The Student Room Group

Queens University Belfast PGCE applications 2017

Hi!

I applied for a PGCE in Religious Studies at Queens a little while ago and have no clue what the procedure is. My reference just contacted me telling me that he had been contacted by Queens and that he has sent in my reference, but I haven't heard anything from Queens? Should I be worried? Or do they contact references before they even consider giving you an interview? Any insight would be much appreciated (also any other advice about Queen's PGCE's would be excellent)

LJ

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Sorry no idea! I got a letter today asking me to do an interview & presentation layer in Dec but no idea about my references...
Reply 2
Thanks cmca86 :smile: what was it that you were applying for? Was it R.E.?
Original post by LJMC
Hi!

I applied for a PGCE in Religious Studies at Queens a little while ago and have no clue what the procedure is. My reference just contacted me telling me that he had been contacted by Queens and that he has sent in my reference, but I haven't heard anything from Queens? Should I be worried? Or do they contact references before they even consider giving you an interview? Any insight would be much appreciated (also any other advice about Queen's PGCE's would be excellent)

LJ

I think they usually contact the references before offering you an interview. I have applied for science. My reference told me a couple of weeks ago that she had been contacted, and I got a letter today inviting me to interview in December.

Sam
Reply 4
Hi! I have an interview for Science on the 19th of Dec and have to give a presentation. Does anyone know what level it should be aimed at? It says an area of science that interests you so I'm not sure whether to do it on something University based or aim for secondary level
Reply 5
Original post by LJMC
Hi!

LJ

Hi

I also applied for Religious Studies. I recevied my letter last week for interview next week. I know they contact your references first and do the interviews in stages

Have you heard anything yet?
Reply 6
Hi again,

Sorry I am clueless lol. I would probably talk about secondary level science stuff- 5 minutes is actually hardly any time at all once you start talking so you won't have that much space for tons of minute detail. Just try to make sure your interest/ enjoyment comes across I'd say.

My application is for English so my presentation is about how my experience has familiarised me with the demands of teaching and the processes of learning. It's this Friday! I haven't been contacted by my references but they were my uni tutors and I graduated way back in 2008 so they probably just sent a pretty generic reference back, I wouldn't be in regular contact with them. Anyone already had their interview??
Original post by emmah956
Hi! I have an interview for Science on the 19th of Dec and have to give a presentation. Does anyone know what level it should be aimed at? It says an area of science that interests you so I'm not sure whether to do it on something University based or aim for secondary level

Hi Emma

I've only just seen this. I also had my interview for Science today! How did you get on? I think mine went ok, but flew by! Just glad to have it behind me now :-)

Samantha
Reply 8
Original post by samanthani
Hi Emma

I've only just seen this. I also had my interview for Science today! How did you get on? I think mine went ok, but flew by! Just glad to have it behind me now :-)

Samantha

Hi Samantha,

How did your interview go? Did it last long? I have mine on Wednesday! I will be glad to have mine behind me too.
:smile:
Reply 9
Has anyone else applied for ICT/Computing PGCE and had an interview yet?
Hi

The interview was fairly short and informal. The presentation is first, then there's about 4 questions, with time at the end for you to ask questions. I think the allocated time is 15-20 mins (the interviews are scheduled to be 20 minutes apart), but I don't think the interviewers are strict on time.

Samantha
Hello
I have my interview on 20th Jan have no clue what to do for my presentation, mines on science any one point me in the right direction ? would be greatly appreciated!
Happy new year!
Thanks
Dan
Reply 12
Original post by del90
Hi

I also applied for Religious Studies. I recevied my letter last week for interview next week. I know they contact your references first and do the interviews in stages

Have you heard anything yet?

Sorry I'm just seeing this now.

For some reason the notifications from this site got put into my spam folder :frown:

I hope your interview went well!

I had an interview too!

Have you heard anything back yet?

I had a friend who interviewed for English get an email with a kind of preliminary offer (places pending) but I've heard nothing :frown:

Wondering if I should give up hope or does the Religion PGCE work a little differently?

Reply 13
Original post by dallen623
Hello
I have my interview on 20th Jan have no clue what to do for my presentation, mines on science any one point me in the right direction ? would be greatly appreciated!
Happy new year!
Thanks
Dan

Hi Dan!

Sorry, I can't really give you advice on science but I can give you the non-subject specific question that me and a friend got!

What are extra curricular activities important?

What would you be most and least comfortable with in a pastoral care role?

How would you inspire a child?

How would you bring your subject to life?

Why do you want to be a teacher?

How would you contribute to the schools extra curricular activities?

What are the qualities of a good teacher?

I focused way too much on my presentation and found that my answers to the questions weren't as good as they should have been so if I were you I would definitely dedicate a bit of time to prepping questions.

I don't know if the questions would be as general for science. But I was really thrown when the interview questions were so general. I was prepared for subject specific ones and not for these ones. So it'd probably be no harm to have a few answers prepared?

LJ
Reply 14
Original post by samanthani
I think they usually contact the references before offering you an interview. I have applied for science. My reference told me a couple of weeks ago that she had been contacted, and I got a letter today inviting me to interview in December.

Sam

Thanks Sam :smile:
Reply 15
Hi, good luck and I hope you get onto your PGCE! Did you say your friend has already been offered a place? Because I applied for English too and had an email on the 6th January saying that interviews were still ongoing. I wish we could find out sooner.
Reply 16
I had an interview for English in Dec but haven't received any emails yet!! 😕😕
Reply 17
Has anyone received confirmation of a place yet? Or were you told during your interview of when they would let you know?
Reply 18
Original post by pinash91
Hi, good luck and I hope you get onto your PGCE! Did you say your friend has already been offered a place? Because I applied for English too and had an email on the 6th January saying that interviews were still ongoing. I wish we could find out sooner.

I hope you get yours too!! She got an email telling her what to do if she was chosen but it stipulated that places were yet to be allocated.

So not really an offer but I think maybe a sign?

I hate the waiting too!! I want to be put out of my misery either way haha
Reply 19
Original post by lm21
Has anyone received confirmation of a place yet? Or were you told during your interview of when they would let you know?

My guy said March before any places were confirmed for R.E. :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending