The Student Room Group

Too Many Books!

Hi

I admit I am a book lover. I also admit I (unfortunately) have too many books by the now piles of books around my bedroom because I have ran out of shelf room after returning from year 1 of Uni I therefore have worked out I need to get rid of some of my books :frown: which for a book lover like me is a upsetting thought.

I am struggling to start the task of sorting through what I want and don't want because I will discover things I've not read in a while and suddenly love and want to read again. Then the thought of actually parting with (sending to a charity shop, there is no way I could throw away or even recycle a book) anything is too much of a challenge.

I would just like some encouragement with it all please. any motivation or positive reasons as a reminder that this is a good plan, oh, and if anyone's had a similar problem how did you do it?

Thank you.
I get the same feeling when it comes to books and films (dvds). How I motivate myself is by remembering that by donating them not only does it help raise some money for the charity, but it also allows another person to enjoy the book /film. I hope this helps.
Just an idea as my parents dining room is now my book room.

Maybe get someone of them as ebooks?
I am also verging on book anxiety in that every time I finish a book I seem to have two more to read. Or I pop in to waterstones and there are just so many. When you think about you would probably not get through all the books in waterstones during your life time and that is about 0.0001% of all the books available!

There needs to be some form of counseling service for people overwhelmed by it all!
Original post by dipka
Hi

I admit I am a book lover. I also admit I (unfortunately) have too many books by the now piles of books around my bedroom because I have ran out of shelf room after returning from year 1 of Uni I therefore have worked out I need to get rid of some of my books :frown: which for a book lover like me is a upsetting thought.

I am struggling to start the task of sorting through what I want and don't want because I will discover things I've not read in a while and suddenly love and want to read again. Then the thought of actually parting with (sending to a charity shop, there is no way I could throw away or even recycle a book) anything is too much of a challenge.

I would just like some encouragement with it all please. any motivation or positive reasons as a reminder that this is a good plan, oh, and if anyone's had a similar problem how did you do it?

Thank you.

I'm the exact same, but with clothes hahaha, okay the books you really love and could read again and again, keep. If you know you'll never read this book again and you remember what it's about anyway then get rid of it.
If there's a book you would really recommend, give it to a friend!
Original post by dipka
x

It is so nice to see your love to books. And thus it is as you said so upsetting to give them off. Just an idea: How about a 'mini' library in a basement where a lot of books are lying in bookshelves? Otherwise give the books to people who appreciate to read. People where you know they are in good hands.*
Reply 6
I also have loads of books (two and a half bookcases in fact). I go through periodic clearouts though, to make room for the incoming logistics! :tongue:
Original post by john2054
I also have loads of books (two and a half bookcases in fact). I go through periodic clearouts though, to make room for the incoming logistics! :tongue:

And where are the books now? did you have give them away to good friends by any chance?
Reply 8
Original post by Kallisto
And where are the books now? did you have give them away to good friends by any chance?

I don't think my friends read books, sadly. I sold some of them to websites on the net, i can give you some links if you want to try this. But they don't pay very much for them, and generally speaking it has to be modern and in good condition, to get money for them. The only ones i kept were books which i think are still relevant to my education, or my favourites, or those that wouldn't sell. I have also given a lot away to charity shops. But i much rather have my own books, then get them from the library, and books are actually generally quite cheap these days. I can normally buy most of the books on my reading lists for £5-10 from amazon or ebay. I think i am the only person who does this though! :smile:
Original post by john2054
I don't think my friends read books, sadly. I sold some of them to websites on the net, i can give you some links if you want to try this. But they don't pay very much for them, and generally speaking it has to be modern and in good condition, to get money for them. The only ones i kept were books which i think are still relevant to my education, or my favourites, or those that wouldn't sell. I have also given a lot away to charity shops. But i much rather have my own books, then get them from the library, and books are actually generally quite cheap these days. I can normally buy most of the books on my reading lists for £5-10 from amazon or ebay. I think i am the only person who does this though! :smile:

I see. I don't know what I would do, if I have a lot of books. Maybe building a room or a basement reserved as a personal library, or giving them away to people who are reading books (and I really know some). Could be that I bequath them to family members, if I am dying. But till this time, I want to collect and to read lot of books as possible.
I offload my excess books to charity shops - most of the ones I buy are second hand through ebay/amazon/charity shops anyway.

Does anyone else like going into a charity bookshop whenever you are in a new place?

I think you can tell a bit about a place by the quality of the books in it's second hand bookshop

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending