The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

A* in maths vs A* in further maths

Hi guys,
I hold a conditional offer for mechanical engineering for entry this October. My offer is A*AAA with the A* in maths, would Imperial be happy with me achieving A*AAA but with the A* in futher maths? Especially as I took FP1, FP2, FP3, M2, M3 and M4?

What do you think of my chances of gaining a place? Does imperial look down on those who reapply the next year?
an A* in fm with an A in maths is pretty impressive seeing as they maximise your:
maths grade
further maths grade
maths ums
further maths ums

^ in that order, but since it's still a missed offer they can only accept you if they have places once everyone who met their firm/insurance conditions have gained a place. you don't have long to wait now, though! it's probably worth mentioning your maths UMS to them if you were really close to the A* in it
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by tanyapotter
an A* in fm with an A in maths is pretty impressive seeing as they maximise your:
maths grade
further maths grade
maths ums
further maths ums

^ in that order, but since it's still a missed offer they can only accept you if they have places once everyone who met their firm/insurance conditions have gained a place. you don't have long to wait now, though! it's probably worth mentioning your maths UMS to them if you were really close to the A* in it

Thanks for the reply.
So would I have to call Imperial on the day? Would I call admissions or someone else there? Do you think having the mechaincs modules would work to my advantage? Also do you know anything about reappplying, do you think imperial would mind me doing thay? Also is it possible that they could give me a place for enrty the year after?

Thanks
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jpacho22
Hi guys,
I hold a conditional offer for mechanical engineering for entry this October. My offer is A*AAA with the A* in maths, would Imperial be happy with me achieving A*AAA but with the A* in futher maths? Especially as I took FP1, FP2, FP3, M2, M3 and M4?

What do you think of my chances of gaining a place? Does imperial look down on those who reapply the next year?

If you're edexcel you can't get an A* in fm and an A in maths; as far as I know
Hi guys,

If it's not clear from the website, then it's worth getting in contact with admissions to ask. I'm not sure if it's worth it (depends on their response rate) or to just wait it out and see how they deal with your application. If you look at this guide it'll probably tell you that you should only ring them if your application is pending, and maybe depending on your results request a priority remark (and tell them that, maybe) for maths. Good luck!

Original post by tanyapotter
maths grade
further maths grade
maths ums
further maths ums

You could mess up C3 and C4 and do well in every other unit, not something you hear of often though, if that's how it works.
Reply 5
Original post by Stephangooner
If you're edexcel you can't get an A* in fm and an A in maths; as far as I know

As far as I know you can. From the modules I took only M1 and either M2 or S1 (plus C1 to C4) can count to my maths grade whilst the FP units and M3, M4 have to count towards my further maths grade.

SeanFM
You could mess up C3 and C4 and do well in every other unit, not something you hear of often though, if that's how it works.

Thats esentially what happened to me, I just blanked in C3 but everything else, including C4, went really well. It would be really annoying to miss out on Imperial because of C3 going poorly on the day.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
As far as I know you can. From the modules I took only M1 and either M2 or S1 (plus C1 to C4) can count to my maths grade whilst the FP units and M3, M4 have to count towards my further maths grade.

Thats esentially what happened to me, I just blanked in C3 but everything else, including C4, went really well. It would be really annoying to miss out on Imperial because of C3 going poorly on the day.

Hi, just wondering how things worked out? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending