The Student Room Group

What A Levels should I take

I want to do a psychology degree at university, and then a law conversion to become a lawyer. I do not know what A Levels I need for this. I was thinking of taking maths, psychology, philosophy&ethics or government&politics and maybe further maths. I do not know whether I need an English A Level to do this however I am not the strongest at English so I was wondering if it was really necessary? I am predicted all A*s at GCSE. Please help.
Reply 1
You've got pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeenty of time to think about it
Firstly why do a psychology degree if you know you want the be a lawyer, as the law conversion course is expensive and would take an extra year than just doing a law degree.
Secondly there is no point in doing further maths if you want to be a lawyer, Maths is a good choice however as long as it is combined with 2 essay subjects. For the other 2 I'd suggest essay subjects, out of these I believe History tends to be viewed the most favourably as well as one of the English courses (but I can't remember which one), other good choices could be Economics (as there is an essay based element), and although Psychology isn't always the best viewed option if you have a passion for it there is no reason not to choose it as the 3rd A level combined with 2 that are viewed more favourably.
Reply 3
Original post by hannahs122333
I want to do a psychology degree at university, and then a law conversion to become a lawyer. I do not know what A Levels I need for this. I was thinking of taking maths, psychology, philosophy&ethics or government&politics and maybe further maths. I do not know whether I need an English A Level to do this however I am not the strongest at English so I was wondering if it was really necessary? I am predicted all A*s at GCSE. Please help.

I suggest you go straight for a Law LLB course rather than doing Psychology first and both of them are entirely different courses so if you want to be a lawyer go straight for an LLB degree programme. I think you should take History and English Literature as they are the most suitable for Law and also highly respected facilitating subjects by universities. I suggest you also take Economics and maybe Government and politics as it would blend in with your choice of degree. There is no point in Maths, Further Maths or Psychology if you want to do Law. Do subjects that would relate to your choice of degree. For example, History teaches you how to how to argue your point of view which would be useful in Law.

English Literature is not necessary there really are no necessary A-levels for Law. If you don't want to do English Lit don't do it but generally it's a subject which is considered to be useful for Law.
I wouldn't recommend taking further maths at A-level unless you're wanting to go into a science/mathematical career, which a lawyer certainly isn't. Maths, government & politics, philosophy & ethics and psychology are a good choice of subjects in my opinion, as three of them are essay based and maths shows that you're diverse and shows your mathematical skills.
I've just started my first year of studying A-levels and I can say from experience that A-levels are a big step up, which I'm sure you've heard plenty, and considering I got A*s and As in everything and took the subjects I got the best grades in for A-level I'd say I'd be a pretty reliable source. So if you're not overly confident with English I'd recommend against taking it. Law doesn't specify that you've taken English, so as long as you've got essay based A-levels you'll be fine.
I take maths, further maths, biology, chemistry and physics so I'm probably not much help at telling you which of the subjects you'd enjoy the most, besides, it's different for everybody. Maths is a big jump up, even considering I got an A* at GCSE; however, I'm still enjoying it loads, and its manageable as long as you organise your time well and commit yourself to it. My friend is taking government & politics and she absolutely loves it, so if it's something you're interested in, I recommend going for it!
Don't worry too much about your A-level courses though. Apply for what you feel is best now, and if during the first few weeks you feel like they're not quite fitting colleges/sixth forms are often fairly willing to let you change as long as its done within the first few weeks.
Good luck for the future, I hope I've been of help!

Quick Reply

Latest