The Student Room Group

Engineering Graduate Schemes

I thought some people may find it useful if I cobbled together some tips based on my experience of going through the graduate recruitment process. Keep in mind this is based on the experience of someone going through the process, not someone making the decisions, so I won’t be able to give you the magic secret or whatever that will allow you to nail interviews or create the perfect CV.

It’s worth noting that many companies use the same or a very similar process for recruiting both graduates and interns. Therefore, I think much of this advice can be applied to both. And remember, it’s just that advice from someone who has been through the process. Your experience may vary.

1 What is a Graduate Scheme?

Spoiler

2 When to Apply

Spoiler

3 How to Apply

Spoiler

4 The Selection Process

Spoiler

5 Round Up

Spoiler

Lastly, be sure to check the Graduate Scheme Application Process from the TSR Wiki for more information and tips.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Solid thread @Smack! Can't believe you got asked questions that deep about cylindrical and hoop stresses, did they give you the formulas or where you expected to just know them?

The only questions I've encountered were:

-basic fluid flow principles in pipes.
-describing stress-strain curves
-CAD drawings (explain what the symbols mean....explain/guess how the parts are manufactured)

Also I've forgotten how to even draw bending moment diagrams lmao :rofl:
Original post by a10
Solid thread @Smack! Can't believe you got asked questions that deep about cylindrical and hoop stresses, did they give you the formulas or where you expected to just know them?

The only questions I've encountered were:

-basic fluid flow principles in pipes.
-describing stress-strain curves
-CAD drawings (explain what the symbols mean....explain/guess how the parts are manufactured)

Also I've forgotten how to even draw bending moment diagrams lmao :rofl:

I was asked to identify formulae written down. I got confused between pd/2t and pd/4t, and also forgot that we don't generally consider the radial stress in thin walled pipes/vessels. I wouldn't say it was deep, I was just out of practice at the time.

I haven't been asked to draw any super complicated bending moment diagrams; just basic stuff.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
I was asked to identify formulae written down. I got confused between pd/2t and pd/4t, and also forgot that we don't generally consider the radial stress in thin walled pipes/vessels. I wouldn't say it was deep, I was just out of practice at the time.

I haven't been asked to draw any super complicated bending moment diagrams; just basic stuff.

Yeah, that makes sense since the thickness is far too small you may as well ignore it. Thanks for the heads up.

It's amazing how much you forget just from not doing it! These grad schemes are hard as hell to get into as well....some of my colleagues have ended up screen-shotting test questions in order to apply next cycle :rofl: (dunno if i should release this kind of information :lol: )
Original post by a10
Yeah, that makes sense since the thickness is far too small you may as well ignore it. Thanks for the heads up.

It's amazing how much you forget just from not doing it! These grad schemes are hard as hell to get into as well....some of my colleagues have ended up screen-shotting test questions in order to apply next cycle :rofl: (dunno if i should release this kind of information :lol: )

Yes, I would say I have forgotten most things that I have no came across again since my degree. I think that, if you don't use it in a design based or professional capacity, you lose of a lot of it.
Original post by Smack
Yes, I would say I have forgotten most things that I have no came across again since my degree. I think that, if you don't use it in a design based or professional capacity, you lose of a lot of it.

How competitive are these schemes?
Original post by Flames786
How competitive are these schemes?

Very, generally.
I am 16 years old, and looking for an engineering work experience in or near High Wycombe, e.g. in London. Do you know any companies near High Wycombe which offer summer engineering work experiences for 16 year olds?
Reply 8
if you are interested in what you are looking write for email me your Skype or tel
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 9
How closely do they pay attention to your individual module grades as opposed to your overall average?
Semi-related. I just graduated in July and would like to try and land a graduate scheme for summer 2018, however, I'm not sure what to do with my time until then, it seems like a waste of time to just get a bar job for the next 9 months. Any advice on something I could do that's more worthwhile?
Original post by lewisnix21
Semi-related. I just graduated in July and would like to try and land a graduate scheme for summer 2018, however, I'm not sure what to do with my time until then, it seems like a waste of time to just get a bar job for the next 9 months. Any advice on something I could do that's more worthwhile?

Not to sound too blunt, but what about trying to secure an engineering job? You've got the degree.
Original post by Smack
Not to sound too blunt, but what about trying to secure an engineering job? You've got the degree.

What are you talking about? An engineering graduate scheme is a job. That is why you need an engineering degree to enter one. It usually lasts about 3 years where they cycle if between different departments and at the end offer you a permanent position that best suits your skill. Graduate schemes pay 26-28k.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. Do graduate schemes operate on seasonal basis then. So like you apply early in the year and secure a placement around the summer but if you're late you gotta wait another year. Also wouldn't it be hard to find an engineering job right after graduating since most require experience, thats why graduate schemes exist.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by verello12
What are you talking about? An engineering graduate scheme is a job. That is why you need an engineering degree to enter one. It usually lasts about 3 years where they cycle if between different departments and at the end offer you a permanent position that best suits your skill. Graduate schemes pay 26-28k.

EDIT: Sorry, I think I misunderstood you. Do graduate schemes operate on seasonal basis then. So like you apply early in the year and secure a placement around the summer but if you're late you gotta wait another year. Also wouldn't it be hard to find an engineering job right after graduating since most require experience, thats why graduate schemes exist.

What I was meaning, was that if you miss the year's graduate schemes, then rather than waiting for the next year's round, you'd be better off continuing to look for engineering opportunities that aren't actual graduate schemes (and that don't follow the typical graduate scheme cycle).

Typically graduate schemes open for applications around September/October and can close as early as December. The majority of engineering grads don't get a place on one of these schemes - they're far from the only opportunities available.
Also to mention when thinking about applying for a certain company you should check its grad programme reviews on Glassdoor

You will need to make an account but its fast.

Some companies will make their own review and rate it 5 stars but these are normally short ones
can I do an engineering degrees, do a tech/consultant Grad program and apply for an engineering job after that? I heard employers won't like that because you have forgotten your engineering knowledge?
Original post by Scrrooks
Hey guys,

I graduated over a year ago and have been trying to get onto a grad scheme in London but am finding it impossible. So far I've had 6 rejections for 2020 grad schemes and I'm sure there's more to come. I'm not even getting through to assessment centre stages, and I'm started to get worried now because a lot of deadlines have passed. Does anyone know of any less competitive engineering or tech companies I could look into?

I think London is slightly more saturated than the already saturated engineering graduate job market for the rest of the UK. I'm from north of the border but still had to be geographically mobile, interviewing from Inverness to the Isle of Wight! Still took 5 years of applying to finally land a £25k a year job. I don't think there is any such thing as a less competitive company- most will get triple figures of "suitably qualified" applicants for entry level roles so better to try and apply for ones that match your background and skills, be recommended for vacancies through your network, applying to all entry level jobs (grad schemes, early career jobs stating up to 2 years experience, speculative applications to SMEs, recruitment agencies) as well as uploading your cv to job boards and sites.
Original post by swelshie
I think London is slightly more saturated than the already saturated engineering graduate job market for the rest of the UK. I'm from north of the border but still had to be geographically mobile, interviewing from Inverness to the Isle of Wight! Still took 5 years of applying to finally land a £25k a year job. I don't think there is any such thing as a less competitive company- most will get triple figures of "suitably qualified" applicants for entry level roles so better to try and apply for ones that match your background and skills, be recommended for vacancies through your network, applying to all entry level jobs (grad schemes, early career jobs stating up to 2 years experience, speculative applications to SMEs, recruitment agencies) as well as uploading your cv to job boards and sites.

what did u do in the 5 yrs
Original post by Proxenus
what did u do in the 5 yrs

P much the above plus applying abroad (US, Canada and Australia), MOOCs and other online training for software develoer conversion, applying to teaching.

Time wise- spent couple months post graduation doing FS competitions then unemployed 3 months, move back in with parents (did have the option of my regular summer job but needed the time to apply to second round of grad schemes) so claimed benefits for another 3 months. Then worked in retail and medical device manufacturing before getting a graduate mechanical engineering position.
Original post by swelshie
P much the above plus applying abroad (US, Canada and Australia), MOOCs and other online training for software develoer conversion, applying to teaching.

Time wise- spent couple months post graduation doing FS competitions then unemployed 3 months, move back in with parents (did have the option of my regular summer job but needed the time to apply to second round of grad schemes) so claimed benefits for another 3 months. Then worked in retail and medical device manufacturing before getting a graduate mechanical engineering position.

seems that's engineer grads take a while before getting a job. I'll probably start getting depressed after 7 months. any advice for recent graduate?

Quick Reply

Latest