The Student Room Group

The big and shiny work experience bible

Scroll to see replies

<(+_+)>
My closest vet clinic was really rude when I asked them ( I was there in person because my guinea-pig needed the lump on his leg to be checked out) and said no straight away.

There are a few others, but it means more travelling. Wish I could drive lol.

How rude =o

Yeah, the travelling sucks lol.
with reference to the cattery and kennels experinece, i worked at kennels and cattery every sat for five months betwn 2004 and 2005. i stopped working there because there was a change in owners. i then got a job at another kennels, cattery and grooming palour in april 2005 where i still work now. i worked every sat and sunday and up to five days a week in the holidays for four hours a day. After summer 2006 they hired someone else so i could work every other weekend and gain experinece elsewhere. i wok 3-4 days every week in the holidays now. my main job is in the cattery which is basicly cleaning out, feeding and giving medication etc. but i do also do some work with the kennels in the holidays and some work for the groomin palour where i was able to bath and groam dogs.

All the work at kennels and catteries has been paid work, and now funds the petrol for my car so i can get to all my other placements that are volunteering.

I wrote letters to get these jobs. In the first batch i wrote 4 letters, got 3 replies, two said no cause i was under 16 the other was my first job. After finishing this ob i wrote 6 letters, i again got three replies one no, one i will keep you on file until a job comes up and one yes. funnily enough i was offered a job almost 2 years later by the one hat kept me on file, i didnt have enough time though. lol.

hop that helps!! xx
i was reading through some really old threads and saw that some one said "dont bother with dog grooming"
why would this be? Ive done a week dog grooming and thought it would be something slightly different
no idea....i would of thought dog groaming would teach you alot about dog handling and care...would you not?? besides and experinece is an experinece......
Stupid Cats Protection won't take me; I am SO screwed :frown: :frown:
get out the yellow pages, look up cattery/kennels. ring around. ask if they have any part time jobs/weekend jobs. if they say yes then be all thankful lol if they say no then ring up the next one lol.
I've phoned 2 stables and they haven't rung back yet. I'm going to phone another cattery tomorrow; it's too late to call now.

I'm waiting for replies from 3 vets for half-term...

What else can I do??
YAY; I'm now gonna start working at this big cattery (cats hotel to be exact) every Saturday morning :biggrin:
go into the vets yourself....smile look all nice and ask them...make then reli like you. and thn prehaps they will take you on for work experience. go where you take your own animals if you have any.
Yeah, I'm asking the vets where we take our cat.
I'm not sure exactly what to wear for my Sat morning cattery w/e starting this week... would jeans be fine?
Well according the Bible -

What to wear
Use your common sense- don&#8217;t wear your best mini skirt and Gucci hat!

For a farm you&#8217;ll need wellies (steel toe caps are useful and save a great deal of pain), and some old clothes (once you get to uni you&#8217;ll need boiler suits so investing in those now might be an idea!).

Vets usually like you to dress smart/casual but again don&#8217;t wear your best suit or anything, you will get blood/poo/moggy fur on you so be warned.

Stables- if your horsey throw on your jodhpurs, stable boots etc, if not wellies/walking boots/possibly trainers and old clothes will do!

Kennels- walking boots/trainers and old clothes

Ring up and ask if you&#8217;re not sure- they&#8217;ll be glad your showing enthusiasm!

=)
i was told by the kennels im going to, to wear old clothes.
i bought a pair of jeans from primark specially for work exp. they have been covered in ****, chewed by rabbits, gotten soaked in muddy water, covered in dog and horse slobber etc.
but it doesnt matter for them
This is quite a posh cattery from the looks of it lol.

I think I'll wear jeans, trainers and a polo shirt; can't go wrong with that really...
Reply 194
Hi! I'm doing a weeks work exp at a Dairy farm over my half term. I'm excited but not quite sure what to expect. I'm working reeally long days and curious what sort of thing i'll be doing! Any insight?
lucy!!
Hi! I'm doing a weeks work exp at a Dairy farm over my half term. I'm excited but not quite sure what to expect. I'm working reeally long days and curious what sort of thing i'll be doing! Any insight?

Your hours will really vary; as a work experience girl i did 9:30 til 6ish as a vet student i did 5:30 til 7/8ish. It really varies on the place. You will milk, look after calves, may do some calfpen mucking out, i also ended up doing some destructive gardening which was fun, ear tagging, calving, dehorning (maybe i only did as a vet student). Generally just be willing to help out with anything.

Hope that helps

x
A couple of Qs:

There's a farm right behind me, but I don't know if it's classed as a dairy farm... I know they have sheep and cattle, but that's about it I think... Would it be worthwhile spending some time there? I don't know what I could do there really, except for cleaning out the barns or w/e.

Also, all the way back in Year 5, we went to a large farm for a week, doing many a thing there like walking the horses, mucking out stables, milking the goats, sheep walking, etc etc. Is it absolutely ridiculous to talk about this, and to say what I did at this farm? (In my PS I mean). If I got an interview and I was asked the when and wheres, it would sound so stupid saying "uh, 8 years ago... :redface:" It was experience though... mehh.
Reply 197
It might not be a dairy farm but you can still get experience but it could be more random days then a whole week in a block or something.

At the moment they may be body condition scoring ewes to get them up to weight before tupping (may be a bit late but you never know). Even if it's just beef you could go and see some calvings, and generally help when they're doing something en mass. Basically, your best bet is talking to this farmer, getting into their good books and either spend a week there when they know they're doing something busy eg. after Christmas when they're pregnancy diagnosing ewes (if they do that) or giving him/her your mobile number and ask them to ring you when there's a calving/foot trimmer/vet coming. :smile:
Yeah, random days or a random weekend would prob. be better...

Yeah, I suppose it's best to contact them when good stuff is happening.
city_chic
A couple of Qs:

There's a farm right behind me, but I don't know if it's classed as a dairy farm... I know they have sheep and cattle, but that's about it I think... Would it be worthwhile spending some time there? I don't know what I could do there really, except for cleaning out the barns or w/e.

Also, all the way back in Year 5, we went to a large farm for a week, doing many a thing there like walking the horses, mucking out stables, milking the goats, sheep walking, etc etc. Is it absolutely ridiculous to talk about this, and to say what I did at this farm? (In my PS I mean). If I got an interview and I was asked the when and wheres, it would sound so stupid saying "uh, 8 years ago... :redface:" It was experience though... mehh.

you could mention it in your interview, saying that youve always liked animals etc, and have been looking after them for as long as you remember, even before you thought to do it for uni or something.
Wouldnt count as work exp as was years ago, but couldnt you go back there for a bit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending