The Student Room Group

Further Maths A Level - Medicine

All people I've spoken to say that medical schools treat Maths and Further Maths as one A level, therefore it is completely pointless taking Further Maths to A2. If I do Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry, I would then still have 3 A levels in their eyes, but the university will disregard further maths completely, so it is more work for absolutely no reward. To confirm, I want to know if this is true for every single medical school in the UK, meaning that Further Maths has no advantage at all to medical students. I want to do further maths next year because I enjoy it a lot, and I have seen on Oxford's medical school website that a small percentage (around 11% I think it was) take Further Maths A Level.

I want to know if anyone here or anyone they know who has applied to medical school with Further Maths A2, and their experiences please, thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Yeah I'd like to know this too. I'm in exactly the same position, and even though I emailed some unis last year when picking my options they were all really vague and basically said 'you won't be at a disadvantage' which I think basically means they'll ignore it :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by surina16
Yeah I'd like to know this too. I'm in exactly the same position, and even though I emailed some unis last year when picking my options they were all really vague and basically said 'you won't be at a disadvantage' which I think basically means they'll ignore it :redface:

Nice to find someone in exactly the same position! Are you thinking of applying to medicine at oxbridge?
I hope they just treat it as any other 4th A level, so it's extra work, and I know it will be a lot of extra effort, but it will be enjoyable. They shouldn't ignore all my extra effort :tongue:
Original post by Ishan_2000
All people I've spoken to say that medical schools treat Maths and Further Maths as one A level, therefore it is completely pointless taking Further Maths to A2. If I do Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Chemistry, I would then still have 3 A levels in their eyes, but the university will disregard further maths completely, so it is more work for absolutely no reward. To confirm, I want to know if this is true for every single medical school in the UK, meaning that Further Maths has no advantage at all to medical students. I want to do further maths next year because I enjoy it a lot, and I have seen on Oxford's medical school website that a small percentage (around 11% I think it was) take Further Maths A Level.

I want to know if anyone here or anyone they know who has applied to medical school with Further Maths A2, and their experiences please, thanks in advance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if some medical schools did accept FM, there'd be no point taking 4 A-levels anyway.
Reply 4
Original post by HopelessMedic
Even if some medical schools did accept FM, there'd be no point taking 4 A-levels anyway.

I think you should take 4 if you want to and can handle it. I enjoy my 4th subject as it's essay based and a nice break from all the science
Reply 5
Original post by thatawesomekid
I think you should take 4 if you want to and can handle it. I enjoy my 4th subject as it's essay based and a nice break from all the science

Good. I also agree with this.
Reply 6
I think the majority of medical schools will not see it as a separate A-Level. Majority will, however, accept it as a 4th AS-Level, and if they don't they may just give you a higher offer with the new reforms.
I think quite a few say that if you do take it, they will not count it as a separate subject, and for your grade, will take the average grade of the two, so if you got an A* in Maths, but a B in FMaths, you would be counted as having achieved an A. Others will completely disregard it. I think there will be a few who do take it into account, though, but it really isn't necessary.

I do somewhat agree with the stance that it isn't exactly an extra subject, since it is literally just more maths. That said, I still wasn't willing to continue on with FMaths, doing 4 subjects myself due to the workload, uncertainty and increased difficulty from AS to A-Level, which actually would have been evident from what I'd heard, unlike what I'd found from GCSE to AS.
Reply 7
This isn't true of all unis for medicine, take a look at this http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/docs/A100-Medicine-2017-entry-summary.pdf
Reply 8
Original post by 99-bdk23
This isn't true of all unis for medicine, take a look at this http://www.furthermaths.org.uk/docs/A100-Medicine-2017-entry-summary.pdf

For a lot of them, it states here: "Further Maths is not mentioned", which should mean that taking it is just like taking any other 4th subject at A2. This is very clear, thanks a lot!! Very up to date, and useful.
Original post by thatawesomekid

Wouldn't a better break to not have any work at all? Also whilst you may be fine now when exam season comes around you may change your mind. But best of luck:smile:
Nice to find someone in exactly the same position! Are you thinking of applying to medicine at oxbridge?
I hope they just treat it as any other 4th A level, so it's extra work, and I know it will be a lot of extra effort, but it will be enjoyable. They shouldn't ignore all my extra effort :tongue:

Yeah, I mean I'm not 100% sure that I'll apply to do medicine, but I've looked at the oxbridge courses and think that I may give Oxford a shot? What about you? :smile:
Yeah same aha because I really want to do it to A2 because I'm finding the amount of Maths really enjoyable but I don't want them to think that I've done the same amount of work as someone with Bio, Chem, Maths :colonhash: Might contact a few of them again and see what they say :tongue: What other unis are you interested in?
To clarify im pretty sure most medical schools now do not regard maths and further maths separately and hence there is no benefit of taking both.
In my opinion if you are going to stress taking 4 A2 levels (which tbh is not needed, once your into medical schools you wont look at your A2 levels again, so having 4 wont make any difference considering you need 3 to get in, and you will kick yourself if you miss out on med school because you took on to much) then its best to take another subject which will actually be counted by the medical schools.

I know a girl who is now at med school and she did 4 with maths and further maths, she wished halfway through year 13 when she found this information out that she had dropped further maths at AS, she said this because A2 is harder, exams are harder, there is more stress with interviews and offers and making grades, and its not worth it for an extra grade on the paper. If you value medical school that much then its really not worth it, just focus on 3. She also said she could have easily gotten an A* in bio if it wasn't for further maths taking up all her time.
Original post by surina16
Yeah, I mean I'm not 100% sure that I'll apply to do medicine, but I've looked at the oxbridge courses and think that I may give Oxford a shot? What about you? :smile:
Yeah same aha because I really want to do it to A2 because I'm finding the amount of Maths really enjoyable but I don't want them to think that I've done the same amount of work as someone with Bio, Chem, Maths :colonhash: Might contact a few of them again and see what they say :tongue: What other unis are you interested in?

I think I'll apply to Cambridge actually, rather than Oxford. They're both basically the same though, so not too much difference in which one you apply to.
Exactly the same!! I know 4 A levels aren't needed, etc, but the vast majority of medicine applicants will do Bio, Chem and Maths, or another subject instead of Maths. Some will do an EPQ to stand out, but I cba with a EPQ tbh :lol: That's why I want to do F.maths, since I don't like my physics teachers atm!
In the link someone posted on this thread earlier, it says that they don't treat Further Maths any differently, which is good.
Apart from Cambridge, maybe UCL and another one in London like Barts, or King's, then one other UKCAT uni outside of London, like Edinburgh maybe. But they're all really good, so maybe I will choose one with slightly lower requirements for my 3rd/4th option. What about you?
Original post by Natalierm2707
To clarify im pretty sure most medical schools now do not regard maths and further maths separately and hence there is no benefit of taking both.
In my opinion if you are going to stress taking 4 A2 levels (which tbh is not needed, once your into medical schools you wont look at your A2 levels again, so having 4 wont make any difference considering you need 3 to get in, and you will kick yourself if you miss out on med school because you took on to much) then its best to take another subject which will actually be counted by the medical schools.

I know a girl who is now at med school and she did 4 with maths and further maths, she wished halfway through year 13 when she found this information out that she had dropped further maths at AS, she said this because A2 is harder, exams are harder, there is more stress with interviews and offers and making grades, and its not worth it for an extra grade on the paper. If you value medical school that much then its really not worth it, just focus on 3. She also said she could have easily gotten an A* in bio if it wasn't for further maths taking up all her time.

Useful information, thanks!
Not all do.
UEA will either require an EPQ to make up for it, or will give you a higher offer if I'm correct.
I'm pretty certain there are others, also, but that's the only one I know off the top of my head
... I have seen on Oxford's medical school website that a small percentage (around 11% I think it was) take Further Maths A Level.

But what was their rate of acceptance? Just saying 11% had it is meaningless.
Original post by nexttime
But what was their rate of acceptance? Just saying 11% had it is meaningless.

11% refers to 11% those applicants who did A levels (some did IB, international, etc) who chose Further maths. Actually, I can't remember whether this was applicants or people who are on the course.
11% refers to 11% those applicants who did A levels (some did IB, international, etc) who chose Further maths. Actually, I can't remember whether this was applicants or people who are on the course.

Yes but if 11% did FM but only 1% got in (or 30% did FM and only 11% got in) then that's not a very good case for studying FM is it.
Original post by nexttime
Yes but if 11% did FM but only 1% got in (or 30% did FM and only 11% got in) then that's not a very good case for studying FM is it.

Yeah I understand
The age old answer to the question is do it if you enjoy it but be aware that in most places it will not be counted. I did both Maths and F Maths and to be honest really enjoyed taking the time out from Biology and Chemistry. If you're naturally good at maths and don't find A level particularly challenging then it shouldn't take too much time away from your other A levels. If you're struggling then drop it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending