The Student Room Group

what choices do i have? im a total flop!!!

Ok, well all of my life ive wanted to do an english literature degree, but now knowing that my final grade has become a C.. its seems highly unlikely that i will be accepted into a good university with the grade remaining that way! And my A level Sociolgy has also become a C. So what options do i have? degree wise and career wise? In september im starting intensive history (which is first year and second year history IN ONE YEAR) and I'm finishing my A level in Government and Politics and taking up first year law. So what the hell can i do???? oh and ps... please be brutally honest with me!! :confused: Kiran xxx
kirand
Ok, well all of my life ive wanted to do an english literature degree, but now knowing that my final grade has become a C.. its seems highly unlikely that i will be accepted into a good university with the grade remaining that way! And my A level Sociolgy has also become a C. So what options do i have? degree wise and career wise? In september im starting intensive history (which is first year and second year history IN ONE YEAR) and I'm finishing my A level in Government and Politics and taking up first year law. So what the hell can i do???? oh and ps... please be brutally honest with me!! :confused: Kiran xxx

If you've got two A-levels at grade C, i don't see the point of doing 3 more A-levels on top of this. If you want to do English, you should work on your English grade and get it up to an A (or at least a B, as there are a few decent universities which accept a B). If you're set on doing History in a year, then that will be enough work in itself (6 units!) without adding in A2 Politics AND AS Law! Perhaps pick Politics OR Law, to go with History, and then retake some of the English units (wherever you did worst - coursework could be a good option as you get to work on it rather than in an exam where the pressure is really on). Or, just do History and redo some English modules and forget Law and Politics altogether - I really think you'd be fine with an A in English, a C in Sociology, the AS in Politics and a decent grade in History.

Just don't overload yourself.
Reply 2
The priority for you should be to improve the English grade, and then to improve any others you may have. It does sound a little much to be starting history from scratch AND Law. Aim to get three good grades, rather than 5 mixed ones. Improving the English grade is essential if you want to study Lit at a good uni.
Reply 3
Go speak to a Connexions advisor.
A couple of friends of mine 'screwed up' rather magnificently, or so they thought this year, and the Connexions people seemingly made everything clear again and really helped. Best advice anyone can offer..!

And i'm off to study English and History this coming year, and my grades were BCC (totally NOT what i was predicted/expecting). So yknow, all is not entirely lost...
Reply 4
hey vikrum if u dont mind me askin where wil u be studying this degree??
Reply 5
Dundee! Ha!
Never thought i'd end up there. I applied to Kings, UCL, Glasgow etc last year.

Scotland's generally quite a good bet though because you basically do 3 subjects for your first two years (it's a 4 year degree, you get an MA not just a BA). So for example you got an A in Politics, you might apply to do that at Edinburgh (just say). But for 1st and 2nd year you have to take modules for two other subjects. So you could be studying politics, English and history for two years in a Uni/lecture environment to work out what will be best for you. Which is exactly what i'll be doing. :smile: It's pretty easy to switch, cause in Scotland you're accepted into the Faculty more than onto a course. It might be CCC for an English degree, but it'd be the same for History, Politics etc because it's all part of the Arts Faculty.

Plus, you can always resit modules from AS, no? I did resits for my ENTIRE AS politics course in my A2 and went from a D to an A. It really does depend on what questions you get come up, it might be worth another bash!
Reply 6
thanks alot!!!! u lot helped so much! xx

Latest

Trending

Trending