The Student Room Group

Hi guys,I need Ur help in this English question

A newspaper invites young people to write the article about television programmes you either love or loathe.
So anyone has any idea what can I talk about??
Thanks
Think about TV programs that interest you and why.
Original post by anojan
A newspaper invites young people to write the article about television programmes you either love or loathe.
Thanks

Pick your favourite tv program and explain why you like it.
To push ahead in this, I would also talk about any negative points in it.
Have you ever watched TV. Did you like some of it, if so what and why? Make a lst of reasons.
Alternatively was there anything you didnt like? If so what and why? Make a list of reasons.

We have no idea what you have watched and whether you liked or disliked it.
Do you know what TV I have watched and whether I liked or disliked it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by anojan
Thanks

Firstly, I would either pick one TV programme I love or loathe or I would pick one of each and maybe do a little bit of a comparison (I would only do this if you feel confident). I would then read some articles online to get a feel for how they are set out (e.g title, by-line, sub-heading, etc). The main thing that you need to focus on is writing in the style of an authentic article. You can do this by engaging with your audience - adding humour, be comversational in places, maybe adding second person pronouns so that you are including the reader and, most importantly, being critical of the programme(s) you are talking about!
Hope this helps. :smile:
We wrote our English GCSE Controlled Assessment on this topic last week. It's an opinion piece of writing so you need to use persuasive and emotive language for either love or loathe, but not both (our teacher gave distinct instructions not to mix the two). I chose to write about a genre rather than a single TV programme (as advised by our teacher), my topic was TV cooking programmes and that I loathe them. Pick a programme or genre that you know well and which you feel strongly about, it will make writing easier. I used a catchy title and intro paragraph, then my content consisted of three paragraphs each covering a point about why I loathe them, and a conclusion paragraph summing up my main points. One of my three main content paragraphs acknowledged an opposing view in which I countered it. Other students in my class wrote about soaps, wildlife documentaries, reality TV shows, investigative journalism programmes.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending