The Student Room Group

Do I have to work my 1 week notice?

I started working at tesco on the 1st June this year on a 13-week temporary contract. My contract ended on 9th August and I have not been given a new, permanent contract even though I was supposed to and have just been told they will get round to it and to keep working my hours as normal.

I want to leave for a new job and the handbook states I should give 1 week written notice. However I don't technically have a contract with tesco so would I be able to leave without working my notice?
Someone just left my store saying they will work one day and that was that, manager said she couldnt so much about her decision
your contract should actually say something about working or not during your notice period. It should say how long your notice period is and whether you're expected to work throughout it. When I left Trespass, I had a one week notice and I was expected to work the full notice unless my manager said otherwise
Original post by angrybun
I started working at tesco on the 1st June this year on a 13-week temporary contract. My contract ended on 9th August and I have not been given a new, permanent contract even though I was supposed to and have just been told they will get round to it and to keep working my hours as normal.

I want to leave for a new job and the handbook states I should give 1 week written notice. However I don't technically have a contract with tesco so would I be able to leave without working my notice?

Id ust give the 1 week notice. It isnt that long. And at least you will leave on decent terms, especially if you want a reference or anything.
Either you work and take the extra money or you don't, if you're not on a permanent contract but still getting paid I don't believe they can force you to stay with any repercussions due to your Temp contract expiring.

Tesco don't give personal references so it wouldn't matter in that aspect.
Reply 5
I would have no issue working the one week notice usually, but I am having huge issues with my manager and my hours for the next few weeks are awful and sometimes impossible for me to get there on time (I get there via public transport and it doesn't run that early) which she know but doesn't care. I don't feel I owe her any favours and would rather not work the notice as long as there will be no repercussions for me like not being paid right. I don't see how I will be in breach of contract because I don't actually have a contract with them. Thanks for the advice everyone

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending