The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Me: My name is George, and I'm entering Year 11 in September. You can probably guess the GC in my name, is my initials.

Hobbies and interest: Subject-wise, I love computer science and mathematics, and my interests lie within video games, primarily. I have an interest in some strategy games, action-RPGs and FPSs. I also like debating politics and philosophy, and I can get really enthusiastic and invested in my political and philosophical viewpoints.

GCSEs:

I'm taking 11 GCSEs, one of which I have already taken:

Spoiler

My favourite subjects: History, Maths and IT.

Do I think I'm ready: Yes. Over the holiday I have been compiling my science notes, since I've been procrastinating for pretty much the whole of year 9 and 10, which will hit hard with French, but with the sciences it should be easy to bounce back. I am ready to concentrate to push through Further Additional (C3, B3, P3), and hopefully come out with 3 A*s in the sciences. I prefer the challenge presented by the new Maths spec, but there seems to be very little change in English. The only thing I'm unsure about is the grade boundaries, because I am aiming for a 9 in Maths, and an 8/9 in English, but no-one knows what performance will equate to what grade, so we just have to guess lol. Although I'm kind of dreading the exams, I know I'll do fine with preparation, although I'm still having those cold sweat moments: "what if I get all Us in my GCSEs and completely **** it up", and it's sometimes hard to shake off.

My planned A-Level options:

Maths (Edexcel)

Further Maths (Edexcel)

Computer Science (???)

Physics [AS] (if I still have to have a subject to drop after AS) (Edexcel)

I'll probably be forced to do General Studies or an EPQ :unimpressed:

Planned career: No idea, I aspire to take Computer Science and/or Mathematics at university (might take a joint degree), and see where that takes me, as there is a lot of demand for CS graduates. My aspiration would be to attend Imperial/Oxbridge/Warwick/Bristol, but I'm not sure if that's realistic yet, as I haven't started A-levels lol.

Keeping a log of my progress, and that can be found both within my sig and here.
Reply 21
I should've done this much earlier up in the thread seeing that I'm running the thread but oh well ... :colondollar:

- My name is @JTran38, I'm Chinese from South East London and I'm 15-years-old.
- I'm interested in football and political/current affairs and I'm currently a member of the MHoC as a proxy MP for TSR Labour.
- I'm taking 10 GCSEs:
AQA Biology
AQA Chemistry
AQA Physics
AQA English Language [9-1]
AQA English Literature [9-1]
AQA French
Edexcel Mathematics [9-1]
OCR Computing
OCR History
Edexcel Chinese (Cantonese)*
* I'm taking lessons externally from school and I think I will sit the exams at my school.

- Personally, I'm not ready for Year 11 and the new GCSEs but I think I can manage it in the end and get the grades I want.
- Mathematics (Haven't always liked the subject), French and History (Modern History)
- After GCSEs, I'm hoping to secure a place at an outstanding 6th form to study Government & Politics, Mathematics (Possibly), Economics and if I have to drop one it's either French or Geography. Then I hope to go to a prestigious university like UCL and Warwick to study PPE or a similar course before getting a job in the field of Economics and Politics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Hello everyone, I'm Greenapplepear

I like maths and chemistry
I play the violin and piano
I also like to play badminton

I'm taking 12 subjects next year

Maths (AQA)

Further Maths (AQA)

Physics (Edexcel IGCSE)

Chemistry (Edexcel IGCSE)

Biology (Cambridge IGCSE)

English Language (OCR)

English Literature (OCR)

Religious Studies (Edexcel)

German (AQA)

French (AQA)

Geography (AQA)

Music (Edexcel)

I am kind of ready for year 11 to face the challenge but I am slightly worried about the new GCSE :frown: as our teachers have not given us enough information on it especially English lang and lit.

I would like to have a career in medicine or psychology :h:
Hey everyone!I'm Kaira1Up , or just Kaira:tongue:.
I am 15 years old, from S/E London and i am very interested in the subjects Physics and Drama.
I'm quite new to TSR but I hope to become more familiar in the next few weeks:h:.

The 10 GCSE subjects I will be taking are:
[AQA] Biology *
[AQA] Chemistry *
[AQA] Citizenship
[AQA] Drama
[AQA] English language
[AQA] English literature
[AQA] Geography
[EDEXCEL] Maths
[AQA] Physics *
[WJEC] R.E

*Triple science.

I am very nervous for year 11 because there will be very little time to improve my grades (All C's & B's), however I have decided this year to put all my effort into achieving straight A's at GCSE:smile:

After GCSE's I would like to study: Psychology, Drama and Maths for A level (As a fourth I may pick Physics but I am unsure at the moment), also im stil deciding between sixthform or college which is a really hard choice too:s-smilie:.

In the future i would like to Teach. Im not sure where or who or what yet though:biggrin:
Original post by Kaira1up
Hey everyone!I'm Kaira1Up , or just Kaira:tongue:.
I am 15 years old, from S/E London and i am very interested in the subjects Physics and Drama.
I'm quite new to TSR but I hope to become more familiar in the next few weeks:h:.

The 10 GCSE subjects I will be taking are:
[AQA] Biology *
[AQA] Chemistry *
[AQA] Citizenship
[AQA] Drama
[AQA] English language
[AQA] English literature
[AQA] Geography
[EDEXCEL] Maths
[AQA] Physics *
[WJEC] R.E

*Triple science.

I am very nervous for year 11 because there will be very little time to improve my grades (All C's & B's), however I have decided this year to put all my effort into achieving straight A's at GCSE:smile:

After GCSE's I would like to study: Psychology, Drama and Maths for A level (As a fourth I may pick Physics but I am unsure at the moment), also im stil deciding between sixthform or college which is a really hard choice too:s-smilie:.

In the future i would like to Teach. Im not sure where or who or what yet though:biggrin:

Very little time? You have loads of time! You can easily bring it back to A/A*, before your exams, although I would say use a bit of time now, start building up your resources over time so you're not overworked nearer to the end. I hope you achieve your aspirations. What would you wish to do in the future?
Reply 25
Hey,I am od.xiv (those are my initals)

I am currently doing 11 GCSEs which are:

Spoiler

My favourite subjects are:

Biology

Law

Geography

Chemistry

I am considering the following subjects to take for A-Level:

Biology

Chemistry

Geography

Sociology/Psychology

I would like a career in Medicine but this would be heavily dependant on my GCSE results.If not Medicine then Pharmacy or a degree in Neuroscience or Biochemistry at a Russell Group university!
Hey guys I just finished year 11 and am awaiting my exam results in under a weeks time. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them!
Original post by XLittleSparrowX
Good luck new Year 11s! One piece of advice: Start revising after Christmas

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree. To lessen the workload, I'd suggest starting the accumulation of resources now, rather than trying to create revision notes right before you start revising.
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Hey guys I just finished year 11 and am awaiting my exam results in under a weeks time. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer them!

What did you take at GCSE, and what are you planning on taking at A-level?

How did you find exams stress-wise?
Original post by _gcx
Very little time? You have loads of time! You can easily bring it back to A/A*, before your exams, although I would say use a bit of time now, start building up your resources over time so you're not overworked nearer to the end. I hope you achieve your aspirations. What would you wish to do in the future?

Many year 11's tell me the time goes so fast! I wish I had taken my education much more seriously in year 10 though, oh well what can i do now:biggrin:. I've been studying alot since my mocks as i was fairly dissapointed with what I achieved
Thank you for your support! I hope you achieve yours too, and I am honestly not too sure what I would want to do in the future. I think teaching would be more suited to me but I think this could change (in year 8 i wanted to be a bus driver:tongue:)
Original post by Kaira1up
Many year 11's tell me the time goes so fast! I wish I had taken my education much more seriously in year 10 though, oh well what can i do now:biggrin:. I've been studying alot since my mocks as i was fairly dissapointed with what I achieved
Thank you for your support! I hope you achieve yours too, and I am honestly not too sure what I would want to do in the future. I think teaching would be more suited to me but I think this could change (in year 8 i wanted to be a bus driver:tongue:)

I too wish I concentrated from the beginning of the year. That's why I'm dedicating a decent portion of my time to building resources on Year 9, and early Year 10 work. Even if time goes by fast, there's still a lot of time between now and the exams! (270 days, or ~9 months :banana:)
Original post by Od.xiv
Hey,I am od.xiv (those are my initals)

I am currently doing 11 GCSEs which are:

Spoiler

My favourite subjects are:

Biology

Law

Geography

Chemistry

I am considering the following subjects to take for A-Level:

Biology

Chemistry

Geography

Sociology/Psychology

I would like a career in Medicine but this would be heavily dependant on my GCSE results.If not Medicine then Pharmacy or a degree in Neuroscience or Biochemistry at a Russell Group university!

The school is undecided on the exam board? That's odd that they haven't decided yet in Year 11, what specification have you been learning, or have you just been learning common topics from all of the exam boards [the exam boards differ slightly in content]? It's safe to bet it's going to be AQA though, lol.
Darn I wanted to be the first one on the thread I guess this is what happens when you are stuck in a place with no wifi :frown:

Hey I'm @MissChameleon and I'm from West London. I'm doing 13 GCSES which are:

Spoiler

Potential A-levels:
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
English Lit/Psychology/Computer Science

And... I'm hoping to go into medicine if not I got other plans which I may or may not have made yet :biggrin:
Hi I'm cate😊 I'm going into year 12 in Northern Ireland which (I think) is year 11 in England.

I'm doing 10 GCSE's all with CCEA

English language
English literature
Maths
Further maths
Double award science
History
Drama
RE
French

I'm really torn between the science route ( I love chemistry and I like physics and biology)
But I also love English and French (really languages)

So for my a levels I think I'll pick
Chemistry
English
French
Physics
Or biology

The first two are definite and the last three are interchangeable😁

Since I'm torn in two (very different) directions I'm finding it hard to pick a course. But I'm thinking about:

•Linguistics
•Genetics
•English
•Medecine (only so I can become a psychiatrist)
•French with Law

I'd like to become a psychiatrist or work in the EU/Brussels as a politician or work in the civil service (fast stream)
(As you can see I legit have no idea lol😁)
Reply 34
Original post by Cate1541
Hi I'm cate😊 I'm going into year 12 in Northern Ireland which (I think) is year 11 in England.

English language
English literature
Maths
Further maths
Double award science
History
Drama
RE
French

I'm really torn between the science route ( I love chemistry and I like physics and biology)

Chemistry
English
French
Physics
Or biology

Since I'm torn in two (very different) directions I'm finding it hard to pick a course. But I'm thinking about:

•Linguistics
•Genetics
•English
•French with Law

I'd like to become a psychiatrist or work in the EU/Brussels as a politician or work in the civil service (fast stream)

Best to do some work experience or a part-time job (ask your family/friends) to get your head around on what career you want to pursue. I want to be a politician but I'm not too keen with being an MEP, rather be an MP lol.
Original post by danielwinstanley
Omg Kill Me. It's actually one of the worst things I've done: so boring and so crap, and somehow I still get the marks. We've done activity 1,2 and 4 (4 will be finished after activity 3)

It is boring. I just write crap and I get marks. I hate ICT so much, requires you to pay attention all the time and focus which is hard because the subject is really tedious.

Original post by Gabzinc
I'm doing the evaluation for Animal Shelter. Still on it now, and its the longest, most boring of the tasks. My teacher says "it's super easy to get all the marks on it", though I think I'd rather do the actual activities -_-

Same. I am doing the draft evaluation for the animal shelter and it's really tedious, I get distracted so easily. My teacher can't control the class and I might have her next year.

There's no one in the Skype group who does ICT Edexcel :frown: I don't have anyone to moan about ICT to.
Original post by Cate1541

English language
English literature
Maths
Further maths
Double award science
History
Drama
RE
French

Chemistry
English
French
Physics
Or biology

•Linguistics
•Genetics
•English
•French with Law

Well, you have ages to decide! :biggrin: Have Ireland reformed their A-levels, or is it still AS/A2? If they haven't yet, you can take 4 then drop 1 after the first year. In the UK, I think we're stuck with 3 subjects, for now. That will help you leave your options open, like going w/ Biology, Chemistry, English and French, so you can go either route. Good luck with whichever path you decide on following!

Original post by MissChameleon
Darn I wanted to be the first one on the thread I guess this is what happens when you are stuck in a place with no wifi :frown:

Hey I'm @MissChameleon and I'm from West London. I'm doing 13 GCSES which are:

Spoiler

Potential A-levels:
Maths
Biology
Chemistry
English Lit/Psychology/Computer Science

And... I'm hoping to go into medicine if not I got other plans which I may or may not have made yet :biggrin:

Good luck! :biggrin:
Original post by _gcx
Well, you have ages to decide! :biggrin: Have Ireland reformed their A-levels, or is it still AS/A2? If they haven't yet, you can take 4 then drop 1 after the first year. In the UK, I think we're stuck with 3 subjects, for now. That will help you leave your options open, like going w/ Biology, Chemistry, English and French, so you can go either route. Good luck with whichever path you decide on following!

Good luck! :biggrin:

Good luck to you too! :smile:

I'm doing Macbeth, Jekyll & Hyde and An Inspector Calls too. What do you think about them? I'm doing Relationships from the poetry anthology.
Original post by MissChameleon
Good luck to you too! :smile:

I'm doing Macbeth, Jekyll & Hyde and An Inspector Calls too. What do you think about them? I'm doing Relationships from the poetry anthology.

MB and JH aren't too bad, a lot of the meanings are quite clear. I haven't started An Inspector Calls yet, we've just watched the film in class. For the anthology, I think we're doing Power and Conflict, and we started with London and Checking Out Me History on the last day of term.
Reply 39
Good luck to y'all. It'll be fine as long as u start nice and early (I started over Easter)
Good luck to all receiving results next week!

Latest