The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Question for Accomodation Office

I've applied for accommodation at the Lupton Residence with 4 other friends. We requested to be allocated together in 1 unit because we wanted to cook ourselves to save cost and it is more convenient if we are staying together. However, we've only got conditional offers and the latest they will turn unconditional will be in early September, when we get our results. As far as i know, no allocation will be made without an unconditional offer. Does this mean that the chances of being allocated into one unit is extremely slim?
You'll be lucky.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
You could always try something really far fetched and crazy... like make new friends!
Reply 3
Oh well, making new friends is not a problem. I would love to make new friends. Its mainly about saving cost. With such a tight budget, i won't get to eat outside. I'm definately going to cook, and staying together would make that more convenient. We are trying to limit the food cost to about 10 pounds per week, per person.
Reply 4
Wow... 10 pounds per week...

I believe staying together would be able to make that, but i am not so sure if you guys were separated..
Reply 5
Exactly
sometimes I spend that much a day on food
Reply 7
not living on any budget at all i spend about 10-15/week on food shopping..

admittedly sometimes i may have some chips after a night out.. but either way £10 is hardly shocking, especially when you're sharing a house.. 2(ish) weeks of food for us is £150-£200
Elipsis
You could always try something really far fetched and crazy... like make new friends!

Hehe :biggrin:
Reply 9
£10 a week on food? Why dont you get a job for a week and you could double the ammount you have for food for a whole term! What about going out and stuff how much have you allocated for that?
Reply 10
I definately intend to work, but not too much in the expense of my studies. To be honest with you guys, i'll be doing my final year in Leeds as it is a transfer program. This year is crucial to me. I plan to study and study and nothing else until i've finished my exam. Between the completion of the exam and the graduation, i'll work and try to cover as much as possible.

And for information if any of you are interested, the UK sterling is currently 7 times the malaysian currency (RM). Say that a high street solicitor in the UK earns about 4k pounds per month, a similar standard malaysian lawyer would earn about RM 4k. If a plate of noodle is 4 pounds in the UK, it costs RM4 in malaysia.

So, for a malaysian, everything is 7x more expensive in the UK. In addition, the school fees for international students is about double, 7.9k pounds after minusing bursary. Only average or wealthier families cound send their children to the UK. Mine is financed by mortgaging the home, hehe.

Latest