im on vodaphone/3g or something so can't get the iphone. any suggestions? im considering a htc hero atm.

i want basically a phone which looks nice, good easy MP3 player!!! (interface+quality) and preferably a nice video player but not neccesary.

i basically want my phone to double as an mp3 player so i dont have to carry a load of stuff in my pockets at uni... i lose stuff easily whilst drunk.

The Hero would certainly suffice! :yep:

If you want to know more about it, join us in the Android OS thread! :smile:
Reply 84
aoaaron

The iPhone will be coming to the Vodafone network, but maybe not until 2010
Reply 85
Hi all,

I'm not a big mobile phone user - I've been on Payasyougo for years, despite it costing me through the nose for bugger all features and an old phone. It's just something I've not had to think about.

I've been drawn to the Nokia 5800. I'd go for an iPhone, but I can't be arsed paying the extra for it just to ponce around. Anyway, I've looked around a bit and seen it on Virgin - 18 month contract, 150 minutes, 500 texts (which seems reasonable to me - I'll never use 500 texts, but on normal usage 150 minutes sounds fine) and unlimited internet (a nice thing to play with); for £18 a month. I like the sound of that.

Can anyone see any flaws with that, or indeed find me a better tariff package to be on? As I've said, I've barely any idea about mobile phones or how things work with contracts. Would it maybe be worthwhile going into shops and trying to negotiate with them? Or should I just order online and be done with it?
Reply 86
L i b
Hi all,

I'm not a big mobile phone user - I've been on Payasyougo for years, despite it costing me through the nose for bugger all features and an old phone. It's just something I've not had to think about.

I've been drawn to the Nokia 5800. I'd go for an iPhone, but I can't be arsed paying the extra for it just to ponce around. Anyway, I've looked around a bit and seen it on Virgin - 18 month contract, 150 minutes, 500 texts (which seems reasonable to me - I'll never use 500 texts, but on normal usage 150 minutes sounds fine) and unlimited internet (a nice thing to play with); for £18 a month. I like the sound of that.

Can anyone see any flaws with that, or indeed find me a better tariff package to be on? As I've said, I've barely any idea about mobile phones or how things work with contracts. Would it maybe be worthwhile going into shops and trying to negotiate with them? Or should I just order online and be done with it?

If you're not too fussed about the phone it might be worth looking at SIM only tariffs. I get 150 minutes and 300 messages allowance (though no internet - having said that my phone's too old to use it anyway!) for £10 a month on O2 simplicity, with the added bonus that I can cancel the contract with 30 days notice. It's also not uncommon for it to be cheaper to buy a PAYG phone and a SIM only contract for less than the price increase of getting a contract. If you can live without the internet and can stump up for a phone up front then any phone that's £144 PAYG or less will be cheaper than buying one through the £18 18 month contract. As for negotiating etc. I can't offer any advice but I'm looking for a new phone and tariff at the moment and keep hitting a brick wall - I simply cannot be bothered to keep trawling through websites. uSwitch.com do a price comparison on various contracts, but they're generally ones with a cashback offer that requires you to send off specific bills in a very specific timeframe to get the cheque. It's a real pain and they will try and wriggle out of paying if they can, although I managed to get everything back from the Carphone Warehouse. Personally I'd avoid going for one of these schemes from some small website, as they've been known to go bust or simply not pay and leaving you paying substantially more than you intended.
My personal rant - I wish somewhere on all these websites and flashy displays in stores they somewhere told you the differences between phones! I'm looking at a Blackberry and there seem to be four common models out at the moment. One has a touchscreen, but the other three normally don't have any differences highlighted, and cost vastly different sums!
Reply 87
Does anyone have any experience with talkmobile as a mobile provider? They have a really good sim deal, well I think it's good - £20 top up for 30 days of unlimited texts, 30p a day for unlimited (upto 25MB a day - is that much?) internet. Are they a good provider?
Reply 88
For any PAYG people, have a look at 3

http://freeagent.three.co.uk/stand/view/id/651

You get an extra £2 credit if you order it from the page which the link links to. They also give you a tenner for keeping your number. And they give you loads of free stuff for topping up by even just a tenner

Fits me perfectly :smile:
Reply 89
I'm wanting to buy a new phone, I am currently on o2 pay and go and would like to keep with an o2 phone.
I don't really want to spend over £100 but would like a phone that looks nice, and most importantly is good for texting and phoning so battery life is quite important.
Any ideas would be much appreciated?
what about giff gaff, I saw them advertising on the site the other day, does anyone know what they are about? Iceman?
Are there any alternatives to the O2 Simplicity SIM for SIM-only deals. I'm on PAYG and now I'm back at Uni it's getting expensive, and as I don't want a contract there isn't much choice about. Any suggestions?
Reply 92
Hi
im just wondering if this contract would work on jailbroken/unlocked iphones? im mainly interested in the free internet though - also if anyone has a better deal that offers unlimited internet for 15 pounds a month or less please let me know

http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/sim-only-iphone/12_months
Reply 93
Mobile phones, contracts etc, what a mine field. 90% of my phone calls are to family and friend who do not live in the UK. So it seems no matter which company i sign up with i will be stuck with 100's of free minutes, as they are not valid for overseas calls. Does anyone have any suggestions ?
Reply 94
curiousman
Mobile phones, contracts etc, what a mine field. 90% of my phone calls are to family and friend who do not live in the UK. So it seems no matter which company i sign up with i will be stuck with 100's of free minutes, as they are not valid for overseas calls. Does anyone have any suggestions ?

Get a deal with BT for your landline for international calls.
Reply 95
This Question has probably been asked Loads of times

But whats the best most cost effective Iphone Deal out there ? ideally no longer than 18 months

I need a around 100 texts ,a few minutes and 1GB internet , do most of my communication through facebook
Hello Iceman, u dont live too far from me I live in near Croydon lol :smile: I was just wondering whether you could tell me what a good Blackberry contract is for 25 p/m and what it includes?

Many thanks, keep doing ur great job :biggrin: xx
Reply 97
RNBen
Get a deal with BT for your landline for international calls.

Thanks, i tried that, its still quite expensive. I have recently found the perfect solution. Its called talktotheworld.co.uk

They have amazing deals on international calls, theres no sign up fee, theres no contract. You simply get very, very cheap calls. Not only that i can also call from either my landline or mobile. The line is very clear and of good quality and they also tell you how much i have used, and how much i have left. If any of you guys out there make international calls. Then i would highly recommend this site, they get a big thumbs up from me. talktotheworld.co.uk :smile:
Reply 98
Help please?!

I'm looking to buy a blackberry and I'm not quite sure which one to get. The blackberry bold 9000 caught my eye (only because I like the design though, lol), but there's a newer blackberry bold model as far as I know? Just how much better is it than the older version? Is it worth getting the 9700 as opposed to the 9000, or should I check out the Curves instead? Please help me as I am completely inept when it comes to blackberries, lol.
Reply 99
As well as tariff's, please consider a whole bunch of other things like customer service, reliability etc etc. This is from my PhD research around consumer brand trust. Worth a look and can give you some further insight before you spend your cash. This is a short video on how poor the UK mobile sector is and was filmed at Liverpool St station, where the T-Mobile dance ad' was filmed

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending