The Student Room Group

Medicine with foundation year??

I have been looking at some universities for medicine with a foundation year course (6years) and they're asking for a B in both biology and chemistry.

Do you think I have a chance if apply with a B in chemistry but a C in Biology?

Would they still look/consider my application? or would they just look at the grade and discard my application completely?

Would they look at my overall performance?

Such universities are Nottingham, Bristol and Lancaster
Reply 1
--
Reply 2
Are you taking about AS grades or Predicted grades?

If they are predicted grades for A2, then you might not be looked at. I don't know about the 6 year course, but I applied for the 5 year course and the AAA is basically their minimum, and if you don't have the predictions for it, I was told you just get rejected. This would be ABB in your case for the 6 year course.

I think it might be the same situation as they are both so competitive, they normally see if you meet the minimum, and if you don't you just get eliminated and looked at no further.
Reply 3
Original post by soLit
Are you taking about AS grades or Predicted grades?

If they are predicted grades for A2, then you might not be looked at. I don't know about the 6 year course, but I applied for the 5 year course and the AAA is basically their minimum, and if you don't have the predictions for it, I was told you just get rejected. This would be ABB in your case for the 6 year course.

I think it might be the same situation as they are both so competitive, they normally see if you meet the minimum, and if you don't you just get eliminated and looked at no further.

I got my results this year (BBC). I have been looking at medicine with foundation year courses at universities such as Nottingham and Bristol and they are asking for BBC (B in both biology and chemistry).

I am just wondering would they still look at my application even if I don't have the B in biology? Would they look at my personal statements and everything else before deciding? Or would they just ignore my application based on the grades?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by marii_
I got my results this year (BBC). I have been looking at medicine with foundation year courses at universities such as Nottingham and Bristol and they are asking for BBC (B in both biology and chemistry).

I am just wondering would they still look at my application even if I don't have the B in biology? Would they look at my personal statements and everything else before deciding? Or would they just ignore my application based on the grades?

So your total A level grades are BBC, not AS? Ok, well in that case, I hate to say it, but you don't meet the minimum. I don't think they will look at your application. I think they will receive it through UCAS, and then see you miss the minimum and you will be rejected.

But don't trust my advise only, the best thing to do is email them! They normally reply with in a couple days.
Reply 5
Original post by soLit
So your total A level grades are BBC, not AS? Ok, well in that case, I hate to say it, but you don't meet the minimum. I don't think they will look at your application. I think they will receive it through UCAS, and then see you miss the minimum and you will be rejected.

But don't trust my advise only, the best thing to do is email them! They normally reply with in a couple days.

Thank you, I will try and email them. So they do tend to look at the grade and based on that they either continue or reject your application?
I was hoping they would look at the overall application.
Reply 6
Original post by marii_
Thank you, I will try and email them. So they do tend to look at the grade and based on that they either continue or reject your application?
I was hoping they would look at the overall application.

All I really know is from the A100 courses I applied to, and they all just looked to see if you met the minimum when it came to grades, and if you didnt you were rejected with no further action.

In all honesty, it will be the same. You miss the minimum grades you need to get into the course, so they wont look at you anymore (unless you have extenuating circumstances). I would recommend you take the graduate route if you are dead set on medicine!

But still, please email all your unis and ask!
Reply 7
Original post by soLit
All I really know is from the A100 courses I applied to, and they all just looked to see if you met the minimum when it came to grades, and if you didnt you were rejected with no further action.

In all honesty, it will be the same. You miss the minimum grades you need to get into the course, so they wont look at you anymore (unless you have extenuating circumstances). I would recommend you take the graduate route if you are dead set on medicine!

But still, please email all your unis and ask!

Some unis actually have contextual offers so if you applied to 5 year course medicine and do not meet the entry requirement they dont reject you straight away, they look at the circumstances of your achievements, never the less only a select few unis do this so its a good idea to check on their website for contextual offers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending